Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 09:09:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Chrysler Delta & Ypsilon- How are they doing?  (Read 6438 times)
Paul Greenway
Megaposter

« on: 28 January, 2012, 09:53:52 AM »

I cover over 25,000 (mostly motorway) miles a year yet (apart from dealer demos) have only seen one Chrysler Delta and no Ypsilons on the roads. It would appear that they are flopping, the Delta is now a four year old car and was possibly too late on these shores, but the Ypsilon surprises me as it is very fresh with super engines. Is it because the press/media have given it a hard time or because it is a Chrysler? I think the latter and Fiat Spa have made a tremendous boo boo.

I was in Turin last weekend and both cars were everywhere. Between South station and the airport I was bored on the bus and so decided to count Lancias and spyed 129 in total mostly made up of Ypsilons and Musas with a scattering of new Deltas & Ypsilons too.

Now I know Italians are patriotic but last year the Ypsilon was the 5th best selling car in Italy after the Punto, Panda, Fiesta and 500. Not bad considering for half the year it was made up only of the outgoing 3-dr car (still on sale until its replacement arrives) thats been around for over 8 years so I expect it to do even better next year.

Surely it cannot be a great car overseas and a poor car in Britain.

Incidentally the Delta was third best seller in its class after the Golf and Giulietta.

1972 Fulvia Sport 1600

Previous- 78 Montecarlo, 83 HPE VX, 88 integrale, 89 Delta GTie, 90 Y10GTie, 90 Dedra 2.0ieSE, 91 HF Turbo, 91 integrale 16v, 09 Thesis Centenario, 12 Delta 2.0M-J
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 28 January, 2012, 10:16:29 AM »

USA cars have never done well in the UK, for a whole host of reasons.

This acknowledged multi-manufacturer derived car is even more suspicious. Why the Italians buy it I've no idea , sems very odd

P

Frank Gallagher
peterbaker
Permanent resident

www.retro-speed.co.uk

« Reply #2 on: 28 January, 2012, 11:06:09 AM »

There are great deals available on the Ypsilon with twenty per cent discount or £159 deposit and the same a month over three years for the 1.2S. This puts a car on the road for £8495 although there are a whole host of pre reg cars  for two hundred pounds less. However, having now spent some time with one, and on balance, the car is dumpy with strange wheel arches that make its wheels look tiny, probably because it's a Fiat 500 chasisis, and that raised dash is disconcerting and gets worse every time you look at it. Yes it is is a Fiat, not a Chrysler but frankly, it's an old mans car. Why not buy
the Alfa Romeo Mito with 1.3 diesel, it looks sporty, goes reasonably well and is very economical. On the other hand, the Ypsilon, in 1.2 petrol form at least, needs all day to reach 60 mph and would be an embarrassment to any Lancia driver. Re the Delta, I think it looks a better car than it did at launch. And I have seen an ex demo car for sale at £11,999 which sounds about right, search google for bargains.

1961 Lancia Flavia 1.5 Berlina. FIAT Abarth. 1954 Daimler Conquest. 2003 MG ZT-T 135. 1998 SAAB 9-5 3 litre turbo.
SteveGales
Megaposter

« Reply #3 on: 28 January, 2012, 07:09:11 PM »

I agree Paul , Fiat picked the wrong brand.

Here in Solihull / B'ham I've yet to see either ( although Emma has seen a couple of Ypsilon) and for a city this size
it would seem to suggest they've bombed.

Steve
SanRemo78
Rebel Poster

« Reply #4 on: 28 January, 2012, 09:44:15 PM »

Haven't seen a Delta yet but I have spotted two different (non dealer demo) Ypsilons in Liverpool.

I'll be keeping the 08 Punto Sporting for a while yet.

Guy
coltom

« Reply #5 on: 30 January, 2012, 03:22:37 PM »

Delta gets OK review and 3 stars in the Autocar 90sec video review....

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-video/chrysler-delta-video-review-90sec-verdict/
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 30 January, 2012, 07:37:37 PM »

Just returned from south of France (yes it was as cold there as blighty) but they love the Yipsilon and Musa spotting them regularly. The New Lancia Dealer (Alfa and Mitsubushi) has had a new shop front with Lancia, Alfa, and JEEP brands while still sporting the Mitsu brand. Cant say I have seen more than a handful of Delta's but the local rag reviewed the (Chrysler) Voyager, and was (I think my French was good enough) to say favourable things about it.

BTW does Fiat own Mitsbushi??? I haven't visited the Dealer as its not in the Centre of Town unlike Fiat!!!

Tim

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
toby2449
« Reply #7 on: 31 January, 2012, 10:09:19 PM »

I've yet to see either a Ypsilon or Delta. I notice that the few dealers there are here in Ireland aren't even registering them as dealer demos to sell on, that way they don't incur any costs until sold. Mind you they're not helped by the fact the Irish Chrysler site is rubbish & offers practically no info, plus from what i've seen the link between dealer websites & Chrysler's site kicks back to the old site!

Oh & to answer your question Tim, no, Fiat has no connection with Mitsubishi. I could be wrong but it think Mitsubishi is totally independent.
ncundy
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #8 on: 31 January, 2012, 10:17:39 PM »

Mitsubishi used to be part of Daimler Chrysler (through I think a previous relationship with Chrysler), the CEO of the company I worked for, also part of DC, went to run them having to sort out their warranty scam. I think after DC broke up they were bought by some venture capitalists, but I guess maintain some kind of technology share and outlet share with Chrysler?

1969 Fanalone, Mazda RX-8, Fiat Multipla
neil-yaj396
Committee
Permanent resident

« Reply #9 on: 01 February, 2012, 07:07:41 AM »

Saw a bronze Delta on the road yesterday but they have disappeared from the dealer I often pass. Just the odd Ypsilon on the forecourt now.

1979 1300 Beta Coupe, 2014 Ypsilon 1.2 S Series Momo
HF_Dave
Megaposter

Rust , What Rust !! I don't See any rust !!!

« Reply #10 on: 08 February, 2012, 07:32:24 PM »

I saw a new Ypsilon (chrysler) on the road yesterday , it's the first one of both models I have seen as in Delta and Ypsilon. I think it looks a bit dumpy ! or squashed up , standing high on it's wheels and looking like nothing else on the road. I had a test drive in the new Delta (Chrysler) and I think it's very nice, The 1.6 Diesel drove very well and I think it looks very well considering it is a four year old design. We have a fiat Croma at home for the school run and shopping ect, it drives like a Vauxhall Vectra (which it is) and after driving the Delta I realise how bad the Croma is. I reckon i will buy a Delta in a couple of years to replace the Croma, stick a few Lancia badges on it and be very happy.  Cheesy. As the Croma is a mix of Gm and Fiat parts I think The delta is genetically more lancia than Chrysler Smiley I woulden't feel bad about that.
« Last Edit: 08 February, 2012, 07:45:23 PM by HF_Dave » Logged

My Current Cars:

1991 Thema station wagon
1989 Thema 16v
2011 Lancia Delta 3

1977 Beta sedan 2000
1975 Fulvia S3 1.3
1973 Flavia HF 2000 Coupe
1972 Fulvia S2 1.3
1989 Thema 8.32
**Other Makes**
2018 Alfa Giulia