Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 08:55:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: S2 coupe speedo  (Read 4453 times)
blueboxer

« on: 11 January, 2014, 02:52:32 PM »

I've got a lhd UK reg Fulvia montecarlo coupe with the speedo in kmh. I need it in mph for registration on Jersey. The UK mot testers appeared to let it go as kmh but I don't think Jersey DVS will let it . I either need a replacement mph speedo or a method of converting the existing speedo to mph. I don't think they will let me get away with just sticking mph numbers on the glass face. Maybe if I could take the speedo apart and use some kind of stick on numerals they'd maybe not notice. Alternatively a new speedo face. The glass/plastic on the instruments is a little discoloured so I'm thinking maybe replace those as well?

Also, is it straightforward to remove the speedo from the dash? Can it be done from behind or does any of the dash need removing?

I also need the rubber window seal on the offside front quarter light that provides the seal between the glass and the door. The existing one is perished.
thanks

Feb 1965 RHD Fulvia 2C (still running it's original engine and gearbox) and quite a few others of various marques
richardgcs
Lapsed

« Reply #1 on: 11 January, 2014, 04:35:59 PM »

Coincidence or not , there is one that has just gone on sale on ebay, a better bet than altering your kph one.
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 11 January, 2014, 04:52:17 PM »

pm sent !

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
roddy

« Reply #3 on: 13 January, 2014, 11:24:08 PM »

It all depends on the make of instrument cluster fitted to your car.  If the gauges are Veglia, then the speedo is a self contained unit (as is the rev counter, and the three small gauges), and can be removed from the dash housing after removal of the crash padding and wood dash facing.  If the instruments are Jaeger, then the complete cluster is a one-piece unit (the plastic face is flat).  Changing from one type to the other requires the oil pressure and water temperature senders to be changed to the matching type.

Regards - Roddy

Roddy Young
Dunfermline, Fife

1970 Fulvia Sport S1 1.3S
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 14 January, 2014, 08:55:41 AM »

It all depends on the make of instrument cluster fitted to your car.  If the gauges are Veglia, then the speedo is a self contained unit (as is the rev counter, and the three small gauges), and can be removed from the dash housing after removal of the crash padding and wood dash facing.  If the instruments are Jaeger, then the complete cluster is a one-piece unit (the plastic face is flat).  Changing from one type to the other requires the oil pressure and water temperature senders to be changed to the matching type.

Regards - Roddy
Roddy what is the oil pressure sender for Veglia. Is it 0-8bar?

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
roddy

« Reply #5 on: 14 January, 2014, 11:41:40 PM »

Hello Tim.  I'm sorry, but I don't know!  I have never had occasion to study one closely other than I recall it has Veglia on its body.  You have prompted me to have a closer look though as I have a spare one that reads very 'low' and another than causes the needle to flicker badly or zero, below a certain pressure.  I know it is not very scientific, but I have always been content to use a unit that gives me a reading on the gauge that I like and hope is being repeated in the engine.....!   I will let you know if I discover anything.

Regards - Roddy

Roddy Young
Dunfermline, Fife

lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 15 January, 2014, 09:21:38 AM »

Hi Roddy

On the underside there will be 0-6 or 0-8 or 0-10 stamped. I think Veglia is 0-8 and Jaeger 0-10. You get a good oil pressure with a 0-6!!!

Tim

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
roddy

« Reply #7 on: 15 January, 2014, 05:57:04 PM »

Hello Tim

I have now had a look at some units (loose ones, not ones on the cars).  Both types have their brands stamped on the bodies.  The answer to your question seems to be 6 Bar.

I have a Veglia unit with the part number 64.5001 stamped on it, which accords with the information in the Part Manual.  Also stamped on it is :-  " 0 ÷ 6 ".   

I can confirm that the Veglia unit that was formerly in a car and which gave very false readings has a number on it that bears no resemblance to the Parts Manual, but it is stamped "8 Bar".  A Jaeger unit which I've never used also has 6 Bar on it, although the numbers are not the same as the manual.

Hope of some help?

Regards - Roddy 

Roddy Young
Dunfermline, Fife

nistri
Megaposter

« Reply #8 on: 16 January, 2014, 07:51:23 AM »

I can confirm that all the original oil pressure sensors have the 0-6 bar scale. The 0-8 units were fitted to other car models and are more generally available, Andrea

Andrea Nistri

Ardea S2
Appia S2
Fulvia GTE
Fulvia Sport 1.3 S
Fulvia Montecarlo
Fulvia Coupe 1.3 S
blueboxer

« Reply #9 on: 24 January, 2014, 12:49:00 PM »

All sorted now with regard to the mph speedo and lighting rheostat , so big thanks to Simon.

Feb 1965 RHD Fulvia 2C (still running it's original engine and gearbox) and quite a few others of various marques
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd