Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 10:52:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fulvia water pump  (Read 2542 times)
ben
Lapsed
Megaposter

« on: 26 August, 2013, 04:50:23 PM »

As part of the ongoing reassembly of my 1600 Sport I decided to overhaul the water pump and quickly ran into a problem that I now know has been discussed before on this forum---namely non-availability of replacement seals.
  The simple way out is to fit a new pump and they are available from Omicron or direct from Italy for around 130 euros which seems very reasonable when one studies the relatively complex nature of the beast.
  However it makes no sense that the seals are not available as the suppliers making these replacement pumps must get the seals from somewhere (assuming these new pumps still use the same type of seal---? I have read that the current new pumps are not as good as the originals--they don't look as good in the ebay.it pictures and I cannot believe the quality of the originals could be matched at that price!)).
  The seals in both pumps that I have stripped are carbon face seals. Both pumps had both been lying around unused for some years. On one the spring loading was seized up and my attempts to free it resulted in cracking the carbon. On the other the carbon was already broken. Also both had fairly severe circumferential grooves worn into the mating face on the impeller rotor.
  So:
        Has anybody discovered a source for these seals since the discussion about the pumps in Neils ongoing Fanalone thread back in 2010?
        And if not can Neil provide more info on where to source the "GSD 170" seal that he used in his modification.(Which is presumably still unproven?)

Or alternatively has anyone tried simply replacing the carbon face seal with a lip seal eg Gaco,etc.  It would seem to be a simpler option as they are available to fit directly into the 25mm housing bore and a short collar of say stainless steel could be fitted over a suitably machined location on the mushroom shaped spacer that buts up to the rotor for the lip seal to run against.
        My worry with this option is that these lip seals are primarily sold as oil seals so will they work as well with water/antifreeze? Are they to be found in other automotive water pumps?

I look forward to your thoughts (if you are not on your way to Turin yet!).

Ben Courage
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 26 August, 2013, 07:21:07 PM »

I have fitted lip seals (two as there is plenty of room)

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 26 August, 2013, 07:23:00 PM »

...to my Aprilia pump a couple of years ago and so far they are doing fine so I guess yes, they will work.

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd