Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
29 March, 2024, 09:33:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alternator woes  (Read 2833 times)
ah_sprite
Lapsed

« on: 31 May, 2011, 09:04:10 AM »

Hi all
My alternator warning light is flickering when the car is running. When the car is started ,the light will go out for around 2 seconds, then begin to flicker. It's not affected by increasing engine speed.
I have a feeling the brushes are knackered - however, can this be caused by a bad connection somewhere?

Cheers
Richard
ah_sprite
Lapsed

« Reply #1 on: 31 May, 2011, 09:10:34 AM »

Meant to also ask - if the alternator does need replacement, is there a better (and cheaper!) modern alternative that can be used, or are originals still commonly available at motor factors? The car is an S3, by the way.
ncundy
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #2 on: 31 May, 2011, 09:17:01 AM »

You can get them rebuilt by a competent auto electrician. Moving to a more modern one is definately feasable but if you go to one with a higher output you may need to upgrade parts of the wiring loom.

1969 Fanalone, Mazda RX-8, Fiat Multipla
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 31 May, 2011, 10:20:11 AM »

Auto electrician is best route. They will check and replace brushes and diode pack if necessary and new bearings. If Ducillier then bearings are non standard due to the narrower shaft.

I notice my alternator light glows on my sport at night (its dim so you cant really see in day light) but I know the thing is working /charging fine. I have assumed it is a poor earth (and on the list to sort one day) as it glows a bit brighter if the indicators are used.

Tim

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
Neil
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 31 May, 2011, 10:37:44 AM »

I would recommend a rebuild by an expert, my Duceiller alternator on my S2 was rebuilt with new parts and now looks like new, they also tested the separate regulator box which I replaced many years ago and was fine.  the glowing light on the dash is usually a power earth, never sure if the that is the dashboard end or the lead that attached to the alternator or both, more like the dash I suspect.  Beefing up earth leads all round is probably a good idea anyway.

Neil   

1973 Fulvia S2 1.3
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd