Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
25 April, 2024, 09:33:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: back to work on Dedra....finally!  (Read 10408 times)
toby2449
« on: 30 December, 2011, 02:22:41 PM »

Well sadly the poor old Dedra hasn't had alot done to it for a fair few months, money was tight since my wife lost her job, but things have improved, so back under the Dedra i go  Grin

Quick question, (hope i describe this correctly) the metal strip that runs under the front windscreen on my Dedra is rotten in places,i'm guessing where water has collected coming off the windscreen, does anyone know is this part just bolted to the car, or is it welded on?? Ideally i'd like to replace it if i can find another one in a breakers yard, or on the net, but if its welded on i might look into repairing it.

Also, i know i asked this question before, but it was a long time ago & i can't find the answer, when the car is running engine oil seems to be coming up through where the spark plugs sit (i can almost see it bubble!), anyone any ideas on what might be the problem?

cheers guys!
toby2449
« Reply #1 on: 30 December, 2011, 04:05:55 PM »

One other thing, the Dedra is due a new timing belt kit, now although i know my way around an engine, i've never fitted new belts etc. before, is this a job an amature grease monkey like myself could attempt? Is there a guide to fitting new kits?
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 31 December, 2011, 02:21:55 AM »

Mark,
Pleased to hear your back on course, not too many Dedras out there these days, so it would be sad to lose another one.
I'm not sure which metal strip you refer to, do you mean the chrome trim surround, if so that's replacable,  if it's painted metal I think you'll find that's part of the windsceen aperture that's a welded panel. if you take off the two plastic panels that the wiper arm bosses pass through you'll be able to see better.
Plug bubbling,-  first thing is to check the tightness of the plug, if that doesn't stop it try a new copper sealing washer, shouldn't think it will be more than that unless you're very unlucky.
Belts, I would suggest you don't try to do it yourself unless you know what you are doing, and I wouldn't just let any old garage do it either, you need someone who knows Lancia/Fiat twin cams, as you either need the special tool or someone who knows how to make one to hold the cambelt wheels.
Don't forget to change ALL the belts at the same time as it saves you having to pull the whole lot apart again later, but most important change the idler bearings (3) as well, particularly if it's been standing a while as they are prone to failure and if one siezes it will snap a belt or two, valves then touch the pistons and you've more than likely got a scrap engine.
Don't mean to put the mockers on things but it can be that serious.
I can let you have copies by email of how to, but as I said you're better off getting someone who knows what they are doing, the cambelt and the counter balancer belt need tensioning correctly, an overtight belt will whine and possibly fail fairly quickly.

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
toby2449
« Reply #3 on: 31 December, 2011, 09:30:57 AM »

hey ya Brian. Cheers for the reply. Its the painted metal strip under the windscreen. I've taken off the black plastic panels (at the wiper arm) & parts of the strip are badly rusted, maybe be better repairing it by welding?

I'll try the plug tightness etc, oh & i think you're right, might (when the time comes) run the car down to my local garage & get them to fit the new belts etc...I've given it some thought & although i might save a few bob initially if I get it wrong it could end in tears!

As ever Brian, thank you!
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 31 December, 2011, 10:09:13 AM »

hey ya Brian. Cheers for the reply. Its the painted metal strip under the windscreen. I've taken off the black plastic panels (at the wiper arm) & parts of the strip are badly rusted, maybe be better repairing it by welding?

I'll try the plug tightness etc, oh & i think you're right, might (when the time comes) run the car down to my local garage & get them to fit the new belts etc...I've given it some thought & although i might save a few bob initially if I get it wrong it could end in tears!

As ever Brian, thank you!
Mark,
Welding is probably the best way but the problem will be access from underneath, weldings not one of my skills, although I wish it was, so I'd get a bit of advice if I was you.
If you want the 'How to' for your garage let me know & I can send them.
Good luck,
And a Happy New Year
Brian
8227 Cool

Dedra Technical Adviser
toby2449
« Reply #5 on: 31 December, 2011, 10:55:51 PM »

Brian, if i could get a "How To" that would be a huge help!
Happy New Year to you too.
toby2449
« Reply #6 on: 01 January, 2012, 09:51:00 AM »

cheer Brian, got the e-mails this morning.

Its certainly guys like you who make owners clubs what they are. Thanks again!
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 01 January, 2012, 10:30:05 AM »

cheer Brian, got the e-mails this morning.

Its certainly guys like you who make owners clubs what they are. Thanks again!

My Pleasure Grin

Brian
8227 Cool

Dedra Technical Adviser
HF_Dave
Megaposter

Rust , What Rust !! I don't See any rust !!!

« Reply #8 on: 01 January, 2012, 06:20:57 PM »

Hi Mark, I have the tensioner tool for the timing belt but I don't have the part for the ballance shaft tensioner. I find when they are set to the factory tensions the tend to whine . I tensioned the belts on my Thema 16v myself and there has been no problems. Mark everything up with tippex and then let the belts off . re-fit the new belts to the same tension and it should be ok. The job takes around three hours with a tea break. I know I make this this sound easy but with the manual and everything set to the marks it's not difficult. Thanks David. Smiley

My Current Cars:

1991 Thema station wagon
1989 Thema 16v
2011 Lancia Delta 3

1977 Beta sedan 2000
1975 Fulvia S3 1.3
1973 Flavia HF 2000 Coupe
1972 Fulvia S2 1.3
1989 Thema 8.32
**Other Makes**
2018 Alfa Giulia
1999 Alfa 156
2009 Fiat Du
toby2449
« Reply #9 on: 02 January, 2012, 06:19:11 PM »

Hi Dave, cheers for the reply. I've had a proper look through the pages Brian e-mailed to me concerning the belt change etc... & i think i'll leave it to someone with better knowledge of this sorta thing, as the more i read the more worried i get about it all going pear shaped!!!  Grin
toby2449
« Reply #10 on: 14 January, 2012, 07:49:47 PM »

ok, bit of an issue. last week i started the Dedra & it started, not first time but eventually it did, today-refuses to start, it'll make all the right noises but the engine just won't kick in. A couple of times it would burst into life but then after a couple of lumpy seconds it'd die. Any ideas?

I also have a very bad feeling about the engine oil being in where the spark plugs sit (in three of the four plugs)
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #11 on: 15 January, 2012, 02:32:10 AM »

ok, bit of an issue. last week i started the Dedra & it started, not first time but eventually it did, today-refuses to start, it'll make all the right noises but the engine just won't kick in. A couple of times it would burst into life but then after a couple of lumpy seconds it'd die. Any ideas?

I also have a very bad feeling about the engine oil being in where the spark plugs sit (in three of the four plugs)

Mark,
If there's still oil in the plug wells that certainly won't help.
Are you sure the two cam cover gaskets are not leaking as that's the usual source, or over spill from the filler cap area.
Brian
8227 Cool

Dedra Technical Adviser
toby2449
« Reply #12 on: 15 January, 2012, 09:44:24 AM »

hi brian, the two cam cover could have perished alright, they're probably as old as the car!! Right, gotta get me two new ones then. I'll take out the plugs & give them a good clean, the plugs themselves i don't think are that old!
neil-yaj396
Committee
Permanent resident

« Reply #13 on: 16 January, 2012, 07:00:06 AM »

The gaskets at the bottom of the cam boxes were the culprits when the plug wells on my engine where filling up with oil.

1979 1300 Beta Coupe, 2014 Ypsilon 1.2 S Series Momo
toby2449
« Reply #14 on: 16 January, 2012, 10:20:31 AM »

i've ordered new cam cover gaskets to see if this is where the leak is coming from, plus new plugs as the old ones where soaked in oil, & a new set of HT leads as the ends of these were sitting in oil & i'd noticed someone had done a very poor repair job to one of them as it had split, hopefully after the new parts are fitted the leak will stop & she will burst into life!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd