Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 06:36:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ex-Juan Manuel Fangio 1952 Lancia Aurelia B20GT  (Read 5389 times)
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« on: 12 September, 2013, 02:52:58 PM »

http://www.classicandsportscar.com/news/classic-car-events/lancias-add-glamour-in-antwerp

What is going on with that rad shell?   Those letter box trims?   It looks like a 3rd series but were they built in 1952?

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
williamcorke
Rebel Poster

B10

« Reply #1 on: 12 September, 2013, 05:02:23 PM »

Not the best repair to a damaged front-end ever seen, that's for sure.

Here's one of the famous photo's of Fangio with his new B20 (did he own more than one) in front of the Lancia tower block.

And here is Fangio after crashing a B20

From the wheels on this crashed car, it seems he must have had (or had use of) more than one B20 - based on the colours alone. The wheels of the dark car are S5 or 6.  The pale car is lhd, so S4 at the earliest.

Perhaps someone can tell us more about 'the Fangio cars'.

'37 Aprilia
'50 B10
'53 B20
'68 Flavia Vignale
'55 Giulietta Sprint
S1 Land Rover
GG
Megaposter

« Reply #2 on: 12 September, 2013, 08:26:56 PM »

In his own words, quoted in Style Auto:

"Mate is an exciting and strengthening drink. All men who have worked hard for the greatness of my far-away country have drawn energy from its stinging and warm lash. The souvenir of mate, rich of beloved familiar traditions suggests to my mind a comparison I consider very apt for the car I'm going to speak of.

What I mean is that the Lancia Aurelia G.T. is exactly like a cup of mate: it inspires confidence, a sense of security and elation, that subtle undefinable elation which springs from a perfect being. It actually is a car in which impetuosity, common sense, imagination and daring are beautifully blended. The Lancia 2500 B 20 is the car we dream of having built if we had been engineers, if we were able to give shape to the wishes which cross our minds, maybe during a long journey.

All the most admirable virtues are grouped in the Lancia Aurelia G.T., mild as a lamb, if necessary as lithe as a panther, as tough as the camels who manage to cross the desert chewing a small morsel of food, it's a smart, fast, impressive car. You can use it to dawdle up and down the streets of Rome of the french Riviera, you can comfortably go from one town to another on business, but the moment you wish it to do so it becomes a sports car, marvelous on turnpikes and capable of amazing performances if one feels like racing fast. And what couldn't I say about its lightness, the perfectly astounding roadholding and the beautifully efficient brake system.

As I have said, the Lancia B 20 is like a cup of mate, or, if you should prefer a more mediterranean comparison, like one of those classical wines which Italy's sun renders so mellow. Personally I love those wines, which enhance the heartiness of the land so similar to the one where I was born."

From  <<The Aurelia G.T. is like a cup of mate>> by Juan Manuel Fangio (VELOCITA)
« Last Edit: 12 September, 2013, 08:31:36 PM by GG » Logged

B20 s.2, Appia C10, Flavia 2000
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 12 September, 2013, 09:10:40 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mate_(beverage)

David Laver, Lewisham.
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 13 September, 2013, 07:02:33 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mate_(beverage)

I could get anything from your link David, I hope this works, if not we must assume a Wikipedia fault!!!

Andy
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 13 September, 2013, 07:16:15 AM »

Wikipedia has gone into denial !!!!

If you really want to know what mate is then google 'mate Argentinian drink'. That is what I did, found a lot of information, but copying and pasting the link has not worked.

By the way, it seems to be simply 'a nice cup of tea'!!!

Andy
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 13 September, 2013, 11:13:27 AM »

I don't know what tea you're drinking - but it leaves me wanting to try mate:

"exactly like a cup of mate: it inspires confidence, a sense of security and elation, that subtle undefinable elation which springs from a perfect being. It actually is a car in which impetuosity, common sense, imagination and daring are beautifully blended."

David Laver, Lewisham.
GG
Megaposter

« Reply #7 on: 14 September, 2013, 09:14:52 AM »

mate is a deep rich coffee, similar to a B20.

B20 s.2, Appia C10, Flavia 2000
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd