Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 11:33:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: brake bleeding from scratch  (Read 20562 times)
nistri
Megaposter

« Reply #30 on: 07 March, 2012, 08:01:01 AM »

I guess you have an S2 Fulvia (with 21 mm master cylinder and Girling calipers). Double check the brake pipe connections as I recall that there was even a mistake in one of the official Lancia instructions. From memory I  cannot now tell you the correct fitting, though (sorry).

I also assume you have raised the car (at the back) by fitting axle stands under the rear axle: this allows full opening of the brake limiter valve, otherwise it will not be possible to bleed the system fully.

The length of the servo pushrod is critical for correct operation of the brakes. Did you measure up how much it is on your car?

Difficult bleeding can be greatly helped by using the pressurized system (EezyBleed) with the aid of the spare wheel pressure.

I also guess you have used the correct bleeding sequence starting with the front top nipple of the passenger side.

Good luck, Andrea 

Andrea Nistri

Ardea S2
Appia S2
Fulvia GTE
Fulvia Sport 1.3 S
Fulvia Montecarlo
Fulvia Coupe 1.3 S
ncundy
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #31 on: 07 March, 2012, 08:06:52 AM »

Why would putting axles stands under the rear axle help? Surely you have to jack the body up off the axle as it's the relative height difference between the body and the axle that opens the limiting valve  Huh?

1969 Fanalone, Mazda RX-8, Fiat Multipla
mister bridger
Lapsed

« Reply #32 on: 07 March, 2012, 08:22:28 AM »

Have to agree with ncundy there, though as I'm getting fluid to the back brakes it's probably not part of the problem. I've tried bleeding in every sequence I can think of. What is the accepted "correct" sequence? Brakes are plumbed as per the diagram on p29 of the concise repair shop manual.
chugga boom
Non-LMC Seller
Permanent resident

« Reply #33 on: 07 March, 2012, 08:32:32 AM »

just a thought for you, on my augusta there is pitting right at the end of the master cylinder, when bleading the brakes the seals travel futher than normal travelling accross the pitting and allowing air into the system, to get around this i mearly cracked one blead nipple at a time and let gravity take over , didnt pump the brake pedal at all just let the fluid run through, takes longer but ended up with a solid pedal, with the system blead the seals go no where near the pitting in the master cylinder so is perfectly safe, may be worth a try, i always bleed brakes this way now, when i did the fulvia last week i disconected the load valve lever off the rear axle and pushed it all the way up to give maximum fluid flow, then disconected the brake pipe where it goes onto the n/s rear caliper until fluid came through, reconected pipe then blead caliper, did the same on o/s rear then went to n/s front and just used the bleed nipples then finally os front, whole job took about an hr but pedal was solid 1st time, hope this works for you, james

1935 augusta lusso (chugga)
1935 belna saloon
1935 augusta lusso
1938 ardenne
1939 aprilia lusso
1958 appia s2
1963 appia s3 
195? appia camioncino
1972 fulvia 1600HF
1976 fulvia coupe
194? ardea SUV  "THE BEAST!!!"
nistri
Megaposter

« Reply #34 on: 07 March, 2012, 10:50:31 AM »

Jacking up the rear axle pushes the arm of the brake limiter valve that in turn pushes the valve arm inside its housing and opens full flow of brake fluid to the rear brakes, ciao,  Andrea

Andrea Nistri

Ardea S2
Appia S2
Fulvia GTE
Fulvia Sport 1.3 S
Fulvia Montecarlo
Fulvia Coupe 1.3 S
nistri
Megaposter

« Reply #35 on: 07 March, 2012, 10:58:21 AM »

Front of the car

Master cylinder (LHD)

Steering wheel (left)

Nipple sequence:
2 (top front)         1 (top front)

4(bottom)            3 (bottom)

6 (rear)               5 (rear)

This is the bleeding sequence recommended by Lancia. For RHD cars just swap sides.
Good luck, Andrea

Andrea Nistri

Ardea S2
Appia S2
Fulvia GTE
Fulvia Sport 1.3 S
Fulvia Montecarlo
Fulvia Coupe 1.3 S
stanley sweet
Lapsed
Permanent resident

« Reply #36 on: 07 March, 2012, 04:49:14 PM »

That's exactly how I did mine recently - tops, bottoms, rears with axle on jack - worked perfectly first time. However...........that was after a lot of messing about which sounds very similar to the original problem here. Press the brake pedal and the fuid would bubble in the reservoir. Cylinder rebuilt a couple of times to make sure parts were correct but it turned out to be pitting which I hadn't noticed. Had it refurbished at Omicron and that was the problem solved.

1971 Fulvia 1.3S 'Leggera'  1999 Lancia Lybra 1.9JTD LX SW
ncundy
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #37 on: 08 March, 2012, 09:52:55 AM »

Jacking up the rear axle pushes the arm of the brake limiter valve that in turn pushes the valve arm inside its housing and opens full flow of brake fluid to the rear brakes, ciao,  Andrea

You're correct of course, I need to get into the garage more Smiley

1969 Fanalone, Mazda RX-8, Fiat Multipla
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd