Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 12:31:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: S1 Tuning  (Read 4248 times)
Clyno
« on: 26 November, 2012, 12:26:08 PM »

Gentlemen I’m in need of your advice..........i have a standard Series 1 coupe Rallye 1.3s and am contemplating changing the standard Air Box & filter for either foam air socks or my preferred option, a set of Gauze fitted trumpets. I understand that there may be issues with warm engine air circulating within the engine bay, and that this can be overcome with ducting cold air to the carburettors, but I was wondering if anyone has done this modification and what their findings were.

This also leads me on to another question....... I like to tune the engine to a fast road specification, but without spending a small fortune. Would anyone be able to advise me an how best to go about this. Thanks Trev.
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 26 November, 2012, 01:41:58 PM »

hi

Lancia already tuned it for fast road use!! Grin you could spend a lot of money and gain5bhp.....

best area to look at is to get the exhuast to breath better and going to gp4 with ported head is the simplest way...

re air box agian Lania worked hard to make this one work and has the added benefit of a fire trap. problem with open trumpets is spitting back can cause an engine bay fire. some racers gut the box and fit a big bore hose to the inner wing with a k and n filter....

tim

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
ncundy
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #2 on: 26 November, 2012, 04:18:25 PM »

I wouldn't be too keen on running it with only gauze filters, you'll risk accelerated bore wear with no filtration. I'd agree with Tim, exhaust, cams and carbs. For anything meaningful I would think you'll want a budget of £1000+.

1969 Fanalone, Mazda RX-8, Fiat Multipla
neil-yaj396
Committee
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 26 November, 2012, 06:05:36 PM »

Surely a S1 would be better left in standard spec? Not one to tinker with I would say and gauze covered trumpets have been a no-no for years.

1979 1300 Beta Coupe, 2014 Ypsilon 1.2 S Series Momo
roddy

« Reply #4 on: 26 November, 2012, 11:29:12 PM »

Hello Trev

Just to reiterate what has been written - not a good idea to pick up the warm air from the radiator into the carbs, nor to run without good filtration.  Suggest that some benefits can be gained on the inlet side by ensuring that the inlet manifold ports blend on to the head ports and there are no flange faces showing, and similarly with the ports of the metalastic gasket.  The ports of the inlet manifold can sometimes have sharp edges where machined, and they can be blended and polished.

Big gains can be obtained on the exhaust side and a Fulvia engine can breath much better with some exhaust changes.  Although expensive, a proper Group 4 style manifold and system is worthwhile.  My own experience is with the one offered by Omicron (admittedly on a 1600cc engine), and a middle pipe for a Series 1 car is available (it is straight whereas the Series 2 is curved round the different subframe rear cradle of the 5 speed gearbox).  The system also offers good gains in torque, and that is important :-

If you make the engine very 'peaky', you will find that it will drop off cam with the wider ratios of the 4 speed box, hence the importance of keeping good torque.

Regards - Roddy

Roddy Young
Dunfermline, Fife

1970 Fulvia Sport S1 1.3S
Clyno
« Reply #5 on: 28 November, 2012, 10:53:12 AM »

Gentlemen,
Thank you all for your valid constructive advice. It’s much appreciated.
Trev.
angelorange
Megaposter

« Reply #6 on: 31 December, 2012, 03:32:55 PM »

Weber do a double mesh (very fine gauze) trumpet covers which (outside of a harmattan storm) work as well for filtration and air flow.  Main issue is getting cold air past the upright radiator.  Race cars often had rads made lower such as the F&M one off machines.

I'm entitled to my ignorance!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd