Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 09:08:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gearbox selector shaft  (Read 4572 times)
waterboy
Lapsed

« on: 18 May, 2012, 08:34:08 AM »

Hi all

I was wondering if anyone out there could help me with a gearbox selector shaft? swap please. My S3 fulvia had had a "loose" feel to it since purchase last year and i now know the reason why. Basically the selector shaft was loose in the body at the gear lever end. Also the part that sits on the top at the gear lever end has broken off though i do not think it has anything to do with the "loose" feel. So far i have removed the 4 nuts holding the unit to the gearbox, reverse light switch, removed the spring and separated the linkage point. Unfortunately the unit is fouling the bulkhead / tunnel when trying to clear the 2 threads at the front (engine side) but not by much. What would be the best way to create a little more space?

Thanks

Simon
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 18 May, 2012, 09:06:54 AM »

Simon

I have normally dropped the gear box (good opportunity to replace the clutch with Fiat Uno 1.4 Turbo - direct fit and better).

You can buy the bushing at each end of the seletor rod tube which is advisable even if you get a replacement extension housing.

Tim

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
waterboy
Lapsed

« Reply #2 on: 18 May, 2012, 10:47:15 AM »

Thanks Tim

The uno clutch went in back end of last year Tim and it works great. This was done when i changed the front o/s wheel bearing which put up a strong fight as i recall.
I was hoping there would be a less time consuming proceedure, but then again it`s a Fulvia after all. Makes my Spitfire a doddle to work on in comparison.
Will definately get the 2 bushings though.

Simon
angelorange
Megaposter

« Reply #3 on: 21 May, 2012, 10:32:30 PM »

Tony Wilson can refurbish these he has done several of my Fulvia boxes:

https://sites.google.com/site/tonywilson43/

I'm entitled to my ignorance!
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 30 May, 2012, 08:50:18 AM »

You could always undo the 4 subframe bolts and lift the car off the whole unit which is then eminently accessible...

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
waterboy
Lapsed

« Reply #5 on: 30 May, 2012, 08:58:37 PM »

Sorry for not updating, David, it`s exactly what i did, i undid the 4 lower and 2 uppers by about 1/2". I then raised the car on 2 trolley jacks on the front jacking points (eaqually with an assistant), then tilted the subframe up at the front with a third jack. It gave me the required gap to remove and replace with a refurbished (thanks Tim) unit. What a difference it`s made. First to second can now be achieved in total confidence and up and down shifts are not guess work anymore.

Simon
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 01 June, 2012, 08:06:17 AM »

Rather than using jacks, I suspend a block and tackle from a skyhook and attach it to a wooden beam set across the inside of the front of the engine compartment and just lift it from there.  Sans engine, the car is not that heavy.

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
Nick Longman

« Reply #7 on: 04 June, 2012, 08:03:48 AM »

Hi Tim - is the Uno 1.4 turbo clutch conversion just for 1.6 or does it work with a 1.3?

Thanks, Nick
ColinMarr
Permanent resident

« Reply #8 on: 04 June, 2012, 10:15:41 AM »

Also to note that Uno 1.4 Turbos are now probably as rare as Fulvias. So, another question might be - should we all be buying Uno 1.4 clutches to put in store for when they might be needed?

Colin
angelorange
Megaposter

« Reply #9 on: 21 June, 2012, 05:09:01 PM »

These fit all S2 cars 1.3 and 1600.

There are plenty of Uno Turbo 1.4 clutches out there. Make sure you don't go for the 1.4TD one - it won't fit!

For S1 cars talk to Huib who has done a special conversion: http://www.viva-lancia.com/fulvia-workshop/index.htm

OMP do a competition clutch housing and Valeo a special racing 3 paddle clutch plate with uprated springs.

I'm entitled to my ignorance!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd