Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
25 April, 2024, 12:07:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fulvia gearbox  (Read 9962 times)
super_golfer
« on: 17 January, 2011, 03:18:16 PM »

Is  it possible to fit a later series gearbox to a Series 1 1.3 engine?

Cheers
ncundy
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #1 on: 17 January, 2011, 03:57:15 PM »

Yes but....

Firstly is the S1 engine in an S1 car? if yes then you will either need to put a transmission tunnel in or cut a large hole in the existing "hump" and allow the remote to stick through into the cabin. You will aslo need to change the rear cross member of the subframe.

Then comes the connection with the engine. I'm pretty sure you will need to change the bellhousing on the 'box as it is different on the S1 to the S2's. The flywheel and clutch are different (bath type flywheel and spring clutch on S1, flat flywheel and diaphragm clutch on S2), so are likely to need changing.

The S2 gearbox has a 20 spline mainshaft so you will need a 20 spline clutch (S1 is 10 spline) and also I think the nose of the shaft is a different diameter so you may need to change the nose bearing in the flywheel.

The driveshaft flanges have different fastening arrangments, so you may need drive shafts with S2 inner joints and S1 outer joints.

Your speedo will over read because the speedo gearing is different to take into account the different size tyres.

I've never done it so these are just thoughts of the top of my head, but all points to check. I'm sure it can be done but others can add or confirm it can be done.

1969 Fanalone, Mazda RX-8, Fiat Multipla
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #2 on: 17 January, 2011, 05:14:43 PM »

Hardly sounds worth the effort, and for what reason anyway?
The 4 speed series 1 gearbox is probably the nicer of the gearboxes anyway, there is no advantage as far as top gear is concerned in fitting a dogleg 5 speed, as in both top gear is direct.
You also loose the clear floor of the 4 speed for the (granted slight) obstruction of a floor console.

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
Dilambdaman
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 18 January, 2011, 12:20:31 AM »

Yes, it is possible but as Neil demonstrates and Brian says, its hardly worth the bother. I'm with Brian too in thinking that the four speed box is nicer to use than the five speed and the steering column change on the S1 berlina is a delight.

Only time you might consider the swop is if, like me, you have a badly damaged S1 1600 HF Fanalone piggy back 5 speed box and you're baulking at the high cost of a rebuild. However, having weighed up the pros and cons we decided on the rebuild.

Robin.

Robin Lacey 3222

1932 Dilambda
1992 Y10 GTie
2012 Delta Mk3
super_golfer
« Reply #4 on: 18 January, 2011, 11:18:20 AM »

Many thanks for the replies - here's the reason for my posting. Not knowing a great deal about these cars I had assumed my recently purchased 1969 Rallye 1.3S had a series 1 engine (818.302). But I have always been puzzled by the console arrangement around the gearstick installed by the previous owner.

Last week I spent some time on the interior and removed this console, only to discover  the gearbox remote protruding through the 'hump' - exactly as Neil describes!  So I obviously have a replacement (and probably later series) gearbox. And what a mess around the hump!!

So, have a got a series 1 engine with a series 2 gearbox - or have I got a series 2 engine and gearbox. Series2 engines also had the 818.302 number (as I understand). How can I tell?   I'm now worried about the other comments about the drive shafts and the rear cross member.

Beginning to regret buying a Fulvia!!

Cheers
ncundy
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #5 on: 18 January, 2011, 11:48:45 AM »

Sorry to hear that.

Has the engine got a dynamo or an alternator? If the latter it's almost certainly a series 2. The other way to tell is what make is the starter motor - S1 were all Bosch, S2 a mixture of Bosch or Ducellier.

Do you have the engine number?

I wouldn't be surprised if someone has put a complete S2 subframe in - have the top suspension A arm bushes got grease nipples in (S1 arrangement) or are they metalastic (S2 arrangement)?

It shouldn't make any difference to the way it drives, but no doubt you're feeling a bit peeved about it.

super_golfer
« Reply #6 on: 18 January, 2011, 12:31:40 PM »

How does the remote extension look in a Series 2? Has the bodyshell been modified - or perhaps a bolt on tunnel? Or just an interior console?

Will check the engine details tonight.
super_golfer
« Reply #7 on: 18 January, 2011, 01:57:31 PM »

I've been informed that the gearbox might be from a FLAVIA  - as this was an option used when racing. It would certainly solve the puzzle as to why this box is only 4 speed, and solve the S1/S2 mismatch. I assume there is a number stamped somewhere - anyone help?
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #8 on: 18 January, 2011, 02:38:12 PM »

While many folk like cars to be absolutely as they left the factory and despise any "bodges" or modifications along the way to me a car with a "complex" history can be all the more fun and interesting to be associated with.  It becomes a bit of a detective game, and usually when you throw up your hands and shout in exasperation "what WERE they thinking!!!" its more often than not something clever and interesting.

Here's hoping anyway!!

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
ncundy
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #9 on: 18 January, 2011, 03:20:24 PM »

I've been informed that the gearbox might be from a FLAVIA  - as this was an option used when racing. It would certainly solve the puzzle as to why this box is only 4 speed, and solve the S1/S2 mismatch. I assume there is a number stamped somewhere - anyone help?

There is a ID plate on the passenger side of the 'box next to the dipstick - you'll have to get under the car to see it though. That will have a part number on it that you can reference.

ncundy
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #10 on: 18 January, 2011, 04:50:02 PM »

Here's a picture from Lucas Wilcox's 'site of his car which has a well made conversion for a 5 speed box:

http://homepage.mac.com/ekranoplan/LUKAFOTO3/page16/files/page16-1007-full.html

ColinMarr
Permanent resident

« Reply #11 on: 18 January, 2011, 06:36:41 PM »

My car started off as an early S1, but has been fitted with an S2 1600HF engine and a 5-speeed box, the innards of which come from a Flavia 2000HF. The engine and gearbox sit in a S2 sub-frame and the floor/ hump has been cut and modified as Neil describes. In my case the big S2 hump has been covered with fitted carpet and it looks OK – see photo below.

But, it may not have been necessary to fit a big hump like this! It seems that it is possible to fit the box so that the remote mechanism projects back through the hole in the original small hump. It looks like Lucas Wilcox’s is like this, and in the two examples in the photos below, one of which is Louise Kennedy’s race car.

Colin     

* Lancia details 30a.jpg (133.91 KB, 768x510 - viewed 470 times.)

* IMGP6285a.jpg (128.76 KB, 768x576 - viewed 494 times.)

* S2boxHF.jpg (76.21 KB, 600x450 - viewed 487 times.)
super_golfer
« Reply #12 on: 18 January, 2011, 07:56:14 PM »

Spooky!!  Both my car, and (I think) the Fulvia Zagato belonging to Louise, used to belong to, and were raced by,  Paul Howarth.  Same modifiications? Does she still have the car, and can she be contacd??

Cheers
super_golfer
« Reply #13 on: 18 January, 2011, 08:01:36 PM »

Well bugger me, but that picture from Lucas Wilcox's site is exactly what mine looks like!!  (Gearbox of course, not the Fanalone body). Is this car still around??
super_golfer
« Reply #14 on: 18 January, 2011, 08:44:27 PM »

Gearbox number 815300. Definately Flavia. (according to the book!)

Engine numbers (various) 818.302 227035 (head). 818 302 2281325. (lower engine block).  818.303.94795 (flywheel casing).  As clear as mud.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd