Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
19 March, 2024, 02:13:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Book - "Lancia in the UK" - Thoughts and Reviews  (Read 48067 times)
sparehead3
Administrator
Permanent resident

« on: 04 March, 2014, 02:01:45 PM »

This topic is a place for members to put their thoughts , comments, reviews and anything they want to about the new book that is being received from 4th March 2014 ....

Please remember that this is a public thread and that text here will be shared with the world - including non-members and LMC members that are not on the Forum but would like to see our views ...

Update 14-03-2014 - we have deliveries in the UK! Please keep to the subject of this thread - your THOUGHTS and REVIEWS - if you haven't received a copy then please use the other thread here http://www.lancia.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=6948.0 or contact the Club Treasurer
« Last Edit: 14 March, 2014, 12:59:00 PM by sparehead3 » Logged

Regards,
Steve Pilgrim
sllim1946

« Reply #1 on: 07 March, 2014, 06:34:39 PM »

THE BOOK

I expect some of you are wondering where your copy is as you may have heard that some members have received theirs.

The books are printed, bound, boxed and addressed. Those for overseas and bulk orders which are being delivered by courier have been dispatched. Those single copies for UK delivery for which the most economic deliver method is via Royal Mail under the club's bulk mail contract are suffering a delay as the paperwork that covers the mailing of the monthy magazine apparently does not cover books! When this glitch has been ironed out they will be on their way to you.

Will let you know when this ASAP.

Brian Mills
« Last Edit: 07 March, 2014, 06:42:10 PM by sllim1946 » Logged

1961 Appia Berlina S3
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 07 March, 2014, 08:16:09 PM »

Thank you for the up-date Brian.......most of us will sleep more soundly tonight......

P

PS ....and dreaming that if we all lived in Switzerland we'd have read, digested and reviewed it by now.....Wink

Frank Gallagher
Sebastien
Megaposter

« Reply #3 on: 07 March, 2014, 09:06:30 PM »

P,
I shall take the bait:

I shall not review it yet  Wink
I have not digested it either...

However, I shall just say, as before, that I am still completely immersed in it. When you take it up, you stay with it for hours, and you always learn something new, or discover new people. And the people are what makes this book special!

So have a nice whisky tonight, in whatever size you prefer, and suffer the next few days: it is really worth the wait...

Sebastien, your LMC member in Switzerland
« Last Edit: 07 March, 2014, 09:08:41 PM by Sebastien » Logged
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 07 March, 2014, 10:10:05 PM »

Grin

Grin

Tongue

Sebastien........what can I say........your self restraint under extreme provocation has not passed un noticed.........

Indeed I shall ask the committee to institute a new award......exclusive to Swiss residents..........and concurrent members of the LMC forum

Wink

The "Poked with a sharp stick" award.......

I suspect you will be the only and indeed willing recipient of the same....Smiley

Congratulations........and thanks for not spilling the HEINZ......................aka....beans!

P

Frank Gallagher
peterbaker
Permanent resident

www.retro-speed.co.uk

« Reply #5 on: 07 March, 2014, 10:26:46 PM »

I wonder, what does 'bulk' order mean?

1961 Lancia Flavia 1.5 Berlina. FIAT Abarth. 1954 Daimler Conquest. 2003 MG ZT-T 135. 1998 SAAB 9-5 3 litre turbo.
sllim1946

« Reply #6 on: 08 March, 2014, 08:32:13 PM »

Peter,

Nothing sinister, multiple purchases would have been a better description. It refers to those that bought more than one copy- those additional copies being at £40 per copy.
Sorry to cause confusion (consternation?)

Enjoy Lancia
Brian Mills

1961 Appia Berlina S3
TonyLanciaBeta
Megaposter

« Reply #7 on: 08 March, 2014, 10:59:57 PM »

I ordered one, still no show  Huh?

Tony Harrison #12704
LMC Beta Advisor
1981 Beta Coupe 1600
1981 Beta Coupe 2L- under restoration
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #8 on: 08 March, 2014, 11:04:02 PM »

I ordered two copies and nothing arrived yet.
Chris

Chris Gawne
Mobile: 07778 216552
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #9 on: 14 March, 2014, 12:23:22 PM »

Arrived!!

Jack's note "How to use this book" on the inside of the flap is "very Jack", a delight, and a great encouragement to sit down and really read the thing.

On first flick through, once past the excitement of what was once my Aurelia on the back cover, the delight was a soft toy red elephant that I'd never seen before.  For the layout I like the way the "asides" slip in. The other impression is that there's a lot of words, what it is NOT is a photo album and some lazy filler - there's obviously a rollicking yarn in there.

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
Dilambdaman
Permanent resident

« Reply #10 on: 14 March, 2014, 01:57:33 PM »

Arrived today and 'twas all I could do to stop myself reading it from cover to cover!  Roll Eyes

First impressions make it difficult not to wax lyrical using lots of well worn (and overworked) superlatives. However, on the face of it it does appear to be very, very good and a fitting testament to the huge commitment of Jack and the team who put it together. Not forgetting Ted Bates of course. Grateful thanks to you all.

I certainly didn't expect to figure in anyway but there I am on page 199 in the back row of onlookers at the Covent Garden 2007 celebration. And best of all, on the back cover with Modestine at the NEC 2007 show. Totally made up! Smiley

Robin.

Robin Lacey 3222

1932 Dilambda
1992 Y10 GTie
2012 Delta Mk3
nyssa7
Megaposter

« Reply #11 on: 14 March, 2014, 05:11:08 PM »

Arrived today, not sure the index is up to much as I looked up Y10 and was mis-directed, but otherwise looks a worthy read

Now just need to find some time

2000 kappa coupe 20vt
1996 kappa saloon 20vt race car
the "Yntegrale"
1999 Lotus Elise S1
2016 AMG GTS

Y10 Advisor
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #12 on: 16 March, 2014, 01:42:15 PM »

Am a bit surprised no-one has ventured a detailed review or are people savouring the moment before posting in this thread?

For myself as a newcomer to things Lancia, the book is a complete revelation. I didn't open the properly packaged medium sized parcel that arrived via my front window, where I sit at my computer immediately, I decided to wait for a few days until a window of opportunity appeared, this I thought is a special book worthy of my complete attention and maybe even reverence.

Its a bigger tome than I expected, both in page size and page total, the outer glossy, photo heavy cover itself tells it own story. A collage of the cars that fascinate us, of the people fascinated by all things Lancia and moments, and events that stick in our minds eye for an eternity.

Am not sure if I'm a bit odd, but I like the scene to be set, the main characters introduced, a raison d'etre as to the origins of the book, its contributors and those as members who might read it. I noted the quality of the paper, the paper weight and finish, a great deal of consideration went into these three simple but vital aspects of any book worth its printing. And I like to catch the faint aroma of newly printed, first read paper in my nostrils.

I opened the book gingerly, noting again how its not been too stiffly bound to allow easy of opening relatively flattish and indeed to nestle in your lap more readily. Inner flap instruction panel dually read by our esteemed editor Jack Romano, I immediately turned to the index remarking on its two page brevity and conciseness. The index didn't appear too technically biased so I realised indeed that the book was as much about people as it was about Lancia, the two completely interwoven with each other.

Being more a person type, than truly mechanically able, or in any way knowledgable about things technical, I opted to start at Chapter 17: Some great characters from Lancia's past.

This I felt was more appropriate than starting out reading about the history, the machinations of big business and doubtless the politics that surrounded a foreign luxury car maker over a 100 odd years period selling cars in the GB/UK market. After completely absorbing this chapter, I'm very glad I did. Such was the array of truly wonderful people and the recollections of current, former and late members, I felt indeed quite humbled but bizarrely, also elated that I'd been allowed to become a member of a truly unique car club. The stories and anecdotes shared give a real insight to those who owned, drove and restored their beloved Lancias. Also the members of the club who gave years/decades of service to a club and marque they felt so very passionate about was truly inspiring.

If the rest of the book is half as interesting and inspiring as chapter 17 then I am in for a treat as I work my way through its remaining chapters.....even at this stage I'd like to thank all those involved in any shape or form, especially the late Ted Bates for his legacy and Jack Romano as editor and of course the committee whose steady hands brought this project to its wholesome fruition.

P

Frank Gallagher
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #13 on: 16 March, 2014, 04:07:58 PM »

Mine came Friday, only had time to glance through it but it looks splendid.    Jack has obviously produced a masterpiece even if it has cost him a heart attack!    I've had the operation (but not the heart attack) and am back to normal so all looks bright for him.  Courage mon brave! (or whatever that is in Italian).

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #14 on: 16 March, 2014, 09:38:18 PM »

I see a copy has made it onto ebay......

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lancia-in-Britain-NEW-CLUB-BOOK-Aurelia-Appia-Beta-Integrale-Aprilia-Lambda-037-/281287016120?pt=UK_CarParts_Vehicles_Manuals_Litterature_ET&hash=item417e033eb8

P

Frank Gallagher
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd