Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 06:54:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: email hacking  (Read 3334 times)
Donald

« on: 03 August, 2012, 04:29:47 PM »

Thank you to all who contacted me to enquire if I was OK. A hacker got in to my email address and sent out a message that I was stranded in Madrid with no money, and needed £2,700 to get back home. I am well, and at home in Scotland. After a lengthy process with BT, my email is back to normal, but still waiting for my contacts to be re-established. The hackers computer has been traced, and all details and addresses eliminated .

Nuova Delta
Kappa Coupe 2.4 20V
JohnMillham
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 03 August, 2012, 04:49:02 PM »

I had a similar message recently which claimed to be from Stafford Buck, asking for funds to be sent to Spain. Someone must have got at his address book.
Regards, John
rogerelias
Rebel Poster

MY 1600HF IN HEARTBEAT GARAGE

« Reply #2 on: 03 August, 2012, 10:14:52 PM »

Yep, and I am still waiting to be rescued from a hotel in the far east Wink Wink  happened to me too Roll Eyes

FULVIA 1600HF LUSSO
1958 VELOCETTE MAC
Triumph Bonneville t120v 1972
1968 MGC ROADSTER
1958 Series 2 Appia berlina
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 04 August, 2012, 12:09:46 AM »

Yep, and I am still waiting to be rescued from a hotel in the far east Wink Wink  happened to me too Roll Eyes
I had one supposedly from Peter Baker, and Guy (st Volumex) had one from Donald's email address, quite a lot of people it would seem have been caught out by this scam.
brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
Donald

« Reply #4 on: 04 August, 2012, 09:11:30 PM »

I got Rogers heart rending plea from the Far East.  It seems the hacker got hold of my email and created a forwarding address, so that all my incoming emails went direct to him.  BT were very good, they tracked the hackers computer and deleted everything. All is back to normal now, all passwords changed, but it was a very unpleasant experience. 

Nuova Delta
Kappa Coupe 2.4 20V
St Volumex
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

Owner of RetroPart

« Reply #5 on: 05 August, 2012, 07:44:19 AM »

I got Rogers heart rending plea from the Far East.  It seems the hacker got hold of my email and created a forwarding address, so that all my incoming emails went direct to him.  BT were very good, they tracked the hackers computer and deleted everything. All is back to normal now, all passwords changed, but it was a very unpleasant experience. 

Donald, I got your 'appeal' from Spain, and was prepared to send you money, but checked with Stu first!  Grin

Guy McDougall
www.facebook.com/RetroPart
Rare Parts for Rare Machines
Appia Coupé S3 (Rosina), Appia Berlina S3 (La Giaconda), Fulvia 1.3S 5 spd coupé (Tigger, belongs to Carol), Beta Spyder S2 (Vivaldi), Montecarlo Spyder S2, HPE VX (Pugsly) etc
Donald

« Reply #6 on: 05 August, 2012, 10:15:02 AM »

Phew, I'm glad you checked it out first, but thanks for the concern. Most of the people contacted were LMC members, but not all.
At least the scam has now been exposed, and we should beware.

Nuova Delta
Kappa Coupe 2.4 20V
neil-yaj396
Committee
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 07 August, 2012, 06:29:43 AM »

I got a very similar message purporting to be from a wealthy QC I've worked with in the past. Had to laugh really. I would have been the last person he would have emailed for money in any circumstances!

1979 1300 Beta Coupe, 2014 Ypsilon 1.2 S Series Momo
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd