Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 08:44:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: B20 Aurelia purchase  (Read 12090 times)
bruciebonuz
Lapsed
Megaposter

« on: 27 January, 2014, 10:43:31 AM »

As some of you may know, I was on the verge of purchasing a 4th series B20 Aurelia from overseas.  Sadly fate intervened to conspire against me and after many months of waiting the car was actually involved in an accident on the morning of it being taken to the inspection.  Not only that, but it happened in its own garage....when a builder reversed back into it causing not major, but not minor damage.   The seller was only selling because of a degenerative eye condition which would result in him being unable to drive the car....but, in what is unquestionably a positive development, the eye condition is not as bad as first thought so he wont be selling after all and will have the car restored instead....I am genuinely pleased by this and do believe fate had a hand in it to ensure he kept his pride and joy.

So that leaves me having sold the Fanalone, cash in the bank and a car sized space in the garage.  I would still love an Aurelia but fear what with prices the way they are and my relatively modest budget, that that boat may have sailed......and so I have been looking at Porsche 356s (proof positive that Porsches rust just as bad as any one claims Italian cars do...)

Anyway, before I do leave the world of Lancias (at least for a few years) I have been looking at whats out there that may be in my price range and which could be something I could improve.  There isnt much, if anything.

There is this one:  http://www.stolzeclassiccars.nl/aanbod/376/lancia-aurelia-b20/

Its gold.  I am sure there is a good reason why it hasnt sold (may be something to do with the fact that Mr Stolze rarely answers his phone) aside from the colour but appreciate any thoughts.  

Thanks

Jonathan
« Last Edit: 27 January, 2014, 11:04:17 AM by bruciebonuz » Logged

1969 RHD Fanalone Lusso
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 27 January, 2014, 11:29:13 AM »

I am sure there are still a number of B20s requiring restoration in the UK, some have sat for 10/20/30 years awaiting their turn, perhaps making discrete inquiries would allow one or two to surface, the forum has only a small percentage of owners of same on it on a regular basis, so using the required section of VL and asking the right people by word of mouth will produce a result.

Hoping you can realise the dream and bring yet another B20 back to life

P

Frank Gallagher
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 27 January, 2014, 11:40:58 AM »

If it was me I'd start with Ade Rudler, Ron Francis, Elizabeth Cliffe, Peter Harding.  I am, however, some 20 years out of date...

Who else?

Thornley Kelham seem to be hovering up parts and projects for stock.

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 27 January, 2014, 11:44:37 AM »

Yes, a good list and one or two others who are less public, but others might put a word in for you, ie a few might not want what they own publicised!

I suspect the difficulty is that if the guys above are selling them at a commercial price it makes buying from them much less attractive, if budgetary restrains are in place

P
« Last Edit: 27 January, 2014, 12:02:11 PM by Parisien » Logged

Frank Gallagher
duelitriemezzo
Lapsed

« Reply #4 on: 27 January, 2014, 01:35:06 PM »

hello,
i saw the car when it was shown at OLDTIMERGALERIE.CH in 2006 or 2007.
It seemed to me in very good shape. No rust, nothing important to do.
And complete.
I have a lot of photo. I can send them to you.

* motor.JPG (62.54 KB, 482x333 - viewed 422 times.)
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 27 January, 2014, 01:47:55 PM »

Many in that list - if not all - have been known to act as match maker with no commercial gain to themselves.

Its "putting the word out"...  Its a small world and it will soon go round that "someone is looking".

David.

David Laver, Lewisham.
bruciebonuz
Lapsed
Megaposter

« Reply #6 on: 27 January, 2014, 01:50:05 PM »

Thanks - I have previously spoken to Omicron and Peter Harding, nothing at the moment.  Will put a few more calls out. 

I should also thank those on this forum that offered their help and advice when I was looking at the overseas B20 which fell through - very much appreciated.

1969 RHD Fanalone Lusso
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 27 January, 2014, 01:51:57 PM »

I had used the word if.......and of course some may have paid for said B 20s and don't want to loose on them if deciding to sell on, but yes, I suspect an agreement could be arrived at, plus in everyones interest

P

Frank Gallagher
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #8 on: 27 January, 2014, 02:14:40 PM »

Jonathan, every cloud has a silver lining and the present owner of that B20 is definitely a lucky man. However, fate has not smiled kindly on you on this particular occasion. I would suggest that you do nothing in a hurry and exhaust all avenues suggested in this thread before you jump ship.

Good luck, there must be a B20 out there for you somewhere.

Andy
bruciebonuz
Lapsed
Megaposter

« Reply #9 on: 27 January, 2014, 02:42:56 PM »

I am trying...but every month goes by and they just keep driving that bit faster up the appreciation curve leaving me in their dust  Smiley 

Lord March didnt help either - if only he had bought a Morris Marina.

1969 RHD Fanalone Lusso
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #10 on: 27 January, 2014, 03:41:50 PM »

Perhaps an Aurelia saloon plus an Integrale?

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
bruciebonuz
Lapsed
Megaposter

« Reply #11 on: 27 January, 2014, 03:45:47 PM »

Only one garage and the B20 is where the heart lies.  I really question how many of these very expensive £100k plus cars sell? - they all seem to have been on the market forever.  The only ones that seem to sell are the ones priced below £80k and they sell before the ads go live.

1969 RHD Fanalone Lusso
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #12 on: 27 January, 2014, 04:35:40 PM »

I'm still going to play the "two for one" game:

http://www.rtcc.co.uk/used-morgan-proteus-carver/lancia-aprilia-1500

Some of the detail on that I'd change, but I bet that would be a lot of fun.  Same tyres but less weight than an Aurelia.  The rear suspension every bit as good and the front just the same.  You'd not have the lovely V6 and motorway legs...so add to that "garage":

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C440860

The Lancia engineers worked very hard to improve on the Aurelia, and the Flaminia is the result of that labour.  More refined, comfortable, capacious, more robust and easier to maintain.

An argument for the "two for one" is that running the Aurelia every day eventually I'd start to resent its limits. Then I'd switch to the MG Midget and appreciate all that's brilliant about that until I'd start to resent its limits.  Then I'd switch to the Aurelia and so on.  Between the two I never wanted for anything more modern be that for performance or refinement or ease of use. Having two on the go the maintenance was less an issue as I "had a spare one".  Even if you run something sensible (or not!!) day to day having two doubles your chances of one being available for any given event.

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
bruciebonuz
Lapsed
Megaposter

« Reply #13 on: 27 January, 2014, 04:51:23 PM »

Alas I only have the one small garage.  And a wife who likes the B20 (albeit not as much as the Porsche 356).  As the married men on here will know, having a supportive wife is a definite benefit when splashing the cash on any car.

1969 RHD Fanalone Lusso
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #14 on: 27 January, 2014, 04:54:53 PM »

Jonathan

I jumped back from Porsche (993 Targa to be precise) and would not go back. You have been warned!! Seriously though I though 4 reasonable seats was the key issue and a 356 does not really address this......

Tim

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator