Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 09:01:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: B20 at track day  (Read 8754 times)
Kevin MacBride
Lapsed
Megaposter

« on: 27 August, 2012, 10:36:14 PM »

Kinda surprised myself today....A friend of mine has a garage called 'TI Autos'...so with a name like that you'd expect Alfa Romeo and you'd be correct. Celebrating 30 years as TI (although the garage has been in the family since the 20's) he had a track day for his customers. Dozens of Alfas turned up, mostly from the Giulia era up to present models.
I was asked to bring the B20, so as the only 'outsider' didn't want to let the side down.
I need not have worried, apart from the 'moderns' nothing could keep pace with the B20, 'specially on the twisty bits. As an example, one of the quickest older Alfas there was a 2.0 'GTV', quite a special car, original inner shell, with fibreglass outer panels, doors, bonnet and bootlid, plus a later twin spark 'Nord' engine, with multiple webers, and some tuning.
I have to say I was pleasently chuffed with myself, and at least one customer has booked some 'tuning time'

* TI Track day.jpg (108.75 KB, 800x532 - viewed 365 times.)

B20 4th series (having a 'facelift')

2000 sedan
Fiat Multipla
Fiat Cinquecento
JohnMillham
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 28 August, 2012, 07:56:01 AM »

Kinda surprised myself today....A friend of mine has a garage called 'TI Autos'...so with a name like that you'd expect Alfa Romeo and you'd be correct. Celebrating 30 years as TI (although the garage has been in the family since the 20's) he had a track day for his customers. Dozens of Alfas turned up, mostly from the Giulia era up to present models.
I was asked to bring the B20, so as the only 'outsider' didn't want to let the side down.
I need not have worried, apart from the 'moderns' nothing could keep pace with the B20, 'specially on the twisty bits. As an example, one of the quickest older Alfas there was a 2.0 'GTV', quite a special car, original inner shell, with fibreglass outer panels, doors, bonnet and bootlid, plus a later twin spark 'Nord' engine, with multiple webers, and some tuning.
I have to say I was pleasently chuffed with myself, and at least one customer has booked some 'tuning time'
Barrie would have been proud of you!
 Regards, John
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 28 August, 2012, 09:34:39 AM »

Well done that man Grin
Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 28 August, 2012, 10:19:49 AM »

Well done Kevin,
A nice photo.
I realise looking closely that your front bumper mountings have diasppeared (as have mine after my big accident at Oulton Park in 2009). A bit of a problem I think though as certain race organisers such as Julius Thurgood now want to see 1950's cars with original bumpers, not for safety but for appearance. What to do?

Chris Gawne
Mobile: 07778 216552
Kevin MacBride
Lapsed
Megaposter

« Reply #4 on: 28 August, 2012, 12:50:55 PM »

There were no bumpers with my car. I'm fairly certain the supports are behind the panel. My bodyshop friend replaced a lot of metal, but also left a lot of 'stuff' hidden in case I need it in future.
I use one of the rear bumper supports for the required 'towing eye'. I suppose you could leave the front ones in place a plug them when not in use.
I have to say, I'm not a fan of all these 'originalty rules. Do you honestly think that back in 'period' a racer was going to leave heavy items such as bumpers in place, or not try to upgrade his engine or brakes if he could find a way.
I realize that some old photos of B20's racing, showed them with bumpers in place, but there are probably just as many with them removed.
I've no idea how much a pair of bumpers would cost, but I think I'd prefer to spend the money on tyres, or entry fees as an example.

2000 sedan
Fiat Multipla
Fiat Cinquecento
HF_Dave
Megaposter

Rust , What Rust !! I don't See any rust !!!

« Reply #5 on: 29 August, 2012, 07:35:12 PM »

Nie picture kevin, Was the track wet ? it looks damp.

My Current Cars:

1991 Thema station wagon
1989 Thema 16v
2011 Lancia Delta 3

1977 Beta sedan 2000
1975 Fulvia S3 1.3
1973 Flavia HF 2000 Coupe
1972 Fulvia S2 1.3
1989 Thema 8.32
**Other Makes**
2018 Alfa Giulia
1999 Alfa 156
2009 Fiat Du
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 30 August, 2012, 08:44:48 AM »

Kevin,
Your car had towing eyes underneath back and front positioned centrally when new and, assuming the integrity of the bodyshell in these areas is still good, they are extremely strong. I still use these as my 'towing points' on my racecar, albeit with large woven loops attached as per the new regulations to enable them to acceopt a large towing hook.
Before I had my 'incident' at Oulton Park, my front bumper fixings were protruding from the outer skin of the car and on one occasion at scrutineering, the official expressed concern at these protrusions.
Chris

Chris Gawne
Kevin MacBride
Lapsed
Megaposter

« Reply #7 on: 30 August, 2012, 11:39:37 PM »

Kevin,
Your car had towing eyes underneath back and front positioned centrally when new and, assuming the integrity of the bodyshell in these areas is still good, they are extremely strong. I still use these as my 'towing points' on my racecar, albeit with large woven loops attached as per the new regulations to enable them to acceopt a large towing hook.
Before I had my 'incident' at Oulton Park, my front bumper fixings were protruding from the outer skin of the car and on one occasion at scrutineering, the official expressed concern at these protrusions.
Chris

The front tow eye is still used, and appears well secured. I also use the woven hoop when I race, I tend to remove it when not needed. The rear one I'm not sure about. My car did have the rear panel with a small reversing lamp space. Before I did the bodywork I collected as many panels as I thought I'd need, to save time during the restoration. All of these came by way of Nigel Trow (a big thanks). The rear panel was copied from his own car at the time, which had no reversing lamp.
It pelted with rain all morning, and almost to the second stopped at one o'clock. Then at almost 5.30, when the session endedthe heavens opened again.
Photo attached is my one and only fan, as for the car in the background, the less said the better, it's slowley beginning to drive me demented..!!

* 004.JPG (358.72 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 389 times.)

2000 sedan
Fiat Multipla
Fiat Cinquecento
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #8 on: 31 August, 2012, 07:07:29 AM »

HI Kevin, sorry , but you can't get away with 'as for the car in the background, the less said the better' !!!!! A B20, especially with the bonnet up may not be ignored. What is the situation and why the frustration?  Time to spill the beans !!!!                                     

Your fan looks very happy and long may he continue to enjoy the cars.

Andy

DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #9 on: 31 August, 2012, 08:14:28 AM »

Your eyesight is good enough to spot the car - but not all the pink hearts on the fan's shirt.  My guess is that the fan is a 'she'...

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #10 on: 31 August, 2012, 08:32:00 AM »

Kevin....remember the story about the spider.....making his web...........persistence always wins the day.

This forum has every confidence in you!

P

Frank Gallagher
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #11 on: 31 August, 2012, 09:10:44 AM »

Kevin,
I stand to be corrected here but IMHO only 4th series B20s had a reversing light fitted as standard below the rear bumper. The light fitting being a sort of 'hooded' red glass lamp with a chrome surround was so exposed that many got damaged in reversing manoeuvres over time. Therefore they are like hens teeth today to the extent that I have never actually seen one for sale. Neither have I seen them fitted to any other 50's Italian car although I am pretty certain they would have been.
Chris

Chris Gawne
williamcorke
Rebel Poster

B10

« Reply #12 on: 31 August, 2012, 10:40:03 AM »

I'm with Chris in that my understanding is that the central reversing light was (like the tinted glass) a 4th series only thing.  My project S4 came without one, but Ron Francis managed to unearth a slightly ratty one for me, which I think will respond to treatment.  Not sure if Ron has any more; you never know...
« Last Edit: 31 August, 2012, 12:03:33 PM by williamcorke » Logged

'37 Aprilia
'50 B10
'53 B20
'68 Flavia Vignale
'55 Giulietta Sprint
S1 Land Rover
ColinMarr
Permanent resident

« Reply #13 on: 31 August, 2012, 05:26:11 PM »

On the subject of bumpers and racing, the images below might be of interest. The quality is awful because they are taken from Xerox copies of the originals. They are from a classic saloon car race at Silverstone in the 1970s.

One is of Barrie Crowe racing DXP (now Kevin’s car) complete with front bumper. The other is of Barry Waterhouse’s B20 without a bumper. The Wolseley in pursuit of Barry appears to have front bumper and a big bell! Knowing Barry it is quite possible that the view in his mirror of just such a car might not have been unfamiliar to him.

Colin

* CroweAurelia.jpg (273.08 KB, 1255x880 - viewed 383 times.)

* BarryAurelia.jpg (284.34 KB, 1299x840 - viewed 386 times.)
Kevin MacBride
Lapsed
Megaposter

« Reply #14 on: 31 August, 2012, 10:14:55 PM »

Great photos, wonder what ever happened to 'my' bumpers. Would the pursuit car have had a blue flashing light by any chance. And does the Barry Waterhouse car still exist ?
Regarding the B20 in the background. I'd previously started a thread on this car, however circumstances have prevented me updating.
I'd gotton the engine running, even took the car for a few test drives, and everything seemed ok. Till one day I dipped the oil, to find the dreaded 'mayonnaise' syndrom.
So, off came the heads, and new gaskets fitted (even that was a story in itself). Left head went on fine, Right head was going well up to the last nut, which stripped its threads. So, rather than take off the head again, I chanced trying to remove the stud. Using a stud extractor, everything seemed to be going well, but even tho' the stud unscrewed itself ok, it was taking a long time to clear the head.
Then I'd realized that the stud was not original, and had been replaced with a 'stepped' stud, as in the head threads were 10mm, whilst the stud shank was 8mm. So the head had to come off.
I could not get a similar stud, so had to fit a 10mm one, and bore the head accordingly. Off with the head.
On fitting the rocker blocks to the LH head, one of the studs sheared off.
I made the desision to remove both heads, and fit a complete set of studs, both head and rocker.
28 head studs came out ok, 2 would not budge, and 2 sheared in the block..........
Tommorow the engine is coming out, and off to the machine shop, where hopefully they can remove the studs.
« Last Edit: 31 August, 2012, 10:16:33 PM by Kevin MacBride » Logged

2000 sedan
Fiat Multipla
Fiat Cinquecento
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd