Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
12 August, 2022, 11:18:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail, for Database Administrator e-mail      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail      -      To Join the club go to
   Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Importing Cars more than 10 yrs old  (Read 2182 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Angle Grinder
Posts: 420

« on: 29 November, 2011, 08:46:07 PM »

Does anyone know from recent experience what the current UK legislation and costs are relating to the registering of an EU imported car that is more than 10 yrs old. An 11yr old Kappa!

I've tried wading through the DVLA website, but there seems to be a mix of old and new regulations and I'm a bit puzzled.  Huh?

Is it just a case of getting through an MoT and providing the EU registration documents?

How tough are they on KM Speedos and LHD lamps?

Current Cars: 1994 2.0 VIS Thema Station Wagon, 1967 Flavia 1.8 PF Coupe.

Previous cars:
1983 Prisma 1600
1991 Thema 16v i.e. SE
1988 Thema 8v Turbo
1992 Thema 16v i.e.
1983 Gamma Coupe (manual)
1993 Thema VIS
1994 Thema VIS LE
1990 Thema 2.8
Permanent resident
Posts: 6062

« Reply #1 on: 30 November, 2011, 08:49:06 AM »

 it's some years since I looked at this but I understand that the rules have been toughened up considerably, the speedo isn't insurmountable as you can always have an overelay made, or if worst comes to worst fit an extra digital one, usually available from Companies like Demon Tweeks, but the headlights are a different matter and I think that's definitely a one off solution as you're not allowed to use beam benders on the outside as a permanent fix, years ago Alan Cooper cut slots in the underside of his headlamps on his Delta HPE Turbo and fitted beam benders on the inside in the correct place, but I don't know if you'd get away with that now.

8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
« Reply #2 on: 04 December, 2011, 09:55:05 AM »

I used to bring integrales in from Italy in the early to mid '90s, it was more difficult to get them out of Italy than to register them over here although it was a different procedure each time, the main things to do are fill in the vat 414 form, mot the car inculuding putting a sticker over the speedo in mph and swap the rear fog light to the opposite side, then go down to your LVLO with all the relevant import papers and apply for tax, i'm sure it will have changed but like I said, it was more of a pain doing the paperwork in Italy and I have family there that understand what to do!
To get the car out you had to put it on temporary export plates and give the exact route you were driving out of the country, if you dared to deviate from it and got caught they would confiscate the car from you at the roadside!
I once got stopped at about 11.30 at night approaching the alps, i had a 'grale full of spares that it came with including a spare set of seats, they were telling me that my paperwork was incorrect (I had been over there two weeks sorting it) so we got into a heated disscusion which ended by them making me empty the car of all the spares so they could look inside then they drove off laughing leaving me with i pile of bits to put back which took me about an hour.
I would do it again if I had to though.
Good Luck! Wink
Permanent resident
Posts: 6062

« Reply #3 on: 04 December, 2011, 11:42:08 AM »

To get the car out you had to put it on temporary export plates and give the exact route you were driving out of the country.Qoute.

Same rules applied when I brought my new Y elefantino home from Rotterdam, I had to declare the route to Calais and fit the temporary number plates. which I still have them tucked away somewhere.

8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
Posts: 84

« Reply #4 on: 06 December, 2011, 07:20:31 PM »

In 2005 I brought in a Kappa SW from Germany, at the tim it was eight years old, and required a certificate from the VCA in Bristol. At that time the requirements were not so strict. A letter from a friendly garage that the lights dipped to the left, and the speedo .was in mph  A full report on this is in the September 2005 edition of VL. We did in fact use beam benders and a digital device for a speedo.

When it came to importing my new Lancia Delta in 2009. Left hand dipping headlamps and rear fog lights were available, and the speedeo was modified by Stuart Wilson. the requirements by the VCA were much more stringent.  They required VAT receipts for the parts and work done, and a declaration of conformity by the VAT registered garage.

It is my understanding, that vehicles over ten years old do not require the VCA certificate, just an MOT. I enquired today of an MOT testing person.I was informed that beam benders were OK if they lined up with the beam setter, they had no interest in the speedo. The Kappa already has two rear fog lamps. I brought my cars in from Germany. The dealer can organise a temporary insurance and export plate, cost about 200 euros, and lasts for 15 days. It is advisable to get the vehicle UK insured with the chassis number as soon as you arrive in UK.

I was very fond of my Kappa SW, and I intend to get another one next year. At the moment there are only 18 for sale in Germany, only half of them worth looking at.  I hope all this helps, and if I can be of any further help, please be in touch.

Donald J Smith   

Nuova Delta
Kappa Coupe 2.4 20V
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd

Powered by SMF 1.1.20 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines
Page created in 0.034 seconds with 20 queries.