Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 08:56:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Beta - Automatic - Inhibitor  (Read 4990 times)
Howard
« on: 24 March, 2011, 05:51:58 PM »

I started my Beta (started right away as usual!) I drove for approx 20 minutes and then I couldn't start it. A very reliable source tells me it may be the inhibitor on the automatic gear box. Has anyone had this problem? Is it a common occurence? I was also told that it may be vapourisation - (common on a Montecarlo apparently) any ideas fellow Beta lovers!!!
thecolonel
« Reply #1 on: 24 March, 2011, 08:15:04 PM »

If the starter is turning, then it's not the inhibitor switch
If the starter isn't turning then yes it's probably the switch,
not 100% where it's located on a Beta, can be on the gear
selector or on the box itself.

Hope that helps.
Geoff
Howard
« Reply #2 on: 25 March, 2011, 08:03:49 AM »

Thanks Geoff - the strater is not turning so I guess it is the inhibitor - I've pawed through the Haynes Manuael and can find no reference to where it is!!
Thotos
Administrator
Megaposter

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #3 on: 25 March, 2011, 11:01:10 AM »

Inhibitor switch is on top of the gearbox (on the Trevi at least). It should allow the car to start in Park and in Neutral so if the starter doesn't turn in Park set the selector to Neutral and try again. If it then works then all you need is a simple adjustment...

Theo Kyriacou
Howard
« Reply #4 on: 25 March, 2011, 11:29:19 AM »

Inhibitor switch is on top of the gearbox (on the Trevi at least). It should allow the car to start in Park and in Neutral so if the starter doesn't turn in Park set the selector to Neutral and try again. If it then works then all you need is a simple adjustment...

Thanks for that - it doesn't start in park or neutral !! thanks for the location though - thats a good start - cheers
Thotos
Administrator
Megaposter

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #5 on: 25 March, 2011, 11:55:38 AM »

There's a multi-plug (bullet type) connector near the inhibitor switch (talking Trevi again but probably the same on your Beta) so it could be just a bad connection. 

Theo Kyriacou
rogerelias
Rebel Poster

MY 1600HF IN HEARTBEAT GARAGE

« Reply #6 on: 25 March, 2011, 10:11:16 PM »

Or the old style trick, if you have long arms Roll Eyes hold the key in the start postion, and have a suitable clonking stick,aka long metal bar/starting handle handy, give the solenoid on top of the starter a few clonks, and see if that works, if it turns over, suspect starter needs looking at,i have done that a few times with some of my Fulvias in the past, i still have the Aprilia starting handle used in the garage, Smiley good luck

FULVIA 1600HF LUSSO
1958 VELOCETTE MAC
Triumph Bonneville t120v 1972
1968 MGC ROADSTER
1958 Series 2 Appia berlina
Howard
« Reply #7 on: 26 March, 2011, 10:03:32 AM »

Thanks everyone - problem solved - I've got a by pass switch set up for the short term until I can permanently resolve it...  Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd