Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 01:15:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aprilia door seals  (Read 6498 times)
BlueSky
Lapsed

« on: 13 December, 2010, 01:27:01 AM »

I’ve just received some door seals I ordered from Cicognani, the U shaped section, with one side longer than the other, that goes around the door. Can someone please tell me how these this fit? For some reason my car doesn’t have anything there at all.
Which way does the U go and how are they stuck to the door. Someone suggested they just have a screw at each end and are held on like a rubber band, or are they glued with contact cement? A diagram of photo would be very helpful to relieve the confusion.
Noel
« Last Edit: 13 December, 2010, 01:37:00 AM by BlueSky » Logged

1937 1st series Aprilia Berlina
Nissan X-Trail T31 TS
1920 P & M 3 1/2hp {FOR SALE}
John Deere LX188
www.narrywoolan.com.au/home
Sliding Pillar
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 13 December, 2010, 05:48:22 PM »

I'm sure that on my Aprilia they were indeed held on by a tiny screw at either end and I think that the higher section of the 'U' was on the inside.......... but it was a few years ago!

1955 Aurelia
1961 Lamborghini
Scarpia
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #2 on: 13 December, 2010, 06:39:50 PM »

I'm not sure which you mean?
There are vertical strips between the doors, a rubber strip inside (underneath) and a cloth strip that runs over the on the upper side of both doors.The strips between the doors fit into a metal channel, the others appear to be indirectly clamped by the adjacent trim sections which are alloy strips underneath and cloth covered panels next to the roof lining above.Completely unintelligible I presume so I'll try and take some photos (won't be tonight it's minus 8 outside)
BlueSky
Lapsed

« Reply #3 on: 13 December, 2010, 11:51:38 PM »

See if the pics help make sense of what I'm looking at? It's the seal that goes around the door, except for the vertical strips, which as you can see I don't have either but will be fitting a better edge seal on that bit like 2nd series cars have. If the options in the drawing are clear?? Which way do we think it goes, A, B or C? Hope things have warmed up, a pleasant 20 deg here in sunny Oz!

* U seal.jpg (141.72 KB, 680x510 - viewed 394 times.)

Nissan X-Trail T31 TS
John Deere LX188
BlueSky
Lapsed

« Reply #4 on: 13 December, 2010, 11:54:49 PM »

Missed two of the pictures, try again...

* Door seal edge.jpg (316.58 KB, 850x638 - viewed 412 times.)

* Door seal dwg.jpg (89.51 KB, 969x582 - viewed 414 times.)

Nissan X-Trail T31 TS
John Deere LX188
Scarpia
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #5 on: 14 December, 2010, 08:50:55 AM »

now I understand after looking last night. My car is a series 2 and I don't know if there are detail differences but there should be a series of small holes spaced at about 6 inches round the upper side of the door and at both ends where the trim terminates.I presume you wouldn't have raised the question if they were there so maybe the attachment was different in series 1 cars but I cannot see glue being the right solution to be honest.
The trim on my car is held in place by screws of the same size as the other trim on the car such as the trim under the front and rear edges of the bonnet. The trim is also off my car (i wanted to replace it but what i bought didn't fit so well and I haven't finished the job)
Option C is correct with the longer lip inside and the short against the door frame.When the door is closed with option A the short lip is is too short to reach the inner bodywork to create the desired seal.B is definitely wrong.
« Last Edit: 14 December, 2010, 09:58:29 AM by Scarpia » Logged
Sliding Pillar
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 14 December, 2010, 08:32:59 PM »

Yes, that's what I said too! Option 'C'

1955 Aurelia
1961 Lamborghini
BlueSky
Lapsed

« Reply #7 on: 15 December, 2010, 02:14:36 AM »

Thanks Ade & William, I though C was the correct option. Yes there is no sign of any screw holes, bit scary drilling that many in my doors! I've ordered some screws so I'll think about it until they get here...
I'm looking forward to see what difference the seals will make, the car is very noisy inside, around 105db at 80 km/h.
Noel

Nissan X-Trail T31 TS
John Deere LX188
Scarpia
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #8 on: 15 December, 2010, 07:59:42 AM »

maybe the seal was attached differently on a series one , but i don't see how you could hold the seals in place without screws otherwise, (have the holes been filled on your doors during a restoration perhaps?).
The holes in my doors seem to be original but the trim and attachment method aren't shown in the parts book so who knows.
BlueSky
Lapsed

« Reply #9 on: 15 December, 2010, 08:14:44 AM »

The car went through a complete restoration back in the early 90s and I would guess any holes would have been filled in then. Why they didn't fit any seals I don't know. And your right there is nothing in the S1 parts books that show how they were fastened, or like many bits, that they even exist!

Nissan X-Trail T31 TS
John Deere LX188
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #10 on: 15 December, 2010, 10:54:51 AM »

Surely worth a try sticking them on first before drilling loads of holes.
With modern adhesives I can't see it would be a problem,  bearing in mind drilled holes invariably mean rust at some point, to be avoided if possible.
When I had new sills fitted to my 2c in 1999, I didn't fancy having a lot of holes drilled in them to take the stainless steel mouldings, so  I left them off for a couple of years before deciding to stick them on, best part of 10 years and 20,000 miles down the road they are still in place.

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
Scarpia
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #11 on: 15 December, 2010, 03:25:41 PM »

Brian, I'll have you know that my "holes" are in jolly good condition after 62 years...... so you can "stick" your glue......

to be fair, whilst I wouldn't want to stick the trim on because of the mess if it doesn't work , if I didn't have the holes, i wouldn't want to drill either.... Roll Eyes
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #12 on: 15 December, 2010, 03:59:42 PM »

Brian, I'll have you know that my "holes" are in jolly good condition after 62 years...... so you can "stick" your glue......

to be fair, whilst I wouldn't want to stick the trim on because of the mess if it doesn't work , if I didn't have the holes, i wouldn't want to drill either.... Roll Eyes

How can I possibly answer that! I'm so please your holes are in good condition after 62 years, many are not and a bit frayed around the edges Wink
I had 3M's tape used for holding on badges and mouldings rather than a brushed or sprayed on adhesive so I don't think you would be left with a mess if it didn't work.
Brian
8227 Cool

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
Andrew Cox
« Reply #13 on: 16 December, 2010, 10:32:54 AM »

Hi Noel
         I have just checked the spare set of 1st  Series doors that live on the self at the back of my garage. Option C would be correct if the ancient seals on those doors were installed correctly. I could only find one retaining screw on the door frame, it was adjacent to the top lock mechanism, but no sign of a corresponding screw at the bottom of the door. I think they were originally glued on and that screws may have been added later. On a different subject, the strips that retain the "T" section seals(between the doors) are screwed on. You are welcome to the set from the abovementioned doors if you want them.

Cheers
Andrew
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd