Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 04:50:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lancia coming back to the UK as Chrysler  (Read 16481 times)
Paul Greenway
Megaposter

« Reply #45 on: 09 October, 2010, 12:19:16 PM »

Now your'e talking Chris, there's room for Lancia branding from top Delta's upwards, I still believe a new Ypsilon would not really work now the 500 & Mito is here (unless it's a 5-dr version with a more advanced chasis set up than the current Evo Punto).

Lancia under Fiat have produced some cracking cars take the whole range of Beta's when first established, a sedan to better the comparable Audi 80/100's, Alfetta's, BMW 2002, Cortina GXL/E/Ghia, Ascona, Magnums, Dolomite's, Saab 99, Peugeot 504 etc, a coupe to compete with the Alfetta GT/V, Scirocco, Capri 2/3Litre, MGB GT, Manta SR etc, an HPE to rival Scimitar's, Jensen GT's, P1800 ES, besides the Coupe's mentioned and a Monte Carlo to rival bottom end Porsches and Lotus's.
This range was fabulous at the time, however we all know what happened next, yet this scandal was no worse than happened at BMW (particularly the Karmann cars), Audi, or anything from Britain, France, Italy or Japan at the time. Bad marketing & terrible descision making under Fiat's PR leading to unbelievable negative media coverage destroyed Lancia in RHD markets.

Other companies kept quiet and escaped the issue and grew from there, remember in 1978 Lancia sold 11,800 cars in the UK, nearly three times as many as BMW, my how the tables have turned with 3-serie's now outselling Mondeo's.

If Chrysler could re-invent a fresh Beta series under maybe the Fulvia small sedan & coupe (TT & A4 rival)& Aurelia sedan & HPE (A6 & A7 rival) plus perhaps a Flavia SUV to rival the R-Class (Currently no luxury competitors) plus a Flaminia 4x4 badged "integrale" to rival the Q7/X5/ML/Cayenne/RR Sport all to supplement the current Delta- which could do with a jacked up version to compete with the new series of cross-overs, then providing the packaging is top drawer particularly on emissions, quality, aftersales and residuals, potentially they have a winner.

All platforms would obviously have to be shared with Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep products, but for Europe Lancia would need to be aimed upmarket with special customer centres, giving aspiring executives what they want and making the car purchasing process an absolute pleasure, including family themed experiences so the kids enjoy it too. People go to top hotels not for value, but because they want pampering, it makes them feel better and if they get something back they will buy the associated product.

Have I sold anyone a new Lancia?

1972 Fulvia Sport 1600

Previous- 78 Montecarlo, 83 HPE VX, 88 integrale, 89 Delta GTie, 90 Y10GTie, 90 Dedra 2.0ieSE, 91 HF Turbo, 91 integrale 16v, 09 Thesis Centenario, 12 Delta 2.0M-J
HF_Dave
Megaposter

Rust , What Rust !! I don't See any rust !!!

« Reply #46 on: 09 October, 2010, 08:14:44 PM »

Platform sharing can work, the Ypsilon I have is built on the Punto platform, yet if you slam the door on a punto it closes with a "clang" when you slam   the door on the Ypsilon it closes with a nice re-assuring "thud". Now my Ypsilon has 140000 kms on the clock, also the finish , superb flat paint finish and good panel fit. Dont forget the luxurious Alcantara interior, Need I say more. Cool

My Current Cars:

1991 Thema station wagon
1989 Thema 16v
2011 Lancia Delta 3

1977 Beta sedan 2000
1975 Fulvia S3 1.3
1973 Flavia HF 2000 Coupe
1972 Fulvia S2 1.3
1989 Thema 8.32
**Other Makes**
2018 Alfa Giulia
1999 Alfa 156