Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
29 March, 2024, 03:20:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Laser Aluminium Repair...  (Read 4740 times)
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« on: 09 February, 2011, 05:44:35 PM »

Is this the answer to a Lambda block's prayer?   The video looks very impressive and I wonder if anyone has had any experience with it.
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/aluminium-repair-starter-kit/path/body-repair-kits
David

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
williamcorke
Rebel Poster

B10

« Reply #1 on: 09 February, 2011, 06:02:38 PM »

Amazing demonstration video.  

I've got an early Alfa 750 block that is U/S with a head stud turning - looks like this technology could be a much cheaper, easier (more at-home) way to fix the problem than a full strip down and machining / heli-coiling at a shop.  Might give that a go.  Looks like it could take the tension of a head bolt, and if it won't I've only wasted £25 and the cost of a head gasket.
« Last Edit: 09 February, 2011, 09:20:17 PM by williamcorke » Logged

'37 Aprilia
'50 B10
'53 B20
'68 Flavia Vignale
'55 Giulietta Sprint
S1 Land Rover
thecolonel
« Reply #2 on: 09 February, 2011, 07:32:52 PM »

I bought the kit from Frost, read the small print you have to heat the item to be repaired
and you certainly can't get enough heat into anything bulky with a blowtorch.

I gave it up as a bad job, after several rather futile attempts

Geoff
williamcorke
Rebel Poster

B10

« Reply #3 on: 09 February, 2011, 09:19:09 PM »

Would you call an engine block bulky?

Shame.  If it sounds too good to be true...

'37 Aprilia
'50 B10
'53 B20
'68 Flavia Vignale
'55 Giulietta Sprint
S1 Land Rover
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 10 February, 2011, 12:59:40 AM »

Would you call an engine block bulky?

Shame.  If it sounds too good to be true...

I'm sure it wasn't being sold by Laser when I saw an actual demonstration at the Silverstone Classic Car Day 2 years ago, doing exactly some of what was shown in the video, including repairing threads in aluminum using only a blow torch, somewhere I have the spec sheet for this product and it has a low melting point for use with the  blowlamp, but it was as strong as shown once repaired.
I think it was a couple of Germans who were selling it at the time, and there were a lot of mightly impressed people.
I'll have a look and see if I can find the spec sheet.

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
davidwheeler
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 10 February, 2011, 11:05:28 AM »

Further research.  A pdf is available at        http://www.lasertools.co.uk/news/pdf/4707_PIS.pdf     The melting point of aluminium is 660C so the block would need to be heated to 400C.   I guess you could do this with an oxyacetylene flame but it would be safer to find someone with a big oven.  The demo is on a small block not something the size of a Lambda and I would be very nervous of melting the block itself.  I will have words with my local wizards and report back.

David Wheeler.  Lambdas, Aprilia, Fulvia Sport.(formerly Appia and Thema as well).
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 10 February, 2011, 12:12:04 PM »

I saw the coke can demo at a model engineering show.  As quick and easy as in the video - if you ever needed to repair a coke can  Wink

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd