Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
26 April, 2024, 02:33:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fulvia 2C for 2013?  (Read 61113 times)
LanciAlan
Megaposter

« Reply #60 on: 17 November, 2011, 04:48:13 PM »

I live in a place where winter is very cold; today there was already strong frost outside home) and I never had any problem with warming up or running a Fulvia. It is however very important to fit a grille muffler to reach 70 degree with the coolant temp. Andrea

"grille muffler" =  "bra" in Dutch (apparently).

As mentioned (and pictured) previously, I keep mine in the boot in case I encounter any unexpected peaks at altitude ... though it is, I must admit, unlikely in these parts
« Last Edit: 20 November, 2011, 04:01:14 PM by LanciAlan » Logged

Alan Murphy

Lancias that begin with "F" ... and affordable variants beginning with "Z" and "P" ..... and now with added "Y"!
LanciAlan
Megaposter

« Reply #61 on: 13 January, 2012, 01:18:42 AM »

Bill Lewis says he has finished making the panels for the 2C so I am to go and retrieve the shell from him and drop off the doors as I think they may need some re-skinning too.

Next on the agenda is to find someone in the UK who can competently fit the panels Bill has made and who can also make up the simpler hidden flat sections of the inner chassis structure that have corroded. And ideally paint it too.

Or maybe I should just buy this one for €4500 ... one owner, 60k

Enjoy this and other interesting Lancias and other classics at www.matulliauto.com

« Last Edit: 13 January, 2012, 01:21:04 AM by LanciAlan » Logged

Alan Murphy

Lancias that begin with "F" ... and affordable variants beginning with "Z" and "P" ..... and now with added "Y"!
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #62 on: 13 January, 2012, 01:24:33 AM »

Bill Lewis says he has finished making the panels for the 2C so I am to go and retrieve the shell from him and drop off the doors as I think they may need some re-skinning too.

Next on the agenda is to find someone in the UK who can competently fit the panels Bill has made and who can also make up the simpler hidden flat sections of the inner chassis structure that have corroded. And ideally paint it too.

Or maybe I should just buy this one for €4500 ...

Pleased to hear Bills finished your panels, but I'd be interested to know how you get on with reskinning the doors.
It Looks nice pity it's a left hooker, although there are plenty of LHD's to choose from, OPD being RHD is rarer and it would be a shame not to restore her after all the work you've put in so far.

Brian

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
LanciAlan
Megaposter

« Reply #63 on: 13 January, 2012, 01:40:55 AM »

pity it's a left hooker, although there are plenty of LHD's to choose from, OPD being RHD is rarer and it would be a shame not to restore her after all the work you've put in so far.

Brian

With the work I have ahead of me on mine I can assure you that converting this one from LHD to RHD would be a walk in the park!

I am thinking I should really seek out a parts car in case I need anything in a hurry during the rebuild. Like the dash bits for example. Apart from those you have already identified earlier in this thread, there must be a few derelict 2Cs lying around in hedges and sheds....

I'll keep you posted on the door panels

Alan Murphy

LanciAlan
Megaposter

« Reply #64 on: 10 March, 2012, 03:30:46 PM »

Update on developments with my 2C following a modest 700 mile UK Lancia roadtrip last weekend in the company of David Mirolo, Lancia Ireland Club Presidente.....

First we called on Bill Lewis in Staffordshire to collect some beautifully handcrafted Fulvia floorpans for a Fanalone replica project that is also in progress "towards 2013" here  in Ireland. We left him the RHS doors of the 2C both as a token of our appreciation and for fabrication of a few sections.

Bill also presented us with our Fulvia Pedal/Car awards for outstanding acts of Lancia madness.

Then we dropped the better LHS doors to join the car which is now with a restorer nearby. The doors are needed to align the various wing and sill sections made by Bill and now being fitted to the car along with a rear valance which caused him particular grief as the side of the valance he chose to use as a template was full of fillers and found not to match when he worked his way to the other side:

The corroded sills and arches have been cut away to reveal the inner panels which the intrepid restorer says are not the worst he has seen.

The new wing/arch sections and valance have been offered up to the cut away sections - probably in anticipation of our visit but nonetheless presenting a very effective "wow" factor on entering the workshop!

In the following pictures you can see the new sills made by Bill, firstly in 3 separate sections (inner, outer and strengthening middle section) standing on end beside another sill assembled as a composite box section and secondly being offered up to the car, well, ok, being held near to the car.

The car is on a tilting frame but still attached to my wooden dolly. It will be moved to a bespoke Fulvia jig made of a subframe and steel joists to ensure it remains aligned during assembly of the shell repair panels.

While there, we took the opportunity to finish dismantling the heater blower, wiper motor and wiring loom complete with fusebox as I had timed out on these final jobs in the scramble to transport the car to the UK last November.

Then we pressed on southwards to the scene of a previous Lancia encounter in the Forest of Dean .... http://www.lancia.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4502.0
« Last Edit: 20 July, 2012, 06:55:19 AM by LanciAlan » Logged

Alan Murphy

peterbaker
Permanent resident

www.retro-speed.co.uk

« Reply #65 on: 11 March, 2012, 08:38:29 PM »

Glad you still have my Monte stickers on the car. Great stuff. Have you noticed the modified radiator?

1961 Lancia Flavia 1.5 Berlina. FIAT Abarth. 1954 Daimler Conquest. 2003 MG ZT-T 135. 1998 SAAB 9-5 3 litre turbo.
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #66 on: 11 March, 2012, 10:33:46 PM »

Glad you still have my Monte stickers on the car. Great stuff. Have you noticed the modified radiator?

Peter,
how was the radiator modified please.
Brian
8227 Cool

Dedra Technical Adviser
peterbaker
Permanent resident

www.retro-speed.co.uk

« Reply #67 on: 11 March, 2012, 10:38:17 PM »

Hi Brian, Im afraid it was a job carried out for me although I remember the rear headlamp area was modified. I think a look under the bonnet would reveal all. 

1961 Lancia Flavia 1.5 Berlina. FIAT Abarth. 1954 Daimler Conquest. 2003 MG ZT-T 135. 1998 SAAB 9-5 3 litre turbo.
LanciAlan
Megaposter

« Reply #68 on: 11 March, 2012, 11:21:17 PM »

Have you noticed the modified radiator?

Only in the sense that it was almost impossible to remove the subframe with the rad in situ as it fouled on the front valance. I usually forget to disconnect something in this operation and this time, even after I remembered to undo the steering, the subframe still wouldn't separate from the  body as it was hanging by the lower edge of the rad.....

Alan Murphy

fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #69 on: 12 March, 2012, 09:57:17 AM »

Hi Brian, Im afraid it was a job carried out for me although I remember the rear headlamp area was modified. I think a look under the bonnet would reveal all. 

What was the object of the modification, increased cooling capacity?

Must have been a right pig of a job to fit it in and take it out as that's a nightmare even with the standard radiator on 2c's Shocked

Brian
8227 Cool

Dedra Technical Adviser
peterbaker
Permanent resident

www.retro-speed.co.uk

« Reply #70 on: 12 March, 2012, 10:45:14 AM »

I only had a new series three rad.

LanciAlan
Megaposter

« Reply #71 on: 20 May, 2012, 03:11:11 PM »

Yesterday I got some pics of how the repairs to the 2C are coming along.

Mark has started at the worst corner which is the front mounting point for the rear spring underneath the RHS rear passenger seat:

Side view of front mounting point for the rear spring:

RHS Sill:

Front of RHS Sill and subframe mounting box:

Lower inner front RHS wheelarch:

Although the photos make it look even worse than it is in reality, you would wonder whether it was worth embarking on such an elaborate restoration of such a low-value specimen. For less money I could probably have re-bodied it with a good LHD shell and got a load of spares into the bargain. But it is a rare enough car now in RHD form as Brian H points out and it also has a slightly interesting history having been originally bought in Cyprus (hence RHD  but instruments calibrated in Km) and moving via Greece to the UK quite early in its life and with several LMC owners thereafter.

I am hoping that with Bill Lewis' wonderful handmade panels and Mark's skilled repair work that it will be better under the skin than any replacement shell and as good as new!
« Last Edit: 20 May, 2012, 03:32:49 PM by LanciAlan » Logged

Alan Murphy

fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #72 on: 20 May, 2012, 04:16:50 PM »

Looking good Alan,
Do you think the inner sill etc are original or replaced previously? reason for asking is that an Auatralian 2c owner found a block of shaped rubber in each sill.

Pleased that you're staying with the original body rather than reshelling.

Brian
8227 Cool

Dedra Technical Adviser
LanciAlan
Megaposter

« Reply #73 on: 20 May, 2012, 10:02:07 PM »

Hi Brian

Any lumps of rubber that once resided here are long gone I would think.The inner sills are original but the outers have been done before so we are not the firstto open them up. Maybe there will be some on the other side though as things are not so desperate over there!

I am promised more photos soon - in fact I don't know when these were taken as the guy working on it doesn't do much phone or e-mail stuff so the car could be much more advanced by now!

Alan Murphy

HF_Dave
Megaposter

Rust , What Rust !! I don't See any rust !!!

« Reply #74 on: 07 June, 2012, 07:52:14 PM »

The repairs look very good, I couldn't imagine trying to do it myself. I know we talked about buying a Mig welder and having a go at it, but the skill would take a long while to develop, not enough hours in life never  mind a day Smiley You can't beat experience. It will probably be the best and strongest 2C in existance Wink
« Last Edit: 07 June, 2012, 07:54:25 PM by HF_Dave » Logged

My Current Cars:

1991 Thema station wagon
1989 Thema 16v
2011 Lancia Delta 3

1977 Beta sedan 2000
1975 Fulvia S3 1.3
1973 Flavia HF 2000 Coupe
1972 Fulvia S2 1.3
1989 Thema 8.32
**Other Makes**
2018 Alfa Giulia