Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 04:24:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Inition Switch Failure  (Read 8043 times)
Peter W

« on: 05 February, 2014, 10:57:54 PM »

Does anyone have experience of dismantling a Beta ignition switch?  I drove my VX coupe home the other evening, backed it into the garage & switched off.  I then realised that the car was not in the right position so attempted to restart.  The starter motor worked but the engine would not fire up & I realised that none of the other electrics were energised. Have checked the system through & found that the ignition switch is faulty.  Haynes manual says remove bolt that holds the switch to the steering lock but there is no bolt just what appears to be a spring dowel holding the switch cover on to the body.  I cannot extract it and am hesitant to drive it further in to release the cover.

Peter

Kappa Coupe
Beta VX Coupe
S2 Fulvia 1600HF
SanRemo78
Rebel Poster

« Reply #1 on: 05 February, 2014, 11:16:10 PM »

Hi Peter, the Beta, like many Fiats of the era have shear bolts holding the two halves of the lock assembly to the column, it's a design to stop thieves simply using a spanner to unbolt the whole thing effectively removing the steering lock and allowing a simple bypass of the electrics.
To remove the assembly you'll need a centre punch and a drill. Put a plastic sheet over the carpet to stop the swarf getting in, remove the shroud to expose the remains of the shear bolts, punch the centre of both and drill out (I think it's a 10mm drill). Once you've repaired/replaced the lock the assembly can be put back with a couple of normal allen key type bolts. I've always found that drilling the remains of the old bolt heads out leaves enough of a stub that the remainder of the bolt can be removed with a pair of mole grips.
Cheers
Guy
neil-yaj396
Committee
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 06 February, 2014, 05:14:04 PM »

I'm not sure about the VX, but isn't there also a relay downstream from the ignition switch that can fail? If I disconnect my battery for any period I get the same symptoms until the relay 'energises'.

However the ignition switch on my ie (more akin to your VX) failed in exactly the same manner many years ago and did have to be replaced. That was in the days when you could order one from any spares factor!

1979 1300 Beta Coupe, 2014 Ypsilon 1.2 S Series Momo
Peter W

« Reply #3 on: 07 February, 2014, 03:44:30 PM »

The switch is the problem as there is no continuity through it when it is turned on.
When I first looked at it I wondered if I could drill out the shear bolts so am pleased to read that this is possible.  However, closer inspection suggests that the electrical switch must be dismantled from the outer, key, end of the assembly by removing the 'tin' cover.  This cover is held in place by what appears to be a hollow spring dowel.  The only way to release the cover seems to be to drive the dowel further into the casing but I am concerned that I may damage the switch internals in doing so.

* IMGP0691.JPG (1620.96 KB, 3008x2000 - viewed 546 times.)

Kappa Coupe
Beta VX Coupe
S2 Fulvia 1600HF
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 08 February, 2014, 12:37:29 AM »

The switch is the problem as there is no continuity through it when it is turned on.
When I first looked at it I wondered if I could drill out the shear bolts so am pleased to read that this is possible.  However, closer inspection suggests that the electrical switch must be dismantled from the outer, key, end of the assembly by removing the 'tin' cover.  This cover is held in place by what appears to be a hollow spring dowel.  The only way to release the cover seems to be to drive the dowel further into the casing but I am concerned that I may damage the switch internals in doing so.
Peter,
Looks worth trying to drill it out?

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
SanRemo78
Rebel Poster

« Reply #5 on: 08 February, 2014, 10:36:58 AM »

Before attempting to drill it out I'd be tempted to find a replacement lock/key in case you end up ruining it! If the pin is for locating the mechanism within the housing you might find there's a should to the pin and it's held in the locking position with a spring, a bit like the alloy brake callipers in the steel housing…

Have you tried Beta Boyz - the might have more knowledge than the rest of us?

Guy
Peter W

« Reply #6 on: 09 February, 2014, 10:59:13 PM »

I did manage to drill out the hard dowel & extract the switch assembly.  I carried on dismantling as far as I could but the electrical contacts are in a plastic housing which is riveted together so I gave up, got on to Ebay, promptly found a new complete steering lock assembly.  Should be delivered midweek & in the meantime I will drill out the shear bolts & remove the old lock.

Peter

Kappa Coupe
Beta VX Coupe
S2 Fulvia 1600HF
Peter W

« Reply #7 on: 13 February, 2014, 09:05:33 AM »

Sadly the switch that I found fits the Montecarlo only.  It has a 4 pin connector, mine has a 5 pin so I am back to square one.

Peter

Kappa Coupe
Beta VX Coupe
S2 Fulvia 1600HF
m tulloch
Megaposter

« Reply #8 on: 16 February, 2014, 09:32:04 PM »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LANCIA-BETA-IGNITION-LOCK-ASSEMBLY-/231160412124
Peter W

« Reply #9 on: 03 March, 2014, 09:04:07 PM »

Geoff Holmes kindly sent me a Gamma switch cartridge in the hope that it might fit, sadly it didn't.  When I looked at the used one on Ebay I found that a new one had also appeared there.  I bid on the new one, got it, fitted it & the VX is back on the road.

Peter

Kappa Coupe
Beta VX Coupe
S2 Fulvia 1600HF
neil-yaj396
Committee
Permanent resident

« Reply #10 on: 04 March, 2014, 07:16:13 AM »

Glad you got it sorted in the end. Certain Beta parts can be tricky to get. My car was once off the road for 4 weeks waiting for a clutch cable. Then about 5 came up on eBay at once!

1979 1300 Beta Coupe, 2014 Ypsilon 1.2 S Series Momo
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd