Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
25 April, 2024, 09:20:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A year into Fulvia ownership  (Read 407 times)
HBG
Megaposter

« on: 15 April, 2024, 10:47:33 AM »

About this time a year ago my Fulvia arrived from Italy. I chose to buy a really good example that had been restored to a good standard so that I could concentrate on using it rather than fixing it. Due to delays at DVLA and life in general, it wasn't used until the end of August. Despite that I've clocked up 4500 miles since.

I knew I'd have to sort a few minor bits out as the car hadn't been used much, if at all, since its restoration. The test drive in Italy highlighting poor brakes and super heavy steering.

For those interested, I thought I'd list the bits and pieces I've done to the car/ had done. In imperfect order:

1.New battery with rubber mat under. Was supposed to have been done before delivery from Italy....
2. New spark plugs (2023) and leads. Lots if interference on the radio, so thought suppressed leads may help.
3. Fix interior light. Earth path blocked with paint. Took ages to sort this.
4. Dinitrol all cavities/ doors/ sills/ outriggers/ enclosed areas and under body. Schutz in wheel arches. Big messy job.
5. Replace N/S outer cv boot. Omicron did this during a day trip.
6. Brake servo (looks new) had a huge split in the rubber diaphragm. Omicron replaced this for me.
7. Steering idler was almost solid. The bushes had been replaced previously but were way too tight. Omicron fixed this the same time as the servo.
8. Whilst looking for the cause of the stiff steering the centre tie rod was replaced due to a stiff ball joint.
9. N/S track rod had two left hand threaded ball joints......so no adjustment was possible. Two new rod ends and another track rod adjuster sorted this. Then a trip to my local tyre place for alignment.
10. Soon after arrival from Italy, I changed the oil and filter. Also the coolant.
11. Replace all lamps with led types and led type flasher units as required. Classiccarleds.co.uk supplied.
12 Replace the door edge lamp holders to overcome a previous bodge.
13. Replace door speakers.
14. Fit bluetooth car stereo to enable music, phone and navigation instructions.
15. Replace tyres all round. Fitted Falkens. The high profile copes admirably with the potholed roads around here.
16. Fit retractable seat belts. Wasn't happy at all with the static belts.
17. Full service just completed ready for 2024. Oil, filter, air filter, gearbox oil, coolant, plugs etc.
18. New rear shocks fitted in Italy before delivery.
19. Recent job to remove the gearchange remote mechanism from the car and refurb it, reason being that the gear shift buzzes/ resonates at 3500 to 4000 revs. New bushes, grease seals, external return spring, plastic wedge in lower pivot fork, ring around ball. Very difficult, dirty job working on my back under the car in my drive. 80% sucessful as there is still a buzzing, albeit lesser and a bit different.
20. Fit hazard light circuit. New switch/ relay/ panel.
21. Clean fuse box/ Replace fuses.
22. General tidy of wiring, not that it was bad at all.
23. Have fitted 123 electronic ignition at Omicron.
24. Fit centre rear brake light.
25. Remove rear screen to attempt repair to heated screen....no luck. Filaments seem to have corroded/ burnt out adjacent to the aluminium border strip. Still looking for ideas as to how this can be repaired.
26. Replace charging regulator with a solid state type.
27. Improve door glass weather seal with much adjustment and fiddling. Add some neoprene rod inside the door seals to fill them out.

Have thoroughly enjoyed working on the car, almost as much as I love driving it!

Thanks to this community for much help and advice, Norm, Tim, Colin and Omicron imparticular.

Looking forward to another year of messing about.

Good job I bought a good one, eh?

* 20240303_091026.jpg (3144.34 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 18 times.)
« Last Edit: 15 April, 2024, 01:38:53 PM by HBG » Logged
Simon B

« Reply #1 on: 16 April, 2024, 11:19:52 AM »

We bought one of those “needs nothing doing” Fulvia’s as my wife reminds me each time I disappear outside to do a job or another little package arrives in the post!

“ I chose to buy a really good example that had been restored to a good standard so that I could concentrate on using it rather than fixing it”…. oh, that’s so familiar!

I won’t list everything but it’s been pretty extensive, the reality is that it’s very hard to know what’s been done, or more precisely how well it’s been done, or has it deteriorated again because the cars not been used. The latter was certainly the case with our car, looked fantastic but brakes had sat and despite best efforts they needed a complete rebuild. Water pump, rear wheel bearings, alternator, steering idler, drive flange retaining bolts sheared….the list goes on and on, have I ever regretted buying it, not on your life!  Just planning the route to Italy this year, can’t wait!
HBG
Megaposter

« Reply #2 on: 16 April, 2024, 11:37:49 AM »

It didn't really occur to me that I'd be taking up amateur mechanics even though I've always dabbled.

Simon, do you have it pretty much sorted now? Good enough to use with confidence? What version do you have?

Where in Italy are you heading for? We rode the length of Italy last year and can't wait to return.
Simon B

« Reply #3 on: 16 April, 2024, 01:32:29 PM »

I’ve had 30 plus year break from wielding spanner’s on old cars but mechanical engineer and will usually have a go at anything once!

We’ve had our 1975 Fulvia 3 Coupe 1.3S about 20 months and done 5000 miles, so yes happy to use with confidence. Still plenty to do though, I’ve not done as many “nice to have” type jobs, mainly essential works. The driving experience just gets better with each bit of work. Sorry, some Safari alloys this year were a “nice to have”, but the Falken’s at the same time transformed the ride.

Italy, planning to see the start and another couple of days of the Mille Miglia, so some time Nr Garda, Tuscany, and Emilia-Romagna
HBG
Megaposter

« Reply #4 on: 18 April, 2024, 11:45:51 AM »

Sounds like a great trip. Might be next year before we take ours back to its homeland!
Edjsunfulvia

« Reply #5 on: Today at 09:58:08 AM »

I am also about a year into ownership, as per Howard. Lots wrong with my car imported from S.Africa. I don't have Howard's skill set so have spent a lot of money, much wasted, at a very well known Fulvia establishment.

Car currently with Lancialulu, in very safe hands I feel.  If Tim comes up trumps in time will be on a ferry tomorrow week for a drive around Asturias, then Pyrenees, S.of France and then to Italian lakes. 1965 Sunbeam Alpine is my 'fall back'.
« Last Edit: Today at 02:10:19 PM by Edjsunfulvia » Logged

1971 Fulvia
1983 Aston Martin V8
1966 Sunbeam Alpine
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd