Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 11:06:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: something rather special on Gumtree (Dublin).....  (Read 7791 times)
toby2449
« on: 21 September, 2010, 07:44:51 PM »

Don't see one of these everyday! A used 2003 Lancia Thesis for sale in Dublin, i reckon the asking price is a bit much, could get one in Italy for less, but if someone had the cash, it'd be one hell of a car!

http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/81/58519981.html
Lindsay
« Reply #1 on: 21 September, 2010, 08:47:29 PM »

Now that is interesting! Diesel auto, the right one to have - well unless you can afford to fuel a 3.2 petrol!  No mention of miles/km so probably one thats done over 200k!
toby2449
« Reply #2 on: 21 September, 2010, 09:28:38 PM »

i e-mailed the owner, Italian i think, about the car, its still on Italian plates, he's owned it for 5 years, no registration tax has been paid in ireland, & subsequently its never had to go through an NCT (MOT). on an aside not sure how he's been able to insure it as insurance companies here are only supposed to insure foreign plate vehicles for 30 days (or up to the next renewal date). I'd love to take a trip to Dublin to test drive it though!

Funnily enough i saw an ad on another site for a 1999 Delta (LHD Italian plates) again in Dublin, but for €4000!! very optimistic owner as its just a standard 1.6 5 door!
Lindsay
« Reply #3 on: 22 September, 2010, 05:19:00 AM »

Have mailed him as well. He'll think his luck is in!  Bit wary of the Italian plates.  Do the plates not stay with the person rather than the vehicle in Italy.

Still possible to get a UK reg for these - I know the rules have been tightened in the not too distant.
Sliding Pillar
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 22 September, 2010, 06:25:57 AM »

Lindsay, the problem with importing a Thesis other than the usual lights etc (Which isn't a problem with xenons) is that you will pay the ved rate based on the date of importation, as most Thesis are in the higher tax bracket this will mean an annual bill of over £400!
This is why the Thesis that is for sale in Edinburgh is a good buy (even though it is petrol) as it was registered before March 2006 so it is only(!) £245.

1955 Aurelia
1961 Lamborghini
toby2449
« Reply #5 on: 22 September, 2010, 07:56:26 AM »

I reckon if he tries to change the registration to an Irish reg he'll run into trouble. Obviously all cars being used here (except for temp basis) need to be registered here, its difficult to get a VRT amount on a Thesis as they were never officially sold here, but this could now be quite expensive for him as the VRT rate for anything originally registered in another country prior to 1/7/08 will be based on engine size, so could be 36% of the OMSP (Open Market Selling Price) - mind you how they'd work out the OMSP is another thing!
Plus before he can register it he'll need to get an NCT (MOT), only after its passed the test can it be registered.
Also depending on how long its been here, i'd say the tax man could come after him for road tax arrears!

Apart from all that, you could buy a diesel Thesis from Germany for €4500!
Lindsay
« Reply #6 on: 22 September, 2010, 06:31:59 PM »

Lindsay, the problem with importing a Thesis other than the usual lights etc (Which isn't a problem with xenons) is that you will pay the ved rate based on the date of importation, as most Thesis are in the higher tax bracket this will mean an annual bill of over £400!
This is why the Thesis that is for sale in Edinburgh is a good buy (even though it is petrol) as it was registered before March 2006 so it is only(!) £245.

Ah, That is something I had read and had forgotten. A very fine point..... that would scupper it. No way paying £425 road tax for anything. Bugger!  Thanks Ade as I may not have recalled that at all until too late. Will need to try to work out what it would be. According to one site it puts out 221g/km. But that is possibly for the manual version - http://www.cars-of-europe.com/lancia/lancia_thesis_24_jtd_executive_ktb681.shtml.  What would that make the tax? 

Why do we put ourselves through this.......damn government. Have we had a thread on how emissions is a con anyway???!!!
toby2449
« Reply #7 on: 22 September, 2010, 06:50:23 PM »

ah people, i pay €614 a year road tax for my 2ltr Alfa 166, you Brits have it easy! hehehe

And hey, get this if i could buy a 166 new today, the road tax i'd pay would be emissions based, & would cost (have a seat!)......€2100!!!! Our road tax for new cars was changed in July 08 to get people to buy greener cars, so anything with high emissions is hugely expensive to tax.

Oh & if i imported a Thesis or bought the one in Dublin as its a 2.4ltr & pre July 2008 i'd be paying €895/year road tax!
Lindsay
« Reply #8 on: 22 September, 2010, 07:26:30 PM »

That is a total nightmare.

What gets my goat is the emissions thing is just a farce.  I mean, if I do 2000 miles in a Range Rover (which I don't cos I dont have one, nor want one) and some Pious in a Prius does 20000 miles - he pays £15 a year, and the RR driver pays £425.  Where is the damn logic?

Usual poloticians.....growl. Anyway, best not to get into this really.

Toby, you near Dublin?
toby2449
« Reply #9 on: 23 September, 2010, 09:06:47 AM »

Ah logic its something rarely used in the halls of power!

Don't live too far away from Dublin, about 45 mins drive if i take the 166, about 10 days if i take my wife's Grande Punto!
Kevin MacBride
Lapsed
Megaposter

« Reply #10 on: 23 September, 2010, 11:27:20 AM »

Friend of mine rang the seller. Lets just say he didn't 'sound' like the type of person who'd buy a Thesis, or for that matter a Lancia, in the first place. Highly suspicious, according to my friend.

B20 4th series (having a 'facelift')

2000 sedan
Fiat Multipla
Fiat Cinquecento
Lindsay
« Reply #11 on: 23 September, 2010, 04:09:37 PM »

I called him as well and he was not very forthcoming about much. Has sent 3 other photos - of the car in Italy with different wheels on. So it does not bode well. Although would be a very strange scam to try to sell a Thesis in Eire........

Oh well............
Lindsay
« Reply #12 on: 23 September, 2010, 07:50:55 PM »

Just been in further correspondence. All seems very wierd. Wheels are 16"s, not the 17s in the original ad. Sent a mail saying the miles are 105k, a day later it is 110k!! Service history ran out in 2007.

Best avoided.

Moral of the tale, always buy a Lancia from a true Lancia man (or woman!).
toby2449
« Reply #13 on: 26 September, 2010, 08:45:47 AM »

yeah the whole thing sounds a bit dodgy!!
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #14 on: 26 September, 2010, 12:11:05 PM »

You should just buy that truck and be done with it  Grin

David Laver, Lewisham.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd