Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 07:50:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aprilia inside door handles  (Read 31798 times)
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #15 on: 15 May, 2012, 09:12:41 PM »

I can post pictures in the next couple of days.

Regards the remanufacture, I would prefer bronze,chromed. However if this is prohibitive, I would be happy with alu.

Question - would alu be strong enough ? The handle is quite slender ...

Secondly, how would you propose remaking the splines? Re-using old ones or new fabrication ?

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
St Volumex
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

Owner of RetroPart

« Reply #16 on: 16 May, 2012, 03:47:03 AM »

I can post pictures in the next couple of days.

Regards the remanufacture, I would prefer bronze,chromed. However if this is prohibitive, I would be happy with alu.

Question - would alu be strong enough ? The handle is quite slender ...

Secondly, how would you propose remaking the splines? Re-using old ones or new fabrication ?

Thanks Simon, I'm looking forward to the photos.

A lot of Appia handles are made from aluminium, and I would prefer bronze too, but that process brings it's own peculiar challenges.  Grin

We'll worry about the finer detail once we are a bit further along in the project.

Thanks & regards,

Guy McDougall
www.facebook.com/RetroPart
Rare Parts for Rare Machines
Appia Coupé S3 (Rosina), Appia Berlina S3 (La Giaconda), Fulvia 1.3S 5 spd coupé (Tigger, belongs to Carol), Beta Spyder S2 (Vivaldi), Montecarlo Spyder S2, HPE VX (Pugsly) etc
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #17 on: 20 May, 2012, 08:42:16 PM »

Door handles have spline inserts in steel but the window winders do not so I think aluminium for those may not be strong enough.  I have some broken examples of both, would you like me to send them to you - they would do as a start for patterns?

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
St Volumex
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

Owner of RetroPart

« Reply #18 on: 21 May, 2012, 02:33:19 AM »

Door handles have spline inserts in steel but the window winders do not so I think aluminium for those may not be strong enough.  I have some broken examples of both, would you like me to send them to you - they would do as a start for patterns?

David W that's very kind of you, but I'll try and get some samples from my (one and only) local Aprilia man first thanks, but may take up your offer later.

I'm glad that the Project is eliciting some interest, judging from the number of Private mails I've received too.  Thank you everyone.

To answer the question which keeps popping up about aluminium being strong enough, here's a pic of some Appia handles which seem fine, as I don't have too many Appia owners asking for them - just yet.  Grin

Another suggestion is that we make them from stainless steel which will be very strong, and eliminate the need for chroming, if we were to use bronze.

* Appia door handles.jpg (31.92 KB, 410x307 - viewed 406 times.)
« Last Edit: 22 May, 2012, 02:12:42 AM by St Volumex » Logged

Guy McDougall
Appia Coupé S3 (Rosina), Appia Berlina S3 (La Giaconda), Fulvia 1.3S 5 spd coupé (Tigger, belongs to Carol), Beta Spyder S2 (Vivaldi), Montecarlo Spyder S2, HPE VX (Pugsly) etc
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #19 on: 21 May, 2012, 04:53:56 PM »

Been a bit pre-occupied with getting a Renault Rodeo back on the road in time for the sun (!)

I would be happy with stainless ......

I am not sure if the door lock latch is original - I think not, but the others are. The latch is also too short because it is a bit broken.

Look forward to your news
Simon

* DSCN0012.jpg (29.48 KB, 640x480 - viewed 392 times.)

* DSCN0016.jpg (30.87 KB, 640x480 - viewed 386 times.)

AmilcarCGS, ApriliaCabrio,S2Aprilia,Ardea c'cino,S4 Ardea, Appia c'cino, Appia f'cino,B20 s4,4 R4 Sinpar, R4 Rodeo, 65 Moke, 2xR60 Tractor, 2xToselli 78, Moto Guzzi Ercole, Disco 3, Mini ALL4 JCW, Moto Guzzi Cardellino, Fulvia GT, RE Himalayan, Ypsilon
Scarpia
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #20 on: 22 May, 2012, 06:35:06 AM »

the latch looks original, mine looked the same until the tabs broke off...
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #21 on: 22 May, 2012, 08:17:48 AM »

Latch is right, square shaft is 15mm long.  The screw is a bit special...

* P1040730.JPG (106.31 KB, 505x622 - viewed 415 times.)

* P1040731.JPG (110.89 KB, 621x556 - viewed 391 times.)

* P1040732.JPG (123.89 KB, 714x551 - viewed 400 times.)

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
simonandjuliet
Permanent resident

« Reply #22 on: 22 May, 2012, 05:20:16 PM »

This is the "rounder" version which I had on my first Aprilia

* DSCN0025.jpg (28.36 KB, 640x480 - viewed 401 times.)

* DSCN0026.jpg (26.09 KB, 640x480 - viewed 385 times.)

St Volumex
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

Owner of RetroPart

« Reply #23 on: 25 May, 2012, 06:44:38 AM »

Once again, thank you to everyone, but especially Simon and David W for the photos.

Just to let you know that things are moving along with the project, and I may be able to announce some indicative pricing next week.

However, I do not want to rush things, but rather do them thoroughly, so if anyone is really desperate for handles, I understand these are available elsewhere, but for a tidy sum.  Shocked

This Project is much bigger than the LMC, and at the moment I'm investigating other markets too, which will help bring the cost down.

I also believe that a poll wouldn't be a bad idea to get a better idea of exactly what Aprilia owners want.

Regards,
« Last Edit: 25 May, 2012, 06:49:32 AM by St Volumex » Logged

Guy McDougall
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #24 on: 30 May, 2012, 08:26:23 AM »

Mine are first series latches, are yours second?

lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #25 on: 12 June, 2012, 09:03:49 PM »

Have been watching this thread thinking should I be interested....

Anyway having broken a window winder I have decided to be.

The window winder is articulated and the main shaft in made of Mazak which shattered at the weakest part. Looking at my Aprilia I seem to have at least one inside door handle also made of Mazak and one chrome plated...

So I would prefer Chrome plated or polished Aluminium.

Tim

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
St Volumex
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

Owner of RetroPart

« Reply #26 on: 12 June, 2012, 09:35:43 PM »

Thanks for your vote Tim!

Guy McDougall
St Volumex
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

Owner of RetroPart

« Reply #27 on: 27 June, 2012, 07:44:41 PM »

A poll on a parallel thread has revealed as much as we can expect for the moment, so let's move right along: [I've posted this same message on that thread too.]

I'm a purist when it comes to authenticity, but also a realist that sees room for improvement, or we wouldn't be making new door handles in the first place!

I've spoken to my foundrymen over the past weeks, and while it is possible to make the handles in stainless steel, they would be more expensive as that would require a different furnace process.

With reasonable pricing in mind, my first vote would be for an original-style bronze handle, finished and chrome plated, yet better that the original, with the option of ordering it with, or without a new splined shaft.

Second choice is as above, but made in stainless steel.

I hope to report back next week with ballpark pricing on both these options which should narrow our choices down a bit more.

Regards,

Guy McDougall
apriliadriver
Lapsed

« Reply #28 on: 08 July, 2012, 08:11:00 AM »

For info : I had five new inside door handles made up in bronze by Harling Foundries, Hastings, in 2006 (01424 443160).

I made up a pattern using the only good handle I had left : the cost inc VAT was £158, so about £30 each.

I extracted the splined bobbins from the broken handles (by burning them out with a blowtorch after trying other methods) and got Harling to cast them into the new handles.

When finished I smoothed off the castings and had the handles chromed  -  I do not have the invoice but that would have been about £10 each. The result was completely satisfactory and now giving good service.

So  -   total cost per handle somewhere between £40 and £50. Harling were very hepful and very quick.

Nick S.
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #29 on: 12 July, 2012, 04:02:04 PM »

I have discovered that I have 4 examples of the 'rounder' latch as per Simon's post & photograph of May 22nd if these are of any interest to anyone.
2 of them are plated (which needs redoing).
The other 2 are aluminium and on these the square section is slightly tapered.
I also have 1 bolt and another aluminium latch which does not have the square section post however there is a square section hole through this latch. Is it designed to be the female version of one of the others?

Chris Gawne
Mobile: 07778 216552
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd