Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
19 March, 2024, 02:35:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Importing from S Africa...?  (Read 2481 times)
coltom

« on: 12 June, 2013, 07:48:41 PM »

Anyone have any experience of this? I guess one would need to pay duty (10%) on the cost price plus shipping, etc and then VAT on top of all of that which probably wouldn't make it financially sensible for most cars. Some nice Lancias pop up for sale over there occasionally.
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 12 June, 2013, 09:08:04 PM »

Good info on this thread -

http://www.lancia.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2935.0

P

Frank Gallagher
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 12 June, 2013, 10:18:09 PM »

Anyone have any experience of this? I guess one would need to pay duty (10%) on the cost price plus shipping, etc and then VAT on top of all of that which probably wouldn't make it financially sensible for most cars. Some nice Lancias pop up for sale over there occasionally.

Be very wary especially if buying from one of the companies who are bringing cars to the UK and selling on, a friend bought what appeared to be a Fulvia in first class condition, however it turned out that all was not what it seemed, and it cost him several £1000's to get it up to scratch, even after paying top money for it.

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 13 June, 2013, 07:56:43 AM »

Whenever I have bought abroad and imported I have always ensured that I inspect the vehicle myself properly before committing to buy. My first import was a 2CV in 1970 from France as a student and I even inspected that myself properly.  Sounds obvious doesnt it but it is remarkable how many people dont do this. With low cost flights etc just factor the travel cost into the cost of purchase then at least you know what you are getting for your money when it arrives in the UK.
Chris.

Chris Gawne
Mobile: 07778 216552
St Volumex
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

Owner of RetroPart

« Reply #4 on: 13 June, 2013, 11:29:58 AM »

Feel free to drop me a PM, as I have recently imported 3 of my Lancias from South Africa. 

Much of the advice I was given initially was incorrect, and provided the paperwork is well prepared in advance, it was quite easy.  Because I could prove that I owned the cars for a number of years before importing them, there was no duty or VAT payable as I was moving to the UK from outside the EU. Smiley

Guy McDougall
www.facebook.com/RetroPart
Rare Parts for Rare Machines
Appia Coupé S3 (Rosina), Appia Berlina S3 (La Giaconda), Fulvia 1.3S 5 spd coupé (Tigger, belongs to Carol), Beta Spyder S2 (Vivaldi), Montecarlo Spyder S2, HPE VX (Pugsly) etc
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd