Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
29 March, 2024, 01:38:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aprilia "big Zenith" carburettor  (Read 4863 times)
Tony Stephens

« on: 03 July, 2013, 07:37:59 PM »

I have unearthed what I expect will turn out to be a "big Zenith" conversion, as we used to call them in the 1970's when my Aprilia ARX 560 had one. Unable to get it to run properly on the carburettor, I dropped it in at Zenith in Honeypot Lane London NW, and they rebuilt it completely, jetted it appropriately for the Aprilia from their records,  and gave me a bill for just over £3, after which the car functioned perfectly. From my researches/recollection, the model no is 36 VI9, a downdraught version of the sidedraught 36 VI2 which was fitted as standard to prewar Riley 1 1/2 litre cars if you didn't have SU's.

Firstly:are my part numbers correct - can anyone provide a web link to information?

Secondly, what should I pay for such a carburettor if in good condition?

Thanks for the help

Tony Stephens
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 03 July, 2013, 09:19:06 PM »

What to pay?   A problem that is often resolved with a swap...

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
BlueSky
Lapsed

« Reply #2 on: 03 July, 2013, 10:20:30 PM »

Tony,
36-VI2 (that's vee eye two) is the downdraught version, I have a copy of a manual that covers it on my web site http://www.narrywoolan.com.au/home/Aprilia_Publications.html
My Aprilia had one fitted when I bought it so don't know what you should pay for one. You'll also need an adaptor for it to fit the inlet manifold.
Noel

1937 1st series Aprilia Berlina
Nissan X-Trail T31 TS
1920 P & M 3 1/2hp {FOR SALE}
John Deere LX188
www.narrywoolan.com.au/home
Tony Stephens

« Reply #3 on: 04 July, 2013, 07:33:38 PM »

This is really helpful (and the website added to my collection of Aprilia literature - websites didn't exist when I was last around Aprilias).

Keep coming with the information!

Thanks

Tony
welleyes

« Reply #4 on: 10 July, 2013, 07:54:12 AM »

VI2..... and we are still having trouble getting ours to idle consistently. Tried everything we can think of but it is still inclined to stall. It is 'correctly' jetted. It hunts as though too rich but seems correct above idling revs. It is especially prone to cutting out when making a stop in traffic; at a roundabout , for example. Frustrating!

Andy and Stuart Tallack
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 10 July, 2013, 09:35:42 AM »

VI2..... and we are still having trouble getting ours to idle consistently. Tried everything we can think of but it is still inclined to stall. It is 'correctly' jetted. It hunts as though too rich but seems correct above idling revs. It is especially prone to cutting out when making a stop in traffic; at a roundabout , for example. Frustrating!

Andy and Stuart Tallack

Just a thought but check ignition timing as if too advanced it will have tendancy to stall.

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
BlueSky
Lapsed

« Reply #6 on: 10 July, 2013, 11:09:59 PM »

Andy & Stuart
A few things to check if you haven’t already. Make sure there aren’t any leaks in the float, a recent problem I discovered that was causing the carby to flood. Take it off any see if it has any fuel in it and put it hot water to see if any air escapes. Along with that the needle & seat could be sticking or worn. Make sure there are no air leaks in the manifold connections and double check the float bowl gasket isn’t blocking anything.
The jets fitted to my VI2 are:
Main 115
Compensating 85
Starting 120
Economy 150
Slow running 65

Noel

1937 1st series Aprilia Berlina
Nissan X-Trail T31 TS
1920 P & M 3 1/2hp {FOR SALE}
John Deere LX188
www.narrywoolan.com.au/home
welleyes

« Reply #7 on: 12 July, 2013, 02:40:00 PM »

Thank you, chaps!
Jetting is the same as you gave us, Noel; except that main jet on ours is 110.
We have just re-checked ignition timeing and it probably was a bit advanced. It now needs a road test but we are ony a few miles from Goodwood and the FoS is on. I gather there are holdup on all the roads heading in the Goodwood direction and it is difficult for us to find a road that isn't being used as a cunning (but ineffectual) short cut. It will have to wait till Monday.

Andy and Stuart Tallack
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd