Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 11:11:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: South London Sport  (Read 103505 times)
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #195 on: 29 July, 2017, 11:44:02 PM »

Not quite as clear in this one of a Flavia.

* Lancia 1960 Flavia1960.jpg (33.21 KB, 500x271 - viewed 912 times.)

David Laver, Lewisham.
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #196 on: 29 July, 2017, 11:49:48 PM »

Again Fulvia - but a nice view of "structure" vs "skin"

* telaio.jpg (86.4 KB, 600x333 - viewed 972 times.)

David Laver, Lewisham.
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #197 on: 29 July, 2017, 11:52:28 PM »

* lancia-engine-and-transmission.jpg (97.74 KB, 604x453 - viewed 767 times.)

David Laver, Lewisham.
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #198 on: 30 July, 2017, 09:56:28 AM »

Is the subframe good?

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #199 on: 30 July, 2017, 10:21:14 AM »

That's not my subframe just the best photo I could find.

I haven't given mine a proper poke and I won't REALLY know until its all apart. Perhaps another way to look at it is that relative to the rest of the car the subframe is brilliant, perhaps the best feature.

David Laver, Lewisham.
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #200 on: 30 July, 2017, 01:46:53 PM »

I would expect yours to have twin carbs?Huh?

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #201 on: 30 July, 2017, 08:49:18 PM »

Twin carbs and a long (grandfather clock pendulum) gear lever into a four speed box.

David Laver, Lewisham.
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #202 on: 30 July, 2017, 08:50:05 PM »

Longaleva?

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #203 on: 15 January, 2020, 10:29:36 PM »

Rather alarming that even this thread has been untouched since 2017. 

Colin turned up an advert for a similar colour car in Germany.  I had thought my "car" (ahem...almost a car...) had a non standard respray in the '70s but it looks like it might have been a Lancia colour, and a colour correct for the model and year.

https://www.lancia.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=11458.msg81246#msg81246

In 2014 I started a thread trying to identify the colour:

https://www.lancia.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=7021.0

As well as the usual issue with colours changing with the light and angle, and reproductions unreliable with cameras and post processing, I'm also up against "colour as found", "as washed", and "as cut back".  Just for the fun of it am hoping to get a can of something to spray a sample to see if anything on the car matches, and something large enough to work out if its a colour I like.

David Laver, Lewisham.
Kevinlincs
Permanent resident

« Reply #204 on: 18 January, 2020, 08:29:29 PM »

First time I've seen this thread David so started reading from the beginning...that still looks like a task!
I was looking forward to seeing how you'd got on..any plans for the car?

Flavia 815 coupe
Dedra turbo
Delta integrale
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #205 on: 19 January, 2020, 08:16:34 PM »

There was another thread, sadly lost, covering how it came to light just down the road from here, and how I went to look at it convinced it would be much worse than others thought, found it to be much worse than I thought, and brought it home anyway...

What was I thinking?  They're so much nicer in the metal than pictures!!!  It was also a "rescue puppy" thing.  It answers the "what will I do when the others are done?" question definitively as it will clearly take a very long time to get anywhere with. 

When (if...) its done its a car I can imagine using: they're geared for motorways and have power in reserve for hills, lots of luggage space, the back is ok for adults as long as those in front and the back aren't too tall (I'm not). Lots of headroom and of course those rear windows, and rearvsunvisors. Its a car where sitting in the BACK has a sense of occasion.  Nicely shaped seats in the back as well.  I like sitting in the back.  Low wind noise, refined mechanically.

Of course they raced and rallied in period, for all I can't imagine ever having the money to do much more than local 12 car rallies or "demo runs" at Brands Italia or up Prescot, but never say never.  Its more likely to be de-tuned than tuned.  An attraction of Flavias in general is that mechanical "big lump" spares are still about.  This car came with another engine Practical Classics stripped for a feature.  I had an Aurelia (in a previous life) and just the wheels were becoming problematic, let alone pot joints in the rear drive shafts, cylinder heads with meat on them etc etc etc, and prices of the spares might even have gone up more than the cars.  If the engine needs a lot of expensive work I'll source another...

Flavias and the early Fulvias combine an almost vintage build and feel with modern sure footedness and brakes.  Belts fitted from new.  Good ventilation.

This one rolls and steers sweetly, gears snick in, someone had changed the oil recently for all the engine doesn't turn.  It hasn't fought me from the start: everything had undone nicely, the bonnet dent popped back out, I was able to get the dash back to shape by hand etc.  Others with Flavia Sports have been a pleasure to meet.  Its a treat every time the cover comes off for a "show and tell".  Its an intriguing thing working out where "Lancia" meets "Zagato" and what's going to have to be done differently if its going to last.  They have a reputation for the front end pulling off and sagging to the extent screens crack.  Ali over a steel frame doesn't last.  Pillars not really up to the task.  I'm not a purist so am willing to beef stuff up and where panel return edges have rotted off I'll be content to remove them and use adhesive, at least to use modern sealants.  I like gas welding but haven't yet mastered aluminium let alone whatever particular grade they're made of so I'm not expecting to be welding new edges on, but by the time I come to it I might have picked that skill up.  I'd like to be able to gas weld aluminium in the same way others want to climb Mount McKinley or get under 3 hours for a marathon.

The reason for the lack of progress is that "life got in the way": I've had zero time for any car stuff for a couple of years now.  However I've still the desire should the "window of opportunity reopen" to spend any and every spare moment in the garage on such projects.

Plans?  For all each time I look its better than I remembered I expect building a chassis from scratch will probably be quicker and easier than trying to repair what's there.  The back is terrible so that's the end to start.  I've yet to poke about at the front all that much so maybe the dash forwards will be repaired rather than replaced.  Sills are not just bad but missing.  The floor is either very thin or missing.  I'd not trust the rear cross member.  Rear rails over the springs to be replaced.  Rear cross member/valance has enough to see what it should be but not really repairable.  The other "sensible way forwards" would be to source a Berlina with "beyond economic repair" interior and cosmetics and use bits of its structure wholesale.  The third option that gets discussed is to build a rollcage that links the front subframe to the rear spring mounts and work from there.  Richard Fridd suggested an Alfa TZ type structure and play the "how light can you get it" game.

For the pressed sections I can make wooden hammer forms in my sleep so the ambition is to get it looking "factory" rather than flat sheets, but I might get impatient.  I've a bead roller and my brother inlaw is keen to have a chance to use his fly press, he's a machine tool collector and restorer having given up the pretence he was ever going to make something with them.

Anyway - what a ramble - in brief if "its the doing not the done" then there's plenty to keep me busy, and if by some fluke of nature it ever is "done" then its a car I'd love to have and use.

David Laver, Lewisham.
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #206 on: 19 January, 2020, 08:25:57 PM »

Just tried the wayback archive, I can see the thread but not get in...grrrrr....

http://web.archive.org/web/20130606010609/http://www.lancia.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=4.0

David Laver, Lewisham.
Kevinlincs
Permanent resident

« Reply #207 on: 19 January, 2020, 10:27:56 PM »

A fascinating car and story.

loved the big timbers substituting for sills!

hope that one day it'll be saved.

Flavia 815 coupe
Dedra turbo
Delta integrale
lancianut666
Permanent resident

Slow but rough

« Reply #208 on: 20 January, 2020, 07:03:48 PM »

Ahh...The legendary South London Sport! Hats off to David for taking it on. I seem to remember Omicron having one for restoration but chickened out...any sitings of it recently?
Clarkey

Fulvia Coupe S2 Flavia Coupe 1967 1.8 Kugelfischer Prisma 1.6 carb Y10 Fila Y10 Touring Dedra 1.8 Dedra 2.0 Turbo Appia S1
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #209 on: 20 January, 2020, 11:38:10 PM »

Timbers in the sills - of course it doesn't have to face an MOT so if I tip it to one side, wd40 down the bores, tip it the other way for the other side, I'm sure I'll have it running for the Goodwood track day Smiley

I'm TRYING not to fill the house with "just in case" spares, but I made the decision to get the modern brake booster when it came back into stock and a few odds and ends have come this way.  Its a rare car, but based on something they made a large number of with most of the rest hand made so I travel in hope.

David Laver, Lewisham.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd