Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
29 March, 2024, 05:30:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Re-tinning/chroming headlights....DIY job or not  (Read 2938 times)
Mike8v
Lapsed

« on: 11 January, 2011, 10:51:18 PM »

Has anybody hear done or tried to refurbish there headlights, if so is it worth it.

My delta's could do with being done and I heard about someone trying it themselves (can't remember where though) with I think Chrome spray paint, just wondering if anyone has tried this or weather I should seek out a professonal.  On that note does anyone know of any good ones out there, preferably in Wales but suppose beggers can't be chooser's.

Thanks
Mike
thecolonel
« Reply #1 on: 12 January, 2011, 12:35:42 AM »

Have a read of this :

http://greasegirl.wordpress.com/2010/03/15/chrome-paint-how-platinum-bomb-was-painted/

also

http://www.chromespray.co.uk/

Geoff
St Volumex
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

Owner of RetroPart

« Reply #2 on: 12 January, 2011, 07:33:59 AM »

Hi Mike,

I have done some Beta headlamp reflectors by carefully removing the silicone glue which secures the lenses, dismantling all the crimped-on bits (for re-plating), then bead blasting the bowls, and finally sent them to a local headlamp manufacturer for re-silvering.

Actually it's not silver at all, but a two-stage powder coating - the first is brownish (which one usually sees on the back of the reflectors) and then a fluorescing silver capsule which emits the shiny stuff while the bowl is held in a jig and baked in an oven.  Sounds complicated, but the results were fantastic.

Guy McDougall
www.facebook.com/RetroPart
Rare Parts for Rare Machines
Appia Coupé S3 (Rosina), Appia Berlina S3 (La Giaconda), Fulvia 1.3S 5 spd coupé (Tigger, belongs to Carol), Beta Spyder S2 (Vivaldi), Montecarlo Spyder S2, HPE VX (Pugsly) etc
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 12 January, 2011, 07:45:14 PM »

Saw a thing on the telly about a spray on silver plating system that works on anything, flowers, teddy bears, you name it. Not sure where you would get it done or if it would be tarnish resistent but it could be interesting. Anybody know any more?

Frank
Mike8v
Lapsed

« Reply #4 on: 18 January, 2011, 03:54:30 PM »

Thanks for the links, but wanted to know if anybodys actually had a go themselves and did they turn out ok or should I just get a proffessional to do them.

Thanks
        Mike
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 18 January, 2011, 06:36:13 PM »

The obvious questions:

- are the parts so precious that you "having a go" could be a disaster?

- what would a pro job cost next to the cost of the DIY materials?  (which can be pricey...)

- is there an acceptable substitute or upgrade?

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd