Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
24 April, 2024, 03:38:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fulvia 2C for 2013?  (Read 61023 times)
LanciAlan
Megaposter

« Reply #45 on: 11 November, 2011, 08:02:32 AM »

I can report that Bill Lewis is a very nice retired man who lives down quite a narrow country lane and who is well accustomed to receiving the owners of exotic and not so exotic metal in need of fabrication. He is also very busy but he showed us his shrinker and gave us a nice cup of tea.

Alan,
If it makes you feel any better, Fulvia berlina S1 prices in Italy have risen slightly over the summer I reckon. Is this in anticipation of 2013....or supply and demand.....or old car prices generally?
In any case great news that you are bringing your car (with I think Jacky's old bootlid!) back to life.
Chris

Or maybe the price of everything in Italy has risen slightly over the summer - I believe it is now for sale as a €3trillion job lot.

Fulvia centenary   Huh? Huh? Shocked

Well spotted Roger - you would never think that I had reviewed my post at least twice before finalising it. I guess I am subconsciously giving myself a realistic target for once....

« Last Edit: 11 November, 2011, 08:07:56 AM by LanciAlan » Logged

Alan Murphy

Lancias that begin with "F" ... and affordable variants beginning with "Z" and "P" ..... and now with added "Y"!
LanciAlan
Megaposter

« Reply #46 on: 13 November, 2011, 02:13:38 PM »

Brian

During the dismantling I thought of you when it came to the top of the front screen ... did you say that you do or don't have one of these black strips over Fay's screen?

Anyhow, it is quite a delicate item with its bulk being foam moulded over metal strips. It is particularly weak at the centre where the outer plastic and inner foam are thinnest and are not supported by metal. it is held on with 4 or 5 wire press clips along its length and by the rearview morror mounting at the centre. It has two bumps that are supposed to retain or position the sun visors.

I recently dismantled a 2000 Coupe which has a particularly nice headlining design. All around the edge of the headcloth runs a strip of pads like this that bridge the gaps from the roof cloth to the door and window apertures. These are full metal shaped panels (probably aluminium) that are just covered in glued-on foam sheet and vinyl or whatever. I am thinking of adapting them for re-use in my Fulvia Zagato which seems to have rather spartan roof lining solutions.

* DSCN1866amLLW.jpg (89.2 KB, 640x480 - viewed 364 times.)

* DSCN1878SMALLER.jpg (210.08 KB, 640x480 - viewed 398 times.)

Alan Murphy

Lancias that begin with "F" ... and affordable variants beginning with "Z" and "P" ..... and now with added "Y"!
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #47 on: 14 November, 2011, 01:40:11 AM »

Brian

During the dismantling I thought of you when it came to the top of the front screen ... did you say that you do or don't have one of these black strips over Fay's screen?

Anyhow, it is quite a delicate item with its bulk being foam moulded over metal strips. It is particularly weak at the centre where the outer plastic and inner foam are thinnest and are not supported by metal. it is held on with 4 or 5 wire press clips along its length and by the rearview morror mounting at the centre. It has two bumps that are supposed to retain or position the sun visors.

I recently dismantled a 2000 Coupe which has a particularly nice headlining design. All around the edge of the headcloth runs a strip of pads like this that bridge the gaps from the roof cloth to the door and window apertures. These are full metal shaped panels (probably aluminium) that are just covered in glued-on foam sheet and vinyl or whatever. I am thinking of adapting them for re-use in my Fulvia Zagato which seems to have rather spartan roof lining solutions.

Hi Alan,
No I don't have one, I had one made about 2000 but it's incorrect and too small, I only had the metal former that is inside and the cover which had more or less disintegrated,  neither of which were of any help in determining the correct dimensions, I realised afterwards (although I should have realised at the time Roll Eyes) that the top of the A post trims is the correct contour.
As you so rightly say the reason it's thin in the middle is because of the location of the rear view mirror, I also didn't realise that OPD 37E had the correct part in situ, I've never seen one in any other series 1 Berlina.
I'm hoping to get one made and would greatly appreciate it if you could take some close ups for me of the contours.
Here are 3 not very good photos of of the one I had made which you can see is clearly a lot smaller than the one you have just removed.
Brian
8227 Cool

* IMG00004-20100517-1642.jpg (218.54 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 357 times.)

* IMG00005-20100517-1642.jpg (123.02 KB, 1792x1344 - viewed 354 times.)

* IMG00009-20100517-1644.jpg (104.82 KB, 1792x1344 - viewed 357 times.)
« Last Edit: 14 November, 2011, 01:45:29 AM by fay66 » Logged

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
LanciAlan
Megaposter

« Reply #48 on: 14 November, 2011, 03:02:59 PM »

Brian. I will e-mail you higher resolution copies of the photos I took (the two above and a few more). If I strap it to a board to keep it safe I can even bring it with me on some future trip ... though I feel a 2C parts car coming on - there must be a few of those around. Peter Gerrish told me on the NEC stand about his former competition car (running a 1600 engine at one stage) and introduced me to its current owner.

While he has my car as a template and is making up panels for me (4 x wing/arch sections, 2x inner/outer sills, rear valance, possible floorpans), do you think I should ask Bill Lewis to make double of all the panels?

One could make a modest markup on eBay to cover costs but do you think there would be demand - most parts would suit the Series 2  and I am surprised they are not more widely available. I scoured the internet on a picture search and came up with a pair of original full wings but in different parts of Italy.

Alan Murphy

fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #49 on: 14 November, 2011, 07:17:22 PM »

Brian. I will e-mail you higher resolution copies of the photos I took (the two above and a few more). If I strap it to a board to keep it safe I can even bring it with me on some future trip ... though I feel a 2C parts car coming on - there must be a few of those around. Peter Gerrish told me on the NEC stand about his former competition car (running a 1600 engine at one stage) and introduced me to its current owner.

While he has my car as a template and is making up panels for me (4 x wing/arch sections, 2x inner/outer sills, rear valance, possible floorpans), do you think I should ask Bill Lewis to make double of all the panels?

One could make a modest markup on eBay to cover costs but do you think there would be demand - most parts would suit the Series 2  and I am surprised they are not more widely available. I scoured the internet on a picture search and came up with a pair of original full wings but in different parts of Italy.
Thanks alan,
The photos will be of great assistance.
Any chance of coming to Brooklands in the spring?
Don't know about plenty of 2c donors/spares cars about, I've never found one advertised and in fact back in 1998 "Fays" Donor car was an early Normale in horrendous, condition that Colin Clamp found for me in Farnborough.
I'll be surprised if there are any about, much more likely is a series 2. some of which is of use, but quite a lot that isn't.
It could certainly be worthwhile getting a second set of panels made but with a view to selling them on the Continent where there are a lot more series 1's about.
I don't know how many 2c's were sold here, but I think it could only have been a handful, even in 2000 there were only 13 on the Register, 8 of which were in Australia, and 4 of those belonged to Graham Ward and his family.
Of the Uk 2c's that I've never seen PYY 169D which was last taxed 1/4/2003 and lived in Highgate London.
SLR 631F was in Sheffield, I've tried to trace the owner with no luck.
JSD 4F the only UK GT that belongs to Alan Borthwick, hasn't been taxed since 1/11/1992, although I understand Alan still has hopes of it returning to the road eventually.
There was a LHD GT/GTE for sale earlier this year.
A couple of years ago there was a LHD Normale the same colour as "Fay" spotted in a car park in London where it had stood for sometime, the person who spotted it tried to find out who it belonged to but when we were last in contact, well over a year ago, he still hadn't been able to trace the owner, but I've heard nothing more since. The vehicle details for ENP 627B are:
Date of Liability 01 02 2003
Date of First Registration 22 02 2002
Year of Manufacture 1964
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 1200cc
CO2 Emissions Not Available
Fuel Type PETROL
Export Marker N
Vehicle Status Unlicensed
Vehicle Colour BLUE
Vehicle Type Approval Not Available .
Interesting that it was first registered in 2002 and wasn't taxed the following year, I wonder why as it looks fairly good in the photos?

So if anyone does KNOW where there's a spares car, I'm sure Alan & myself would like to know.

Brian
8227 Cool

* DSCF2434.JPG (118.78 KB, 640x480 - viewed 371 times.)

* DSCF2437.JPG (117.46 KB, 640x480 - viewed 372 times.)

* DSCF2439.JPG (118.66 KB, 640x480 - viewed 393 times.)

* DSCF2440.JPG (115.87 KB, 640x480 - viewed 381 times.)

* DSCF2435.JPG (123.81 KB, 640x480 - viewed 368 times.)
« Last Edit: 15 November, 2011, 09:00:54 AM by fay66 » Logged

Dedra Technical Adviser
LanciAlan
Megaposter

« Reply #50 on: 16 November, 2011, 12:31:27 PM »

Hi Brian

Somehow I missed your reply of 2 days ago. A parts car would be a good thing as I realised in dismantling mine how easily one could grind to a halt in restoring or re-assembling just for the want of walking across the yard to plunder a part from a donor car. Keep an eye out.

ENP 627P in the London carpark looks like a very good LHD car - I wonder is it still there?

You didn't mention AJH 998C pictured below but perhaps that is because it is also a LHD import. It is currently for sale at Richard Thorne's for £6k and with £10k recent  mechanical bills .

Whatever about the £10k bills, the £6k price tag is a target I would hope not to come too close to in the restoration of my car. I do anticipate spending £3k to £4k  including purchase and transport costs (probably £4k to £5k if I were being realistic and honest) so £6k for a finished car with work already done doesn't seem too bad but it would not be so much fun as doing it myself. But of course is is still a lot more than the car is worth on the open market.

I haven't forgotten the photos of the black strip and I while I do aim to be in the UK on Lancia business in the spring or sooner (collecting or re-locating the 2C from Bill's to elsewhere for further work) I had not considered attending Brooklands. Given the cost of my recent escapades, I think my next visit will be a strictly functional day trip though I would not rule out collecting a parts car....

Alan

* 217-2-large.jpg (101.65 KB, 564x423 - viewed 403 times.)

* 217-3-large.jpg (89.23 KB, 564x423 - viewed 382 times.)

* 217-4-large.jpg (95.27 KB, 564x423 - viewed 387 times.)

* 217-5-large.jpg (105.33 KB, 564x423 - viewed 364 times.)
« Last Edit: 16 November, 2011, 12:50:02 PM by LanciAlan » Logged

Alan Murphy

DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #51 on: 16 November, 2011, 01:47:03 PM »

We all know not to get drawn in by ebay photos (don't we?  That black Flavia 2000 HF has been relisted)  but what that grey saloon teaches is that all those  good looking cars on Subito (grandma had it from new, always garaged etc etc) can need a fair bit more than a refresh of the braking system aside from how the import costs can mount up.

Anyone doing a home resto should have a photo of that car on the wall as a reminder of how brown the grass can be the other side of the fence.

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
LanciAlan
Megaposter

« Reply #52 on: 16 November, 2011, 02:50:41 PM »

David

Have I missed out on an informed discussion of the recent history of this car since it was imported from Italy or are you surmising on the basis of the £10k?

The import costs for my white 2C are lost in a bit of an accounting haze as it was acquired specifically to optimise the cost of delivering another car to the UK rather than coming home with an empty trailer. I suppose I should strictly apportion some of the cost to the disposal and some to the 2C. And now the full cost of returning it to the UK last week and collecting it at some future point.

My only other significant forseeable cash costs are the rehabilitation of the shell as I plan to do the rest of the work myself, hopefully resulting in a solid, smart and useable car, if not perfect or concours.

So I won't be having it reupholstered or buying any new shiny bits, the current engine seems to work ok and if it doesn't I have plenty of transplant options!

Alan
« Last Edit: 16 November, 2011, 02:54:54 PM by LanciAlan » Logged

Alan Murphy

fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #53 on: 16 November, 2011, 04:10:22 PM »

Alan,
I was aware of the LHD 2c in Richard Thornes' and I had emailed to ask could they let me have the chassis number and 1st Registration date so I could compare it to "Fays", but I never received a reply, obviously RTCC had forgotten the times when they rang me as Dedra Adviser for technical information, one way street only it would seem.
Prior to the LHD Normale I wasn't aware of any other LHD 2c's so the only information I could go on was the 2000 Register of Members and their cars.
But it's sometime since I heard from the person who was interested in it, and even an email had no response, so I don't know if it's still in the car park, but it's still on the DVLA records.
I think there was another LHD in pale blue for sale a couple of years ago but I don't know if it was actually in the UK, if it was, I've never seen it.

I see in your photos of the RTCC 2c that it has the mechanism for the radiator shutter on the radiator, but not the cable that connects it to the shutter to open or close it, did you notice if it actually had the shutter which covers the top half of the radiator?
It also has the air cleaner with the Summer/ Winter setting + the hose that goes to the hot air collector on the exhaust manifold, which would make it later than "Fay" who has a straight nozzle to the air cleaner. so I wonder how it got a "C" age related plate, as FAY 224D is the original registration number and she was first registered 1/1/1966.
Perhaps I'd better take myself of to RTCC and have a look at it and determine the Chassis number.

Cost wise, I must be well on the way to the £10K figure, accumalative since I bought bought her in 1997.

Does anyone know of a supplier for the 'Elephant' Trunking for the heater, as mine is in pretty poor condition.

If you are considering the possibilty of Brooklands in the Spring without a car, fly to Luton and come with me for the day in "Fay" Cheesy

Brian
8227 Cool 

Dedra Technical Adviser
LanciAlan
Megaposter

« Reply #54 on: 16 November, 2011, 04:38:06 PM »

I see in your photos of the RTCC 2c that it has the mechanism for the radiator shutter on the radiator, but not the cable that connects it to the shutter to open or close it, did you notice if it actually had the shutter which covers the top half of the radiator?

Does anyone know of a supplier for the 'Elephant' Trunking for the heater, as mine is in pretty poor condition.

If you are considering the possibilty of Brooklands in the Spring without a car, fly to Luton and come with me for the day in "Fay" Cheesy

Brian
8227 Cool  

Brian

I reproduced the photos from the RTCC website.

My elephant trunking was in perfect condition when I removed it last week but I could not persuade my assistant to take a photo of me wearing it as a trunk while standing in the empty engine bay ... I am sorry now that I didn't insist but we were under a lot of pressure late at night to get the car ready for shipping. I saw no trunking at the NEC -  it is a bit bulky for taking along to shows I suppose -  but I should think at least two of the suppliers there would be likely to stock it. Woolies of Peterborough were there and they have a website. For my recent 2000HF re-fit, I used silver trunking (but of a much smaller size) available off the shelf from the motor factors - it was also quite delicate. I should think that a diomestic application such as for an extractor hood might be more robust and meet the purpose if you could either paint it black or put up with it being silver or white.

Thanks for the Brooklands/Fay offer. I know I was all about UK roadtrips by land and air before but now that I have done two in quick succession and at great expense I need to measure my budget cloth. However it may well tie in with my next visit to move the 2C or whatever so thanks for that offer and lets see how it goes.

Alan
« Last Edit: 16 November, 2011, 04:41:33 PM by LanciAlan » Logged

Alan Murphy

Tim Ray
Lapsed

« Reply #55 on: 16 November, 2011, 08:54:25 PM »

Alan   - Ref. Elephant Trunking.   You might be interested in the following supplier on e-bay.
 Item 110650483486  dieselheaters4u.   This is 60 mm diameter but various sizes available.
Company is called Diesel Heaters and Spares . Don't be put off because he is in Turkey. I have used them twice now with excellent service. They speak good English.
Hope this helps.
Tim   
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #56 on: 16 November, 2011, 11:11:09 PM »

Brian

My elephant trunking was in perfect condition when I removed it last week but I could not persuade my assistant to take a photo of me wearing it as a trunk while standing in the empty engine bay ... I am sorry now that I didn't insist but we were under a lot of pressure late at night to get the car ready for shipping.
Alan
[/quote]
Now that I would have liked to have seen!

The fan ducting sounds promising, I'll have to take mine off and have a scout around the building supplies, In fact mine is in 2 halves connected by a piece of underground drain pipe painted black!

Brian
8227 Cool

Dedra Technical Adviser
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #57 on: 16 November, 2011, 11:12:53 PM »

Alan   - Ref. Elephant Trunking.   You might be interested in the following supplier on e-bay.
 Item 110650483486  dieselheaters4u.   This is 60 mm diameter but various sizes available.
Company is called Diesel Heaters and Spares . Don't be put off because he is in Turkey. I have used them twice now with excellent service. They speak good English.
Hope this helps.
Tim   
Thanks Tim,
I'll have a look.

Brian
8227 Cool

Dedra Technical Adviser
nistri
Megaposter

« Reply #58 on: 17 November, 2011, 08:09:05 AM »

The late Barry Waterhouse had told me that the trunking is unnecessary because the airbox on its winter setting takes the air behind the radiator anyway and is never too cold. Removing the trunking makes it easier to check ignition timing and does not foul the clutch lever movement. On his advice I removed the trunking from all Fulvias I could lay my hands on  Smiley (I live in a place where winter is very cold; today there was already strong frost outside home) and I never had any problem with warming up or running a Fulvia. It is however very important to fit a grille muffler to reach 70 degree with the coolant temp. Andrea

Andrea Nistri

Ardea S2
Appia S2
Fulvia GTE
Fulvia Sport 1.3 S
Fulvia Montecarlo
Fulvia Coupe 1.3 S
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #59 on: 17 November, 2011, 11:39:49 AM »

Back up the thread - my comments were only on the basis of the 10K quoted for mechanical work not any additional knowledge of that car.

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd