Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 03:47:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aprilia inside door handles  (Read 31795 times)
ben
Lapsed
Megaposter

« Reply #45 on: 20 September, 2012, 01:44:08 PM »

Have just given a broken one a good thumping and revealed the following:

* Y10 Selectronic rust 007.JPG (702.74 KB, 2016x1512 - viewed 386 times.)
williamcorke
Rebel Poster

B10

« Reply #46 on: 20 September, 2012, 06:11:24 PM »

That's interesting.  It makes sense to have a screwdriver-like flange - it might offer more grip against the casting of the handle than another splined end (an engineer can probably tell us).  That handle looks more like pot-metal than brass; were they made in more than one type of material?

If the handle I photographed is wanted as a pattern, let me know.
« Last Edit: 21 September, 2012, 06:57:39 AM by williamcorke » Logged

'37 Aprilia
'50 B10
'53 B20
'68 Flavia Vignale
'55 Giulietta Sprint
S1 Land Rover
St Volumex
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

Owner of RetroPart

« Reply #47 on: 21 September, 2012, 08:38:49 AM »

Ben, thank you for clearing that up.  I always imagined (I don't know why) that the end inside the handle was also a spline Huh?  I think it was probably made that way to save costs.

William C, I will let you know, as in the meantime since my appeal, some more offers of sample handles have been made.

Regards,
« Last Edit: 22 September, 2012, 06:11:09 AM by St Volumex » Logged

Guy McDougall
www.facebook.com/RetroPart
Rare Parts for Rare Machines
Appia Coupé S3 (Rosina), Appia Berlina S3 (La Giaconda), Fulvia 1.3S 5 spd coupé (Tigger, belongs to Carol), Beta Spyder S2 (Vivaldi), Montecarlo Spyder S2, HPE VX (Pugsly) etc
St Volumex
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

Owner of RetroPart

« Reply #48 on: 22 September, 2012, 06:19:23 AM »

William C, you are right too that the screwdriver-type end of the spined shaft would make it strong to withstand the torque applied to the handle.

Now I also have a better understanding of how the splined shaft needs to be fitted to the handle.

Is the orientation of the shaft in the handle very critical, or do the splines allow enough minor adjustment so the handle faces (more or less) the right way?

Now I'd love to have a sample of the spined shaft too please!  Grin

(All these thoughts whirled around in my head at 03h45 this morning when I was woken by a thunderstorm!)

Regards,

Guy McDougall
Appia Coupé S3 (Rosina), Appia Berlina S3 (La Giaconda), Fulvia 1.3S 5 spd coupé (Tigger, belongs to Carol), Beta Spyder S2 (Vivaldi), Montecarlo Spyder S2, HPE VX (Pugsly) etc
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #49 on: 24 September, 2012, 08:33:01 AM »

I don't think so, there is fine enough adjustment available to position the handles where you will.   I was assuming, if we are using stainless steel or brass, that the splines would have been cast as a piece with the handle?  But I suppose this may not be possible mechanically as the splines may need to be machined?  My original doorhandles seem to be cast in rubbishmetal (some sort of zinc alloy I think that decays after 20 years).

Incidentally, apologies for my confusion earlier  re door handle splines.  Splines tubes??  Don't know what I was thinking of!  The hollow splines in the window winders are cast in situ of course, less stress on them.

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
St Volumex
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

Owner of RetroPart

« Reply #50 on: 25 September, 2012, 08:33:32 AM »

David W, that's good news and will make them easier to make.

I have all but decided to make the inside door handles WITHOUT the splines cast inside them, as that creates too many manufacturing headaches, and limits the number of handles we can make at one time.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazak_(alloy) for more on that rubbishmetal!  Grin

Guy McDougall
appiaman

« Reply #51 on: 27 September, 2012, 06:49:23 PM »

Guyz i just bought handles today from cavallito in turin someone already making them in italy.

Lancia lambda 8th series, Fulvia 1600 sport (1972)Fulvia1.6hf (1972), Lancia Flaminia gtl, Porsche boxter, Mini Cooper
St Volumex
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

Owner of RetroPart

« Reply #52 on: 27 September, 2012, 06:53:59 PM »

I heard the ones from Cavalitto are Euro 100.00 each?

Guy McDougall
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #53 on: 27 September, 2012, 09:12:01 PM »

As theres quite a bit of interest would you ask Cavalittos for a group discount?

P

Frank Gallagher
appiaman

« Reply #54 on: 28 September, 2012, 04:59:47 AM »

I will ask this morning. I had a quite from a guy local to me to make a small batch but the cost was about the same. You have to make more than 100 sets to pay for the tooling to make it wort while and even then he said it would be about £20 handle before chroming. Chroming is expensive too so I think the 100 euro  handle not to bad if you want the real thing. Unless someone wants to spend £5000 on making a load of handles and keep in there shed for the next ten years

Lancia lambda 8th series, Fulvia 1600 sport (1972)Fulvia1.6hf (1972), Lancia Flaminia gtl, Porsche boxter, Mini Cooper
St Volumex
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

Owner of RetroPart

« Reply #55 on: 28 September, 2012, 06:49:46 AM »

I am still prepared to make batches as small as 24 stainless steel handles at under £70 each.  Smiley

Guy McDougall
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #56 on: 29 September, 2012, 08:52:24 AM »

That's about 100 Euro...

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #57 on: 29 September, 2012, 08:56:48 AM »

That's door handles which can be substituted.  What I really need is window winder handles.

St Volumex
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

Owner of RetroPart

« Reply #58 on: 29 September, 2012, 10:31:06 AM »

£70 is only an estimate based on a very small production run, and at this stage on the LMC forum it seems we only have enough people interested in half of those.  Huh?

I'm prepared to make anything as long as it makes economic sense, and provided I can get a decent sample.

Guy McDougall
appiaman

« Reply #59 on: 02 October, 2012, 06:06:01 PM »

Hi guys did ask Cavallito is not willing to reduce price for handles.
I only need the door opening one's
christo

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd