Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
29 March, 2024, 08:25:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fulvia Alternator replacement  (Read 22264 times)
peterbaker
Permanent resident

www.retro-speed.co.uk

« Reply #30 on: 15 March, 2010, 10:27:18 PM »

Colin. I would be interested to know how much modification was required to change from the original dynamo

1961 Lancia Flavia 1.5 Berlina. FIAT Abarth. 1954 Daimler Conquest. 2003 MG ZT-T 135. 1998 SAAB 9-5 3 litre turbo.
ColinMarr
Permanent resident

« Reply #31 on: 16 March, 2010, 06:30:39 PM »

Peter,

Sorry, but I can’t really answer your question. Although my car is basically early S1, it has all S2 mechanical bits and running gear – all done long before my ownership. So, I have only known my car with S2 alternator and electric fan etc. Whenever I have looked at S1 cars with dynamo and belt driven fan they seem quite different to mine and maybe the blocks are different too. Somebody else might know!

Colin
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #32 on: 16 March, 2010, 07:01:27 PM »

cant help with the wiring but have previously fitted a dynamo to an s2 block with spacers + home fabricated bracket so perhaps the reverse can be achieved.by the way what is a rebel poster?richard

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
ncundy
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #33 on: 16 March, 2010, 07:31:57 PM »

Physically fitting an alternator to an S1 shouldn't be too much of an issue. The Fanalone has an alternator fitted on an S1 block and driven via the same belt arrangement (although you may have to make up a new pulley for the alternator).

1969 Fanalone, Mazda RX-8, Fiat Multipla
peterbaker
Permanent resident

www.retro-speed.co.uk

« Reply #34 on: 16 March, 2010, 07:49:43 PM »

And maybe someone now sells an alternator that has the outer appearance of a dynamo. Like Lucas.

1961 Lancia Flavia 1.5 Berlina. FIAT Abarth. 1954 Daimler Conquest. 2003 MG ZT-T 135. 1998 SAAB 9-5 3 litre turbo.
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #35 on: 16 March, 2010, 09:34:17 PM »

Interesting posts on Viva lancia on this subject with a Fanalone owner in the uS modifying a bosch alternator to give 100A output (yes I dont really believe it) not to be done unless all wiring is improved to the battery!!

Tim

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #36 on: 17 March, 2010, 12:39:56 AM »

And maybe someone now sells an alternator that has the outer appearance of a dynamo. Like Lucas.

Yes they do but it costs about £400.
why all the concern about fitting an alternator in place of the dynamo?
It's true that if you try to run with everything on, then you might have a problem, but those of us who grew up with cars with dynamos ,and never knew the luxury of having ample power all the time, until later in our motoring life, very soon got in the habit when wanting to turn something else on, checking to see what wasn't really essential, and could be turned off, even to the point of turning off the heater fan, (Heaters B useless anyway so I always wear gloves etc) or running on sidelights, and using a arm (cold) to give hand signals, so most of the time we never got to the point of running the battery flat.

I ran my 1.3 Rallye Coupe for a couple of years with a dynamo, and "Fay" has run for over 10 years with no problems with a dynamo?, admitted I don't have any extra electrical equipment other than fog lights, but I've never had a problem, even after standing for up to a month in the artic conditions this winter,   She lives inside an airchamber,  in a unheated concrete lock up garage, so it's still gets very cold in there.

Granted, once or twice she has been a bit difficult to start, but with the electric pump to prime the carbs, there's none of the old churning over to pump the fuel up.
A run of about 30 miles then usually follows, to warm everything up, and get it all working as it should, which also tops up the battery very nicely.
Just hope I haven't blown it by mentioning how good it is Roll Eyes

Brian
8227 Cool
« Last Edit: 17 March, 2010, 12:50:25 AM by fay66 » Logged

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
peterbaker
Permanent resident

www.retro-speed.co.uk

« Reply #37 on: 17 March, 2010, 08:55:35 AM »

I agree except there are times during a rally when using main beam plus spotlights, wipers and heater plus map light is just too much. The Appia died on me in mid Wales and I was forced to drive some fifty miles in atrocious conditions using dip beam only. Now with an alternator the world is a better place.

fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #38 on: 17 March, 2010, 06:06:39 PM »

I agree except there are times during a rally when using main beam plus spotlights, wipers and heater plus map light is just too much. The Appia died on me in mid Wales and I was forced to drive some fifty miles in atrocious conditions using dip beam only. Now with an alternator the world is a better place.

Not exactly a normal situation and a good reason to fit an alternator Grin

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
Neil Lewis
« Reply #39 on: 21 March, 2010, 05:49:41 PM »

If you've already "upgraded" froma dynamo to an alternator, why not just go the whole hog and fit a modern all-in-one alternator and ditch the control box too.  It's a while back so I can't remember exactly which alternator I used (it was second hand too) but I did just that and fitted a modern 55A alternator to my Series 3. I then had no trouble running the 100W headlights and spot-lamps on my rally car.  And the wiring was so much neater afterwards.

It did cook the wires under the fuse box and that entailed replacing the complicated original relay with a pair of modern 30A ones but that made the wiring simpler still.

Please don't ask me to remember how I wired it; those hand-drawn diagrams went with the car about 15 years ago.

Neil

PS
Now I've thought about it more, I had to shortne the tensioner bar so that the alternator didn't press against the base of the carbs and that meant using a shorter drive belt.
« Last Edit: 23 March, 2010, 11:12:12 PM by Neil Lewis » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd