Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 03:31:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Main beam...  (Read 4618 times)
richgoldfinch

« on: 03 May, 2013, 06:58:11 PM »

Started to use the fulvia (s1 coupe) to get to work again (Chippenham to swindon on the m4, give me a wave!), have a niggly little problem where main beam starts to flicker after a couple of mins then they go completely out, battery is charging and don't have the heater or any other electrical items on.  Switching back to dipped and that works fine, all the dash lights are still on and rears.  Have checked the fuse which is fine and cleaned up the terminals of the indicator/ light switch.  When everything is cold, eg next day it works again for a few mins.  Anyone any ideas please?

Cheers Richard

Ps anyone going to fulvia 50 from this neck of the woods?
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 03 May, 2013, 07:26:18 PM »

A temporary earth connection directly to the control "stalk" would identify if there is a poor earth in that area. Richard

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 04 May, 2013, 06:44:14 AM »

A temporary earth connection directly to the control "stalk" would identify if there is a poor earth in that area. Richard

Also worth checking the return springs in the indicator switch are not weak and allowing intermittent contact,

Brian

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
richgoldfinch

« Reply #3 on: 04 May, 2013, 08:10:56 PM »

Thanks both for the feedback,  I've checked both and it looks ok, I was wondering if it was some heat thing as it will be fine for a few mins, will gradually start flickering and getting worse and then the main beam will cut out, but after a few hours will be back working again, only to do the same again.
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 05 May, 2013, 03:00:38 PM »

From bitter experience I would check the fuse box again and look for overheating of the spade terminal.   In my car the two headlight fuses are served by a single connection on the live side. 

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
richgoldfinch

« Reply #5 on: 07 May, 2013, 08:54:17 PM »

Thanks David, I'll check the fuse box as the fuses have played up a while ago with either total headlight failure, or main beam on permanently, any suggestions as to the cause of overheating? Thanks Rich
roddy

« Reply #6 on: 08 May, 2013, 10:47:40 PM »

Perhaps this may or may not be of relevance to the problem.  Remember that the Fulvia was a car of the 1960s.  In those heady days of motoring, you had sidelights and headlights.  Headlamps occasionally had to be dipped for on-coming traffic...!!

On my S1 Fulvia, the headlights have to be switched on with the column lever in the forward position, i.e. main beam.  Putting on the dash switch with the column lever in the dipped position (i.e. nearest the wheel rim), usually results in the relay not working and no lights coming on, or the relay points clicking in and out as all the circuits fight with each other. It sure confuses the MOT man too.

Regards - Roddy 

Roddy Young
Dunfermline, Fife

1970 Fulvia Sport S1 1.3S
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 09 May, 2013, 07:33:12 AM »

Dirty terminal = high resistance=overheating.

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #8 on: 09 May, 2013, 08:13:06 AM »

Sometimes wires can get pinched/cut as they exit the steering column/dash board area. Take the covers off. I found by coincidence the green wire (to main beam solenoid) was almost cut through as I was lowering the steering wheel position the other day. Any way repaired and no harm done.

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
richgoldfinch

« Reply #9 on: 18 May, 2013, 01:33:13 PM »

Thanks all, I tried them with the column lever switch on to main beam to start but got the same thing- those were the days!  Will try taking the shroud off and have a poke around

Cheers
 Richard
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd