Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
29 March, 2024, 10:59:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: C&SC 'Greatest ever drivers' cars'  (Read 2266 times)
williamcorke
Rebel Poster

B10

« on: 02 November, 2010, 08:12:14 AM »

Received this '36- page collectors' special' supplement with my copy of Classic & Sports Car yesterday.  They seem to have polled an unusually large number of people, 'more than 100 of the most important people in the classic world, in our quest to provide the definitive answer to that age-old question: what's the best road car of all?'.  The top 25 are written-up by Martin Buckley...

Lancias do feature in the list of cars, but not necessarily the ones you'd expect; the Stratos is in 25th place and the Aurelia in 13th.  No Integrale, no Fulvia, Aprilia...

911 RS 2.7 emerges as the winner after the top 5 have been tested by Alain de Cadenet (whose own AR 8C is one of the 5 - a bit random that, or perhaps not...).

The back page has a list of voter's names, and their top choices.  Most intriguing Lancia-related choice I spotted was Lee Noble - bloke famous for sorting mid-engined car handling, Ascari / Ultima / Noble - who names the Fulvia 1600HF as one of his 3 favourites.  What's the story there I wonder, it doesn't seem like his sort of car?  Perhaps he'd like to do a feature for VL on his Fulvia experience, I'm sure he'd have something interesting to say.

'37 Aprilia
'50 B10
'53 B20
'68 Flavia Vignale
'55 Giulietta Sprint
S1 Land Rover
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 02 November, 2010, 09:45:22 AM »

Can't say I was impressed by the choice either. How can you miss a Fulvia out and list a Peugot 205, I know 205's were great cars at the time, but it's not a choice that springs instantly to mind.
If you're not talking about sheer power, rather enjoyment, I'd have had the original Fiat 500 in there somewhere, I ran them for years and biggest hoot ever for the power and size.
I bet if they ran it with a different group of experienced drivers, you'd get a different result.

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd