Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
29 March, 2024, 07:27:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tapping/Knocking Noise  (Read 58949 times)
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #45 on: 29 May, 2014, 02:47:11 PM »

Getting back to the question of oil for the gearbox ..... I e mailed Morris Lubricants and asked for their advice. I added that Esso XP Compound EP 90 was a recommended oil, but I was considering an SAE30. Hopefully their response is shown below. So, should I go with their suggestion (90 grade but non EP) or go for an EP 90, which they also do? I am inclined towards the latter.

Andy

FW: Lancia Appia (1956) Gearbox Oil
Inbox
x

Technical Info <info@morris-lubricants.co.uk>
11:03 (4 hours ago)

to me
Good morning

Thank you for your recent enquiry.

The oil we would recommend is our GoldenFilm AG 90 Classic Gear oil. I have attached the technical data sheet for further information.

An SAE 90 gear viscosity grade would equate to and SAE 50, so and SAE 30 would not be suitable.

Many Thanks

Regards

Phil Saunders BSc (Hons)

Quality Assurance Manager
psaunders@morris-lubricants.co.uk
www.morrislubricants.co.uk

VAT Reg No.GB 838 4203 27
Registered in England & Wales No.4930959
Registered Office:
38-41 Castle Foregate
Shrewsbury
Shropshire
SY1 2EL
peteracs
Administrator
Rebel Poster

« Reply #46 on: 29 May, 2014, 03:01:41 PM »

Hi Andy

No experience with your car, but there has been some comments for a while now about not using EP oil in Beta gearboxes on the Beta forum due to the additives attacking some of the metals in the box. No idea on the science involved, but maybe why the recommended was not an EP one?

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
chugga boom
Non-LMC Seller
Permanent resident

« Reply #47 on: 29 May, 2014, 06:25:15 PM »

apparently there is some acids in EP oils that attacks brass and bronze, however I've used ep80/90 in the appias and augustas  for around 10 years and my dad in the astura for 30 years with no ill affect , I maybe wrong but its probably a theory that's blown out of all proportion like the one about cars becoming addicted to easy start

1935 augusta lusso (chugga)
1935 belna saloon
1935 augusta lusso
1938 ardenne
1939 aprilia lusso
1958 appia s2
1963 appia s3 
195? appia camioncino
1972 fulvia 1600HF
1976 fulvia coupe
194? ardea SUV  "THE BEAST!!!"
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #48 on: 30 May, 2014, 01:46:51 PM »

Thank you James, EP90 it is then !!!!

So, the small matter of the propshaft .... that should not take long I thought. I do not know quite what I did wrong, but there must be an easier way than the way I did it. I did the diff. end first, easy, most encouraging. However, at the gearbox end it was not so easy. I think in hindsight the trick is to align everything before offering it up as it is difficult to spin the propshaft relative to the gearbox spider once it is up in place. Anyway, it took more time and distinctly more effort than I was expecting!! I will do the gearbox end first, if (when?) there is a next time as there is more scope to push things around at the diff. end where there is no handbrake operating lever to complicate things.

So after that it was plugs, distributor cap, w.screen washer bottle and carrier, top up the radiator and drag out the battery to get that on charge. Only the air filter housing to go back and oil in the gearbox, then get it off the stands and blocks and keep my fingers crossed. I do not know if the clutch will need adjustment with its new plate, there seems to be plenty of free play on the pedal, time will tell!!!!

Andy

DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #49 on: 30 May, 2014, 05:56:54 PM »

Reasons to be cheerful - its easier than taking Modestine to bits and back again etc etc chasing a knock.

Fingers crossed!!!

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #50 on: 30 May, 2014, 09:43:36 PM »

Oil in the gearbox, air filter on and battery back in!!! Dropped it off the blocks and stands, it does look small when its not a foot up in the air.

However, it will not start!!!! Mind you I am not surprised having been stuck in the garage for a year. I only had 10mins to play with it, so I will have another go soon. It does have a spark so it may be as simple as stale fuel ....

Jim is here tomorrow so it will be an Aurelia day, fit doors, bonnet and bootlid, well maybe a door or two!!!!

Andy
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #51 on: 31 May, 2014, 07:31:28 AM »

Oil in the gearbox, air filter on and battery back in!!! Dropped it off the blocks and stands, it does look small when its not a foot up in the air.

However, it will not start!!!! Mind you I am not surprised having been stuck in the garage for a year. I only had 10mins to play with it, so I will have another go soon. It does have a spark so it may be as simple as stale fuel ....

Jim is here tomorrow so it will be an Aurelia day, fit doors, bonnet and bootlid, well maybe a door or two!!!!

Andy

Fingers crossed Andy Grin

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #52 on: 01 June, 2014, 07:40:08 PM »

So, dump a gallon of stale petrol into the Meriva and buy a gallon of the fresh stuff. Get that into the Appia and give it a whirl ..... wahoo, it started, a little lumpy to begin with, but it soon smoothed out. Check the tyres and off we go, just up and down the road to begin with, sometimes living in a cul de sac is an advantage!! All seemed ok, well, ok enough and so off up the local hill and ............. the knocking is still there!!!! I must admit I am not surprised, after all, I found no fault, but I am disappointed!!!  Anyway, I decided to disconnect the speedo cable just to eliminate that ... and here comes today's hot tip ..... do NOT cable tie the disconnected speedo cable to the clutch return spring. The cable moves and gets trapped between the floorpan and the pedal cross shaft damaging the cable. Such is life!!!!

Back into the garage and give up for today. I think try it on a ramp and see if I can provoke the fault, if not then run it until I kill it seems the only option left.

To be updated.

Andy
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #53 on: 01 June, 2014, 07:50:23 PM »

Shame that Andy, you've tried an awful lot of theories etc to sort this....but please don't kill the little Appia!!!

P

Frank Gallagher
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #54 on: 01 June, 2014, 09:05:11 PM »

On the up side, it's not the 'box !

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #55 on: 01 June, 2014, 09:25:06 PM »

Simon, there is always an up side, it is just that sometimes it is a little difficult to find!!!!!

Andy
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #56 on: 02 June, 2014, 07:21:03 AM »

Reasons to be cheerful: As it wasn't the box that makes the one that came out "a good spare".

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
ben
Lapsed
Megaposter

« Reply #57 on: 02 June, 2014, 07:38:26 AM »

Just to make you feel a bit less cheerful I suspect you have a broken crankshaft.
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #58 on: 02 June, 2014, 09:49:57 AM »

Could it be a cracked propshaft with the crack only opening up under load (as my B20 propshaft did at Silverstone a couple of weeks ago)?
Chris

Chris Gawne
Mobile: 07778 216552
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #59 on: 02 June, 2014, 10:41:01 AM »

The great pity with this car is that it was the "bird in the hand" to have on the road having waited patient decades to get on with the two "birds in the bush.  I really feel for you.

Have you tried a brutally bad hill start (cook up that clutch...) on a really steep hill?  If the hill isn't steep enough try and pull your Transit up the steepest hill you can find.  That might eliminate anything that moves as the car moves (prop, axle) from something like the crankshaft.

A rolling road and a video camera is one idea for chassis and under bonnet on the move - or even rig up a camera you don't mind risking and take it on a road test.  I'm remembering John Turner's sliding pillar footage.

Is there a way to count rear axle teeth or to load the CWP up static or "slowly"?

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd