Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 10:44:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fulvia driving info wanted  (Read 5315 times)
stuwilson128
Non-LMC Seller
Rebel Poster

« on: 13 March, 2011, 07:43:50 PM »

I have had an email from somebody who is looking to buy a Fulvia for touring and rallying, but has never driven a Fulvia.  He has two questions which I have copied below.

1)      I have never driven a fulvia, and wonder how the different versions will feel? A 1.6 is outside my budget, so 1.3 most likely

2)      How different will a rally-prepared car feel & be as an everyday car for city use & relaxed touring compared to a non-modified one?

Any advice will be gratefully received!

Stuart Wilson 11175
1973 Fulvia Coupe 1.3
2000 Lybra SW 2.4JTd
2009 Delta 1.9 Twin Turbo
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 13 March, 2011, 11:32:36 PM »

I have had an email from somebody who is looking to buy a Fulvia for touring and rallying, but has never driven a Fulvia.  He has two questions which I have copied below.
1)      I have never driven a fulvia, and wonder how the different versions will feel? A 1.6 is outside my budget, so 1.3 most likely
2)      How different will a rally-prepared car feel & be as an everyday car for city use & relaxed touring compared to a non-modified one?
Any advice will be gratefully received!
Stuart,
I'm obviously biased towards Berlinas, I've toured thousands of miles here and long distances abroad with only 1091cc, and with a ton of car to haul around it's not off the mark as quick as the 1300cc although it will cruise at 70mph all day, but a series 2 Berlina has more or less the same performance as the 1300cc Coupes.
Many non Lancia people don't realise that the Berlina is the ORIGINAL FULVIA and has great charm. 
The Berlinas have quite a few advantages when it comes to touring,
1. They have 4 seats and can carry four occupants in comfort. whereas a Coupe will carry 2 + 2 legless dwarfs.
2, A more supple ride, not quite as good at roadholding as the coupe, but not as much difference as you might imagine.
Boot large enough to carry luggage for 4 with no problems, Coupe has a smaller boot.
Having had a 1.3 Rallye Coupe I speak from experience with Berlina and Coupe.
Coupe is prettier and has great looks as well as performance and roadholding, attracting more attention than Berlina.
So it's really all down to what you want, if you only intend carrying 2 people then the back seat becomes extra luggage space which then is sufficent for two while touring in the coupe,
The Berlina is more than up to the task if your not worried about the image compared to the coupe or Sport Zagato ( on which I can't comment never having owned one.)
There are plenty good 1300 Coupes out there, but few Berlinas now, although a Berlina may be cheaper than the coupe.
Personally I think you want a road car for town or touring as you might be disappointed with a Rallye prepared car for every day driving and touring.

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
peterbaker
Permanent resident

www.retro-speed.co.uk

« Reply #2 on: 14 March, 2011, 08:46:42 AM »

If the car is to be used for club level road events then it can remain standard apart from a few safety items. A roll cage for example is not required. This not really a berlina/coupe debate, more how a rally prepared car would fit in to a regular life style. Most Fulvias are made to look more aggressive and ape 'works' cars but actually they are pretty standard, if stage prepared however it would obviously be incapable of everyday use. The original question is too wide ranging. Find a car in your price range and then come back again.   

1961 Lancia Flavia 1.5 Berlina. FIAT Abarth. 1954 Daimler Conquest. 2003 MG ZT-T 135. 1998 SAAB 9-5 3 litre turbo.
Dilambdaman
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 14 March, 2011, 10:27:44 AM »

Very difficult to advise as we all have different conceptions of what is acceptable. When I was young my rallying ex-works Fulvia 1.3HF doubled as my everyday transport. Today I doubt very much I could put up with it!

IMHO best thing to do would be to get up close and personal with each variant and take it from there. Someone in the club will oblige. Perhaps go to Goodwood Track Day.

One things for sure, get yourself a Fulvia, you'll never regret it.  Smiley

Robin.

Robin Lacey 3222

1932 Dilambda
1992 Y10 GTie
2012 Delta Mk3
lancialulu
Press Officer
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 14 March, 2011, 10:29:40 AM »

Peter's quite right. I have developed my HF (not part of this discussion for budgetary reasons...) to be fun but still usable on the road. I would say it is a halfway house, with slightly stiffer dampers, race cams, gasflowed head, gp4 exhaust std carbs, roll cage etc. But although we went to Turin in it for the Centenary it wouldnt be my car of choice for everyday use.

Maybe I am getting old - another variable....

Tim

Its not the winning but taking part! or is it taking apart?
Lancias:
1955 Aurelia B12
1967 Fulvia 1.3HFR
1972 Fulvia 1600HF
1972 Fulvia Sport 1600
1983 HPE VX
1988 Delta 1.6GTie
1998 Zeta 21.  12v
bruciebonuz
Lapsed
Megaposter

« Reply #5 on: 14 March, 2011, 02:23:00 PM »

I am selling my racing HF which someone is interested in to use as a tarmac rally car, for which it would be very well suited.  Its fully road legal and I have driven it on the road - Harpenden to Brooklands and back (and that was far enough thanks!).  Its got Koni adjustable dampers on the front and stiffened rear, with wide track/road Yokohama tyres.  It has Gr 4 exhaust and 45 webers, bucket seats and no sound deadening or heater.  Would I want to drive it on the road any further than Brooklands and back - no, not really, too loud and too uncomfortable and not what it was built for.  I would find a nice standard car and then tweak it as you like over time to suit your tastes. 

1969 RHD Fanalone Lusso
peterbaker
Permanent resident

www.retro-speed.co.uk

« Reply #6 on: 14 March, 2011, 02:52:44 PM »

I agree, go for a standard car, maybe the berlina first series as they are very flexible in traffic. My HF has been strengthened and fitted with roll cage along with sealing between rear seat and tank. There are full harness belts, winter tyres, adjustable shocks and fire extinquisher etc. Engine wise it runs different cams, bigger carbs, polished head and manifold. Although its quick, I hate the five speed gearbox and inflexibility so I left the HF in the garage and did the Classic Marathon through the Alps in my standard series one Fulvia Sport, sadly since sold. We used the HF for the Marathon that started in Ljbiana but trailored it the thousand miles to the start. But from then on it was five and a half days of proper motoring on narrow roads and tracks and the car was fantastic. Even so, around town Id choose a bus pass.       

1961 Lancia Flavia 1.5 Berlina. FIAT Abarth. 1954 Daimler Conquest. 2003 MG ZT-T 135. 1998 SAAB 9-5 3 litre turbo.
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 14 March, 2011, 04:41:56 PM »

It depends on the rally you want to do...

Assuming you're not wanting to do all-out stage rallies all you really need to get started is a trip meter.  If you get serious on the special tests then a cage, belts and seats but if you're clever how the seats are fitted it can be a mere 10mins to swap back to standard again.  With that saftey gear in it would suit track days, sprints, and hillclimbs as well as feeling safer to the navigator pressing on.  You could also get a toe in the water racing. 

My dual purpose Aurelia had a cage with a bolt in rear diagonal I could take out to make the back seat usable again.  I also had rubber mats with sound deadening foam stuck to the back so I could easily throw the mats out before use on track.  It had a map light, flood light for the interior and boot, extra jacking points.  Now I remember the exhaust could be swapped for a "noisy" set that I could carry in the car.  Heated rear screen, two speed wipers, electric washers with four jets.  Not to everyone's taste but it made it a car I could use in all weathers for journeys long or short.

In terms of direct advice for a good dual purpose machine I'd start with a standard car not a rally car. 

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
HF_Dave
Megaposter

Rust , What Rust !! I don't See any rust !!!

« Reply #8 on: 14 March, 2011, 09:35:25 PM »

My own Fulvia is a standard 1.3 , The first drive I had in a Fulvia really suprised me, for a car that was more than 30yrs old it felt quite modern, enough power to drive along with modern traffic (and over take) lots of style and reasonably comfortable, I think the 1.3 is powerful enough and  reasonably priced for a classic car. I say I woulden't be without it but I have been as it's stil l being restored 5yrs on.  Tongue

My Current Cars:

1991 Thema station wagon
1989 Thema 16v
2011 Lancia Delta 3

1977 Beta sedan 2000
1975 Fulvia S3 1.3
1973 Flavia HF 2000 Coupe
1972 Fulvia S2 1.3
1989 Thema 8.32
**Other Makes**
2018 Alfa Giulia
1999 Alfa 156
2009 Fiat Du
Dilambdaman
Permanent resident

« Reply #9 on: 15 March, 2011, 12:40:42 AM »

When my son Jonathan bought and rebuilt the ex Barry Waterhouse Fulvia S1 1.6HF Fanalone I encouraged him to return it to standard. However, under Barry's guidance the engine was kept in 1.5 race tune and retained the 48 (yes, 48!) Dellorto carbs sans air box he used for rallying.

It sounds terrific, goes like stink but is irritating in traffic and at low revs. Great fun for track days and reliving my miss-spent youth but for everyday use, not.

We've had all sorts as family hacks and the best have been the standard road cars and if you ask Margaret she'll tell you that the S1 Fulvia Berlina was the tops. 

Robin.

Robin Lacey 3222

1932 Dilambda
1992 Y10 GTie
2012 Delta Mk3
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd