Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
19 March, 2024, 09:07:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ** IMPORTANT ** Please read - Possible Scam emails  (Read 5772 times)
Thotos
Administrator
Megaposter

Theo Kyriacou

« on: 07 November, 2020, 01:43:27 PM »

Please ignore any emails you may receive from an LMC member along the lines of:

Sent: <Date>
Subject: Greetings

Hello,

Let me know if you receive my message I need a little favor from you

Regards, <name>

It appears that one or some LMC members may have had their contacts list hacked and emails such as the above are being sent out.
Please do not reply to any such email.  

Theo Kyriacou
Mikenoangelo
Megaposter

« Reply #1 on: 08 November, 2020, 09:10:37 AM »

Firefox browser always flags up that the LMC website is insecure, saying that scammers can see information, passwords etc. I have always ignored this warning as I can't do anything about it but is it not time for the site to be ovehauled and made secure?

Mike
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 08 November, 2020, 09:54:47 AM »

Interesting - I use Firefox on a mac and have never had this message. Is it a settings thing ?

Re Scam emails, I have received 2 so far from lmc members

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 08 November, 2020, 12:14:03 PM »

One scam received. Richard

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 08 November, 2020, 12:28:41 PM »

I have ignored at least one scam e-mail. My connection to the Forum is also flagged as insecure with trackers being blocked. I also still get kicked out with a "Forbidden" message after about ten minutes on the Forum.
Mikenoangelo
Megaposter

« Reply #5 on: 08 November, 2020, 02:33:09 PM »

I was alerted by the odd message as shown on the first post - guessed it was scam and phoned the "sender" , an LMC member whom I know, who confirmed my suspicions.

The Firefox warning shows up at the start of the web address at the top of the Firefox search page. There is a padlock shown which , if the site is safe is plain black, if extremely dodgy has a red "X" across it or if as per LMC site suspect has a yellow triangle which if clicked upon gives a warning message.

Mike
rikardo
Megaposter

« Reply #6 on: 08 November, 2020, 07:09:38 PM »

I also use a Mac with Safari (Apple's own browser) and it doesn't see there's a problem, although I'm still running High Sierra OSX, as my Mac won't run a newer OSX due to hardware limitations. I don't know if that has a bearing or not. Mac OSX does tend to be more "awkward" for hackers etc. to get at/into, so this may explain it.
However, both Firefox and Chrome (I use them also) both state the site is insecure, as described.

1992 Delta HF integrale
1993 Dedra integrale
and several Alfas
Derek Creasy

Here's to sunnier days

« Reply #7 on: 11 January, 2021, 04:16:09 PM »

I have ignored at least one scam e-mail. My connection to the Forum is also flagged as insecure with trackers being blocked. I also still get kicked out with a "Forbidden" message after about ten minutes on the Forum.

I get the "Forbidden .Port 703" message very often when I try to navigate from one part of the site to another .  What is worse is that when it does appear , there is nothing I can do because that is all I get even if I try to log in again , I have to leave it till the next day before I can log in again .  Have notified several times but am told there is nothing wrong ?

2000HF Coupe          1972
Fulvia Sport  1.3S     1968
Delta 3 2.0 Limited   2012
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #8 on: 11 January, 2021, 04:25:49 PM »

Me too. There must be something wrong...

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
peteracs
Administrator
Rebel Poster

« Reply #9 on: 14 January, 2021, 11:07:48 PM »

It is odd that it only affects certain people, never seen it myself and I use IPad and OSX.

I do wonder if this is related to the recently discussed issue of the forum being quite old and the updates applied to the underlying runtime system. This has caused a few problems and this may be one of them.

There is a plan to look to run a later version of the forum, however not a simple move unfortunately.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
JohnMillham
Permanent resident

« Reply #10 on: 17 April, 2021, 01:35:36 PM »

My eMail account has been hacked again today. Please ignore any requests supposedly from me. Regards, John Millham
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd