Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 05:12:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone experiencing "Unread messages" not working correctly ?  (Read 4997 times)
sparehead3
Administrator
Permanent resident

« on: 17 February, 2011, 12:22:56 PM »

Hi All,

From Ade:

"I don't know if it's just me, but since the update I have been having problems using the 'Show unread posts since last visit' feature.  Some of the time it will show the list, then if I start to read topics the next time I go back to it there are no unread posts to view. Some times although there are unread topics the list is empty."

Has anyone else experienced this ? I'm fine on a Windows7/IE8 setup and an XP/IE7 setup. Ade is on Vista and Windows7 and gets this problem. I'm check out the Forum Forums Smiley

*checking on the Forum Forums I can only find references to fixes and not to problems ....
« Last Edit: 17 February, 2011, 12:27:17 PM by sparehead3 » Logged

Regards,
Steve Pilgrim
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 17 February, 2011, 01:38:08 PM »

Don't know if we're talking about the same thing, but if I've only read halfway through the unread posts and then have to go out of the forum, next time I come back in, maybe only minutes later, all the unread posts are gone and the only way to find them is to go through the forum looking at the latest date of posting in each subject.
It's nothing new, I've always had this problem and found it frustrating.

Briab
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
the.cern
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 17 February, 2011, 01:47:30 PM »

Brian, I have the same problem as you, (the one where you 'lose' some unread messages), but it was easily remedied once I had discovered the 'show all unread posts' option !!! An excellent device.

However, I also have found that on occasion I find in the 'unread posts' messages that I have definitely read before. Most confusing, is it the system, or simply me being a plonker !!!

Andy
sparehead3
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 17 February, 2011, 10:48:07 PM »

Ok , it's maybe not Ade , but also maybe not the update to the system either !
See if we can nail it down ... unfortunately I don't remember having any problems !

Regards,
Steve Pilgrim
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 17 February, 2011, 11:23:11 PM »

Thanks Andrew,
Pleased it's not just me!
Steve, thank you.

Brian
8227 Cool

Dedra Technical Adviser
stuwilson128
Non-LMC Seller
Rebel Poster

« Reply #5 on: 18 February, 2011, 08:25:04 PM »

Don't know if we're talking about the same thing, but if I've only read halfway through the unread posts and then have to go out of the forum, next time I come back in, maybe only minutes later, all the unread posts are gone and the only way to find them is to go through the forum looking at the latest date of posting in each subject.

If you open the unread posts page and then navigate away from the forum, the software will assume that you have read all of the posts which were new.  Effectively, by opening the unread posts page, all new posts at that point are flagged as having been read as far as the new posts page is concerned.  Therefore, when you return to the forum it will say that there are no new posts even if you have unread posts (Note the difference between new posts and unread posts).

My suggestion to overcome this problem is to set you browser to have 2 home pages with the forum being one of them.  This will open the forum and your other homepage / search engine in two separate tabs, so if you need to do something away from the forum, you just select the other tab rather than navigating away from the forum.  This is what I do and I always have the forum open.  It also refreshes the forum each time you press the homepage button.  Hope this helps!

Stuart Wilson 11175
1973 Fulvia Coupe 1.3
2000 Lybra SW 2.4JTd
2009 Delta 1.9 Twin Turbo
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 19 February, 2011, 12:52:14 AM »

If you open the unread posts page and then navigate away from the forum, the software will assume that you have read all of the posts which were new.  Effectively, by opening the unread posts page, all new posts at that point are flagged as having been read as far as the new posts page is concerned.  Therefore, when you return to the forum it will say that there are no new posts even if you have unread posts (Note the difference between new posts and unread posts).

My suggestion to overcome this problem is to set you browser to have 2 home pages with the forum being one of them.  This will open the forum and your other homepage / search engine in two separate tabs, so if you need to do something away from the forum, you just select the other tab rather than navigating away from the forum.  This is what I do and I always have the forum open.  It also refreshes the forum each time you press the homepage button.  Hope this helps!

Thanks Stuart,
would be nice to have a box you ticked when you'd read the the post Grin
but I'll try your way.

Brian
8227 Cool

Dedra Technical Adviser
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 19 February, 2011, 09:12:52 AM »

I thought it was always like Stuart said???

Tim

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
nyssa7
Megaposter

« Reply #8 on: 03 March, 2011, 09:21:55 PM »

Has never worked for me - always get the message "no unread messages" despite never logging out of the site

Strangely enough, if I access the forum from an email notification, it works perfectly - so now I only ever access the site wne someone spots a Lancia on the road. Sometimes I have weeks of posts to catch up with

2000 kappa coupe 20vt
1996 kappa saloon 20vt race car
the "Yntegrale"
1999 Lotus Elise S1
2016 AMG GTS

Y10 Advisor
Dilambdaman
Permanent resident

« Reply #9 on: 04 March, 2011, 12:08:22 AM »

Has never worked for me - always get the message "no unread messages" despite never logging out of the site

Same for me.

Robin.

Robin Lacey 3222

1932 Dilambda
1992 Y10 GTie
2012 Delta Mk3
sparehead3
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #10 on: 04 March, 2011, 12:46:39 PM »

Ok, here's a suggestion(been reading the SMF forums a bit).

Add this link onto your favourites and see whether that makes it better:

http://www.lancia.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?action=unread

This is pretty much what I do when I go in OR I use:

http://www.lancia.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php

and then select the Unread Messages from the options.

Just a suggestion : there is a bit of discussion about this elsewhere too so we're not alone.

Steve

Regards,
Steve Pilgrim
Dilambdaman
Permanent resident

« Reply #11 on: 04 March, 2011, 10:42:14 PM »

Many thanks Steve but no change, it still won't work for me.

However, no big deal as I've got used to getting round the problem.

Robin.

Robin Lacey 3222

1932 Dilambda
1992 Y10 GTie
2012 Delta Mk3
neil-yaj396
Committee
Permanent resident

« Reply #12 on: 05 March, 2011, 10:50:52 AM »

Randomly last week I had no unread messages when the forum clearly showed quite a few. It's been ok since though.

1979 1300 Beta Coupe, 2014 Ypsilon 1.2 S Series Momo
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd