Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
26 April, 2024, 12:50:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steering  (Read 497 times)
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« on: 14 March, 2024, 12:09:11 PM »

I've been working on the VIIIth Weymann saloon.  This suffered a frontal impact some 30 years ago and was rebuilt but was never quite the same again.  She wandered and the top bearing on the steering column squeaked and groaned when steering at low speeds when the steering effort was high.   I recently rebuilt the front with a new radiator frame and corrected the castor from negative to positive but forgot about the steering until the engine was back in!   I now find that the steering column is slightly displaced to the left at the dashboard.    This means that the steering box is perhaps one degree out in its orientation.   I am considering jacking the chassis sides apart slightly - it will only need to move a couple of mm at most.    Wish  me luck!

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
Dikappa
Megaposter

« Reply #1 on: 15 March, 2024, 07:23:21 AM »

There is indeed very little room for error in that respect....caused me some headaches too at the time...
Is it not possible to make a bar that exactly fits the hole for the steering gear and that can be clamped in with a strong bolt or piece of wired rod and give the anchor plate a little twist with some leverage?
Any way I fear the engine will have to get out of the way....

So good luck David!
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 17 March, 2024, 01:40:06 PM »

Much to my surprise this crazy arrangement did not go spang until after considerable force had corrected the angle.   Unfirtunately, the correction did not survive the spang.    I need to ba able to apply more pressure, a hydraulic ram is needed (which I do not have)    I must find a body shop...

* P1020073 (Copy).JPG (340.96 KB, 1440x1080 - viewed 13 times.)

* P1020074 (Copy).JPG (403.66 KB, 1440x1080 - viewed 12 times.)

* P1020075 (Copy).JPG (244.25 KB, 810x1080 - viewed 11 times.)

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 21 March, 2024, 11:44:49 AM »

Alas, the clutch is slipping badly.   That means gearbox out so I kight as well lift out the engine as well and get properly at the problem.

davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 24 March, 2024, 10:55:44 PM »

Took her out today and no clutch slip at all even up a hill in top.    There was a smell of clutch to start but it cleared.   I guess things have freed up!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd