Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 11:28:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lancia Theta? in action Silverstone 1959-1960  (Read 23169 times)
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #15 on: 26 November, 2010, 01:35:20 AM »

Brian

The Jeddre Fisher car is pictured in Franks post it was known as the greenhouse for obviois reasons.
Its the only Theta I ever saw them with.
It's now owned by Tim Jones, who expects to be out in it soon, after an extensive rebuild.

John,
Are you talking about the  green Doctors Coupe or the photo that I started the thread with?  unless the bodywork was drastically altered after my photos date, there are a number of differences such as shorter cabin, the windscreen being changed from fixed centre strut, to a horizontal opening 2 piece windscreen. Artillery Wheels in place of Discs, the front wings extended further around the front wheels. and the headlamps situated lower.
All in all it doesn't seem to add up to the same car, and if it is, it reverted to being the ugly duckling instead of the swan .
Is it possible for me to contact Tim Jones as I don't know him and I would like to discuss it with him to see if they might be one and the same.

Brian
8227 Cool
« Last Edit: 26 November, 2010, 01:49:37 AM by fay66 » Logged

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
JohnMillham
Permanent resident

« Reply #16 on: 26 November, 2010, 10:22:37 AM »

The green one was the Jeddere-Fisher car, now owned by Tim Jones. It's not the same car. Tim's a long standing VSCC member, but I'm not sure he's got round to joining the LMC yet. Roland might well know the other car, which probably isn't a Theta, as Don has written.
Roland

« Reply #17 on: 27 April, 2011, 11:42:36 PM »

This car is actually a Kappa, not a Theta - it was owned from 1954 for many years by the Lisle family and is chassis and engine number B7569 chassis built 1921, registered XK4976.
One of the later Kappas as it has the forged 'I' section front axle instead of the folded up 'U' section centre with the riveted in forged ends. Wheels are 6 stud Michelin with 895x135 beaded edge tyres. 
It had a plate by the foot pedals reading " Projetti, Orlando     
                                                         Ridge Dene
                                                         Box Ridge Avenue
                                                         Purley
                                                         Surrey
                                                         England
                                                         30 H.P LANCIA No 440  1917 KGS"
When I met this car and K S Lisle, the then owner, in January 1979 at his home ("Solva", Vine Grove, Hillingdon Middx) he told me that the car was imported by Orlando Projetti, then Italian Ambassador, in early 1921 in touring car form but as converted by Proctors of Uxbridge in 1921 to a four seater, two door saloon with a dicky taking another two, making it a six passenger car.  It was subsequently sold to a Mr Bailey from whom the Lisle garage acquired it.
The car was in excellent order and had been the subject of considerable expenditure and repainted black roof, canary yellow below the waist line, black wings and wheels with yellow hubs showing in the wheel centres. The car appeared in a film, "The Magic Box" where the carburettor spring broke, the driver got frightened and jumped out so the engine was allowed to race and was damaged. It was auctioned in London shortly after I saw it but failed to reach reserve. I think that when KS Lisle died it was inherited by his son and was later sold but I have had no contact with it or the Lisle's since the late '70s. Would like to know what happened to it - it was in just restored condition so would surely have been preserved.
More details can be found in the Spring 1968 issue of The Lancia Motor Club Journal in a article by K S Lisle with photos of car and engine.
Roland Grazebrook
johnturner
Lapsed

« Reply #18 on: 28 April, 2011, 11:45:34 AM »

A little bit more of the history of XK 4976: Arthur Bailey bought the car in 1950 from a Mr Searle, who had bought it from the Projettis, for £50. Arthur wrote to the Projettis to enquire about the car and a scan of the reply from Leslie Projetti (legible I hope) is below. This makes fascinating reading. Leslie Projetti claims that he had 78 mph out of the car which, with a 3.5:1 rear axle is perfectly credible. A couple of photographs of the car when Arthur owned it are also attached.

* Projetti-1.jpg (117.78 KB, 500x647 - viewed 740 times.)

* projetti-2.jpg (95.68 KB, 500x649 - viewed 748 times.)

* Kappa-1.jpg (66.1 KB, 500x317 - viewed 684 times.)

* Kappa-6.jpg (66.31 KB, 500x318 - viewed 676 times.)
ColinMarr
Permanent resident

« Reply #19 on: 28 April, 2011, 02:03:30 PM »

And a little bit more on the human side of the story – here is a photo taken at the Phoenix in October 2010. Arthur Bailey is on the right hand side of this picture of him and John Turner looking at Arthur’s amazing photo album, which includes details of many of the Lancias and other cars he owned over many years.

Colin

* IMG_5104a.jpg (119.92 KB, 768x576 - viewed 784 times.)
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #20 on: 14 October, 2013, 08:19:51 AM »

Is this a Theta?

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
donw
Megaposter

« Reply #21 on: 14 October, 2013, 02:22:20 PM »

YES!!! Its the 1914 "Barnstable" tourer when owned by the late Oliver Grey sold by Bonhams now owned by the Wards who rebodied it and drove it in the Peking to Paris.

I drove it when Oliver owned it it was very good but not particularly sporty unlike Roland's which really goes.

Don Williamson
Member 111 joined 26th July 1963
1917 Theta 2str
1926 Lambda torpedo
1930 Artena berlina
1933 Belna coupe
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #22 on: 14 October, 2013, 06:39:42 PM »

1980, and a few other now old cars on the road. Here is a more recent photo from the net   

* Day-3-Loiano-Capolona-54.jpg (165.62 KB, 545x363 - viewed 797 times.)

Richard Nevison Fridd                                                                      Happy Lancia, Happy Life
Roland

« Reply #23 on: 20 November, 2013, 04:48:44 PM »

Chassis number B2251 and engine number 2251, dated 1914 by VCC (Certificate number 1004). Note that the registration number is 1911 issue and must have been transferred - not unusual to keep one's own number in those days. It was bought new by Dr Eden of Harley Street, who also had a house in Devon. On holiday in 1920, Dr Eden bought a new car and the car went to a dealer in Plymouth and then to Thurlestone garage owner, Mr Dent who fancied it for a tow truck and repair van. He cut up the body accordingly and used it on and off until 1961 when Capt N J Cliff RN of Hawksland, Winkleigh, Devon and a well known VCC member, acquired it jointly with Oliver Gray, a farmer of Great Beere, North Tawton, Devon and  they applied to have it dated  by the VCC in May 1962, Mrs Eden and Mr Dent being still alive at this time and they provided much information of the early history of the car. Oliver Gray became sole owner in the early '60's and told me Dent's garage offered him the remains of the original tourer body which was "down the orchard at the back" but he did not get it.  Oliver restored the car and built  a replica of the 'Barnstaple two seat body' shown in the 1914 UK Lancia Catalogue, using the remains of the original as far back as the back of the front seats but fitting new wings which were easier for him to make.  He kept this car for many years and used in many VCC and some LMC events over the years, covering up to 15,000 miles per annum.  He then moved to Alcester in Warwickshire and started restoring veteran cars and water mills and running his own water mill. The sons sent it to auction and was bought by the Ward Brothers of Yorkshire, in, I think, 2005, who again restored the car and altered the body to enable them to take part in the Peking to Paris Rally, which they successfully completed after some trouble with stub axle breakage, the car being fitted with it's original earlier design modified to take taper roller bearings. The car is still in their possession.
Richard Fridd
Permanent resident

« Reply #24 on: 12 February, 2015, 04:05:35 PM »

Monterey 1979

* monterey.jpg (53.67 KB, 640x480 - viewed 564 times.)

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd