Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 04:33:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tapping/Knocking Noise  (Read 58933 times)
neil-yaj396
Committee
Permanent resident

« Reply #75 on: 17 July, 2015, 04:16:23 PM »

I still think it is a faulty clutch which from memory did not get changed in the whole gearbox change over point.....

A clutch problem would fit with the noise 'changing'.

1979 1300 Beta Coupe, 2014 Ypsilon 1.2 S Series Momo
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #76 on: 20 July, 2015, 03:18:32 PM »

I still think it is a faulty clutch which from memory did not get changed in the whole gearbox change over point.....

You are right Tim, I did not change the clutch although I did fit a new friction plate. If it is the clutch I would nopt be unhappy, I know how to do that now!!!! I will keep using it and see if I can provoke it a little more.

Thank you Brian for the thought on the thrust washers. I will try that and report back.

Andy
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #77 on: 27 July, 2015, 05:14:58 PM »

Just reporting back ........ there is no discernible movement in the crank pulley relative to the sump casting when the clutch pedal is depressed and also there is no change in engine speed. So it is looking less likely that the crankshaft thrust washers are the culprit.

This was checked this afternoon with the help of a grandson ... I had faith that they would come in useful eventually!! We then went for a drive with said grandson holding the mobile phone to video our progress and the accompanying noise. I will get the help desk to upload the video to something where you, the cognoscenti, will instantly diagnose the problem ..... I hope. I will let you know where and when the video is available to view.

In the meantime I am contemplating rebuilding B20 driveshaft UJs and pot joints!!

Andy
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #78 on: 27 July, 2015, 05:22:43 PM »

The pot joint rebuild should be a nice clean "bench" job ....

Good , continued, hunting with the noise

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #79 on: 27 July, 2015, 10:18:29 PM »

Just reporting back ........ there is no discernible movement in the crank pulley relative to the sump casting when the clutch pedal is depressed and also there is no change in engine speed. So it is looking less likely that the crankshaft thrust washers are the culprit.

This was checked this afternoon with the help of a grandson ... I had faith that they would come in useful eventually!! We then went for a drive with said grandson holding the mobile phone to video our progress and the accompanying noise. I will get the help desk to upload the video to something where you, the cognoscenti, will instantly diagnose the problem ..... I hope. I will let you know where and when the video is available to view.

In the meantime I am contemplating rebuilding B20 driveshaft UJs and pot joints!!

Andy
Andy,
sorry my Penn'orth didn't help but at least it's another checked.
I shall wait with my stethoscope plugged into my ears!

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #80 on: 28 July, 2015, 12:29:52 PM »

With the help of the second generation helpdesk video clips have been uploaded to instagram. Find them at #Appianoise or on my account @thecern.

Please listen, diagnose and advise!! Somehow I have a feeling that it will not be that simple, but any suggestions would be very gratefully received.

Andy
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #81 on: 11 August, 2015, 07:24:55 PM »

Frankly dear people, I am disappointed!! Not a whisper, not a murmur!! Is no-one prepared to put their head above the parapet and offer a suggestion as to what the bloody hell this 'orrible noise might be?

Come on .......... please, what is going on in that engine?

Andy
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #82 on: 11 August, 2015, 07:27:11 PM »

Its the clutch having heard it first hand (dont do instagram....)

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #83 on: 11 August, 2015, 09:42:21 PM »

Thankfully Andy I'm not an expert so I can say what I like and expect to be corrected!

Its not an engine noise for sure, sounds almost like dried out/aged leather rotating against something in the drivetrain, did they use leather much in the Appias construction?!... Cool...seriously the noise reminds me of the old style wooden "rattles" used by footie fans.....the driveshaft rubber coupling failed/disintegrated, if they used them in the Appia?!

Hoping the guys with the real knowledge pass by!

P

Frank Gallagher
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #84 on: 11 August, 2015, 10:58:40 PM »

Frank, you have described the noise accurately. When it first started it was more like an exhaust pipe banging against the body!!

Anyway, it does seem to be in the engine or gearbox/clutch assembly as it can be provoked when stationary.

Andy
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #85 on: 11 August, 2015, 11:21:18 PM »

Frankly dear people, I am disappointed!! Not a whisper, not a murmur!! Is no-one prepared to put their head above the parapet and offer a suggestion as to what the bloody hell this 'orrible noise might be?

Come on .......... please, what is going on in that engine?

Andy
Sorry Andy,
I don't do Instagram either,

Do you by any chance have a heater? if so perhaps the fan?
As you say it can be provoked when stationary I assume that is with the engine running and by operating the clutch, is the engine moving on it's mountings and catching against something?
Is it possibly the fan assembly itself catching?
I'm also clutching at straws!

Brian
8227 Cool

Dedra Technical Adviser
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #86 on: 12 August, 2015, 06:40:43 AM »

If you don't do the instagram thing, how can you get to hear it - via the facebook thing ?

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #87 on: 12 August, 2015, 08:01:55 AM »

Thank you for the thoughts Brian. These matters have, I think, been dealt with. There is no heater. New engine mounts made no difference, although they all three were shot, so together with a visual check I have ruled out movement of the engine. Don had suggested the fan catching, but there seems to be plenty of clearance there and no signs of damage etc on the tips of the blades.

This has been the frustrating thing, that as it initially only occurred when under way, it was not possible to get a head under the bonnet to investigate. As it has got worse I may now stand a chance, but it is not bad enough yet!! I am just hoping I can identify the problem before something breaks and it gets expensive!!

Time, as always, will tell!!

Andy
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #88 on: 12 August, 2015, 11:57:25 AM »

Thank you for the thoughts Brian. These matters have, I think, been dealt with. There is no heater. New engine mounts made no difference, although they all three were shot, so together with a visual check I have ruled out movement of the engine. Don had suggested the fan catching, but there seems to be plenty of clearance there and no signs of damage etc on the tips of the blades.

This has been the frustrating thing, that as it initially only occurred when under way, it was not possible to get a head under the bonnet to investigate. As it has got worse I may now stand a chance, but it is not bad enough yet!! I am just hoping I can identify the problem before something breaks and it gets expensive!!

Time, as always, will tell!!

Andy

Andy,
What sort of speed to you have to be doing to hear the noise?
No doubt health and safety would have a fit, but in my youth I sat on many a front wing holding on at low speed listening for noises!
Is it possible to put it up on Axle stands and sturdy wooden blocks and run it in gear with the back wheels off the ground, with the front wheels  securely chocked? even better if you could get access to a four poster lift with the front to back rails which can support the car with the wheels off the ground and try running it in gear.

Brian
8227 Cool

Dedra Technical Adviser
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #89 on: 12 August, 2015, 12:02:17 PM »

...then running it in gear against the handbrake.

The other place to test is on a rolling road.

David Laver, Lewisham.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd