Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 12:06:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Changing Fulvia oil  (Read 4101 times)
stanley sweet
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« on: 30 May, 2007, 02:06:31 PM »

Hi everyone, I've owned a 1.3 Fulvia for 14 years now and have never bothered to find out if anyone has a clean way of changing the oil filter during an oil change? My method is to puncture the old filter in situ with a hole in the top and another close to the base and let the oil in the filter drain into a aluminium take-away container. But even doing this, I end up with the remains pouring over the engine and gearbox. How did Lancia garages do it? Just let it pour everywhere then steam clean it? All suggestions welcome.

1971 Fulvia 1.3S 'Leggera'  1999 Lancia Lybra 1.9JTD LX SW
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 30 May, 2007, 03:52:17 PM »

Hi Stanley,
 I usually just let the oil drain for a while then stuff a load of kitchen roll around underneath the filter housing, unscrew the filter as quickly as possible, then immediately turn it right way up ,at least that way you retain a decent % of the oil in the filter; must admit though, it wouldn't be the first time I've managed to tip most of it over the bell housing anyway. Roll Eyes

Brian Hilton
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
Scarpia
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #2 on: 30 May, 2007, 09:26:49 PM »

I did it just last week (oily rag instead of kitchen paper)and didn't spill a single drop.With a bit of care you can wrap a decently thick rag or paper around the under side of the base of the filter housing and spin it loose and as Brian says tip it upright very quickly. At worst you spill a few drops if your not quick enough. Preparation is the answer so make sure you also place a rag in the near vicinity  on the inner wing for example so that you have somewhere to go to with the filter if it is leaking. All the oily rags/paper just gets placed in a plastic bag and job done. Don't forget to replace the oil of course!.
stanley sweet
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 31 May, 2007, 09:58:26 AM »

Thanks for that, you both use the same technique. I think I'll give that a try. Didn't realise that if you spin it off quickly it's better. Even with my container wedged underneath it used to dribble and find its way along the sump fins to the front of the engine. There isn't a Chinese take away here either so I would have run out of containers anyway.   Smiley

1971 Fulvia 1.3S 'Leggera'  1999 Lancia Lybra 1.9JTD LX SW
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd