Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 12:58:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aurelia find - a perfect day?  (Read 12098 times)
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« on: 07 January, 2012, 09:07:41 AM »

During 35 + years of Aurelia ownership, I have accumulated many spares (and bits of spares) throughout this period. Yesterday I thought I would go through several boxes of front sidelights and rear lights to see what I had for the 4th series project I bought earlier this summer. I dont like the reproduction lights sold these days because the quality is poor and so I will do all I can to use original fittings which means I never thow anything away.
In particular I wondered if I had enough of a 4th Series B20 reversing light (only fitted to 4th and I think 5th Series B20?) to be able to make a useable unit. I have never ever seen one of thses for sale anywhere neither have I seen them fitted to other cars. They are a central red light unit with a glass lens with a chrome hooded cowl fitted below the bumper which seems to get flattened by impact with other cars bumpers.
In my search I found I had 14 good or new rear light lenses for B24 Convertible/Spider (why?) but none for B20 3rd to 6th series (again why not?) but more importantly just before lunch I found 2 rechromed reversing light outer fittings with 1 filthy red glass and enough of the internals to make 1 complete reversing light. Joy! and I was sufficiently impressed with myself to show Jacky who made all the right noises.
I carried on sorting through boxes of bits and pieces during the afternoon only to find at the very bottom of a box of B20 spotlight bits very late on another red reversing light glass in perfect condition!  So I effectivly now have the makings of 2 complete units.
What a perfect day.....and what a justification for not throwing anything remotefully useful away.

Chris Gawne
Mobile: 07778 216552
williamcorke
Rebel Poster

B10

« Reply #1 on: 07 January, 2012, 11:28:18 AM »

Lovely story and I totally agree about both the importance of hording and the poor quality of repro' lights. Ron Francis found me a restorable reversing light for my SIV project last year, so I guess they are around if you ask.  Worked for me anyway!

Are you going to be working on your new project in the UK or Italy?  I'd like to pick your brains on sources of 'correct' trim screws and cup washers if possible.

Best regards,
William

'37 Aprilia
'50 B10
'53 B20
'68 Flavia Vignale
'55 Giulietta Sprint
S1 Land Rover
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 22 April, 2014, 04:53:31 PM »

William,
I have just ordered some self tappers and cup washers from an Italian who assures me they are 'as original'. If they are any good I will forward you his contact details.
Also I have today found another reversing light surround in unflattened condition - ie the right shape - but it needs re-chroming.
Chris

Chris Gawne
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 22 April, 2014, 05:06:47 PM »

Excellent Chris...despite the bad press psychotic types get for keeping all of the last 25yrs editions of every national title.....every tax payer of a Lancia bent has the right to hoard all and sundry!!!!

Am even building up a hoard of types myself

P

PS Anything B12 turn up in your spring clean?

Frank Gallagher
williamcorke
Rebel Poster

B10

« Reply #4 on: 23 April, 2014, 10:11:24 AM »

William,
I have just ordered some self tappers and cup washers from an Italian who assures me they are 'as original'. If they are any good I will forward you his contact details.
Also I have today found another reversing light surround in unflattened condition - ie the right shape - but it needs re-chroming.
Chris

Thanks Chris,

Do please let me know if the self tappers and washers are correct. According to the B10 tavola I have, some should be nickel plated and others chromed.

I might be bothering you for reversing light help, as the bits that Ron supplied are not (from memory) entirely complete...

Best,
William

'37 Aprilia
'50 B10
'53 B20
'68 Flavia Vignale
'55 Giulietta Sprint
S1 Land Rover
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 23 April, 2014, 11:23:00 AM »

Frank,
Ref B12 specific parts, I still have a pair of inlet manifolds and a cylinder head in good condition, not to mention the other generic Aurelia parts we corresponded on last year.

And William,
The screws and cup washers turned up today from Vintage Italian Car  - Giovanni Mungo in Itlay. He advertises on ebay.it . Are you at the Aurelia lunch on Sunday? I will bring an example of each with me.
Chris

Chris Gawne
williamcorke
Rebel Poster

B10

« Reply #6 on: 23 April, 2014, 02:05:37 PM »

And William,
The screws and cup washers turned up today from Vintage Italian Car  - Giovanni Mungo in Itlay. He advertises on ebay.it . Are you at the Aurelia lunch on Sunday? I will bring an example of each with me.
Chris

Sadly (and yet again) I can't be at the Aurelia lunch. Are you happy with the screws/washers?

William

'37 Aprilia
'50 B10
'53 B20
'68 Flavia Vignale
'55 Giulietta Sprint
S1 Land Rover
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 23 April, 2014, 04:24:39 PM »

Thanks Chris...just checking in case you'd unearthed any more gems.

P

Frank Gallagher
GreenB20

« Reply #8 on: 25 April, 2014, 09:20:59 AM »

Hi Chris, I need a pair of fog lamp glasses for my 4th series if you have any spare. Just the glasses - my original ones fell off the shelf onto a concrete floor. Ouch! Ed

Aurelia B20 GT 4th Series (1954)
Fulvia 1.3S Rallye Coupe (1970)
Ferguson TEF20 (1956)
Ferrari 550 Maranello (1998)
Brian Long

Aurelia B12, Flavia 2000 Coupe

« Reply #9 on: 25 April, 2014, 11:51:56 AM »

The B12 had the single reversing light beneath the bumper bar.
And I have a habit of keeping all old parts, never know when they will come in useful.
Regards.
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #10 on: 14 September, 2016, 10:13:51 AM »

In the same vein as my first post, I have been looking again at my bits and pieces for Aurelia reversing lights as fitted to 4th Series B20 (and later?) and B12s.
Whilst these lights sit below the rear bumper they are quite exposed to contact with other cars with a lower front bumper and consequently they get hit breaking the red glass and flattening the external chrome fitting. I have never seen a complete one for sale in over 40 years and as they were only used for some Aurelias and Alfa Romeo Giulietta 750's I cant see them being remade.
I find I now have a couple of useful small parts for disposal as well as a 1950's complete working LABINAL light with red lens which looks similar at a glance. These were fitted to Stanguellini, SIATA and other barchettas in period and I bought it way back when I was despairing of ever getting the correct Carello light.
Its listed on ebay under LABINAL light and I have attached a photo. The o/d is 55mm whereas the correct Carello 18.700.000 light is 60mm but its an easy substitution.
I also have a correct Carello rim undamaged and with perfect shape with clear stamping which needs replating and also a replated Carello rim which is the correct size etc but which does not have the 'hood' over the upper part of the lens. This rim would of course still work with the correct lens or alternatively a flat red lens (as the LABINAL light) and the makers stamps are clear having not been polished out during the replating process. The rest of this light which sits behind the lens and rim is very similar to B20 front sidelights including the rubber boot. Any interest please drop me an email.
At this stage I do not have any complete correct Carello reversing lights available but this might change so again if you are really stuck drop me a line.
Chris

* IMG_20160913_1822528_rewind.jpg (51.92 KB, 576x768 - viewed 883 times.)

* IMG_20160914_1100003_rewind.jpg (892.21 KB, 1560x2080 - viewed 355 times.)

* IMG_20160914_1100513_rewind.jpg (926 KB, 2080x1560 - viewed 359 times.)

Chris Gawne
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #11 on: 26 September, 2016, 12:25:22 PM »

Thanks for that insight Chris, very useful, there is another box of "bits" which came with the B12, must have a rummage!

P

Frank Gallagher
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #12 on: 26 September, 2016, 05:15:06 PM »

The lovely LABINAL light is now sold.
Unless there is any interest I will probably take the two Carello rims to the Padova Autojumble next month and pass them on to an ' Italian car light trader'.
Chris

Chris Gawne
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #13 on: 28 September, 2016, 10:14:03 AM »

The two Carello rims in the earlier photos are now sold.
Chris

Chris Gawne
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #14 on: 26 November, 2016, 06:19:29 PM »

Thanks for that insight Chris, very useful, there is another box of "bits" which came with the B12, must have a rummage!

P

Oh, dear, my assortment of lights didn't have any Carello or Labinal markings on them plus only two are glass, are there any markings on the red glass part, will send a pic or two if you wish to rule in/out, cheers

P

Frank Gallagher
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd