Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
18 April, 2024, 11:48:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lightened flywheel  (Read 3510 times)
rodney3010
Lapsed

« on: 25 November, 2011, 09:07:21 PM »

Whilst trawling the net I've come across an advert for the above. I can accept the weight saving but am unsure of the other benefits. Can anyone help out? Why bother (bearing in mind the price tag of £330ish)?
Rodders
Jai Sharma
Megaposter

« Reply #1 on: 25 November, 2011, 10:07:30 PM »

No Link that I can see, but generally it is not so much the reduction in overall car weight as the reduction in fast moving mass that is the main benefit. In other words you have to speed up the flywheel to (say) 6000 rpm and then do it all over again in the next gear.

So the lighter it is the easier it is.
nistri
Megaposter

« Reply #2 on: 28 November, 2011, 07:51:00 AM »

Idling can become lumpy with a lightened flywheel, Andrea

Andrea Nistri

Ardea S2
Appia S2
Fulvia GTE
Fulvia Sport 1.3 S
Fulvia Montecarlo
Fulvia Coupe 1.3 S
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 28 November, 2011, 10:04:43 AM »

Blips the revs up quicker for downshifts. 

When given a prod warming up it goes "wah wah" rather than "veeeerrrrroooom  verrrroooom".

"Lumpy idle" often then means you then need a much faster idle.  If you sit in traffic a lot then that's tedious.

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
ColinMarr
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 28 November, 2011, 12:55:07 PM »

With an Aurelia, which has a remote clutch in the transaxle (and Flaminia too), the flywheel can be lightened by drilling holes in it – see photo below. And with six cylinders to smooth it out, the tick-over was fine.

Colin

* Aurelia parts 88.jpg (309.79 KB, 1809x1274 - viewed 424 times.)
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 04 December, 2011, 02:32:50 PM »

Balance in narrow V4s is tricky and may be upset by changing the mass of the flywheel.   I don't know about the Fulvia but earlier V4 engine flywheels were individually balanced with their cranks.   I doubt if it is worth it unless you are going onto the track.

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd