Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 05:22:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: South African Fulvias  (Read 5280 times)
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« on: 03 September, 2010, 07:19:12 PM »

Out of interest how big were the bits in the kits they shipped?  Was the paint applied before or after?

David

David Laver, Lewisham.
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 04 September, 2010, 12:20:08 AM »

Here's one of a woman's Fulvia - Carol's "Tigger".  The singing and dancing deedle-dude mascot is strategically placed to distract concours judges from the underbonnet paintwork.  Grin

The nearby red ID plate shows that Tigger was assembled in South Africa by Daihatsu.

Guy,
Are there any records of the Fulvia production at the Daihatsu Factory, as I'm still trying for any further information on my friends series 2 that was built there, and has the same plate?

Brian
8227 Cool

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
St Volumex
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

Owner of RetroPart

« Reply #2 on: 04 September, 2010, 06:09:20 AM »

I know Carol's Tigger is a bit too yellow, but it's been repainted at least once in its life, and really needs it again  Smiley

David, the kits were complete bodies, engines, gearboxes etc. assembled in Durban.  Tyres, batteries and such like were supplied locally.  Bodies were painted here, and all Fulvias assembled here had carpeted interiors not rubber mats.

Brian, I really should try and see what I can unearth as Motor Assemblies (the plant that built early Toyotas in South Africa) also assembled Flavias, and TAK (the Joburg Lancia agents) set up a small plant in Brakpan to assemble Beta coupes from kits.  Shocked

Guy McDougall
www.facebook.com/RetroPart
Rare Parts for Rare Machines
Appia Coupé S3 (Rosina), Appia Berlina S3 (La Giaconda), Fulvia 1.3S 5 spd coupé (Tigger, belongs to Carol), Beta Spyder S2 (Vivaldi), Montecarlo Spyder S2, HPE VX (Pugsly) etc
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #3 on: 04 September, 2010, 10:21:25 AM »

I know Carol's Tigger is a bit too yellow, but it's been repainted at least once in its life, and really needs it again  Smiley

David, the kits were complete bodies, engines, gearboxes etc. assembled in Durban.  Tyres, batteries and such like were supplied locally.  Bodies were painted here, and all Fulvias assembled here had carpeted interiors not rubber mats.

Brian, I really should try and see what I can unearth as Motor Assemblies (the plant that built early Toyotas in South Africa) also assembled Flavias, and TAK (the Joburg Lancia agents) set up a small plant in Brakpan to assemble Beta coupes from kits.  Shocked
Guy,
I actually emailed their successors but I've never received an answer apart from an acknowledgement of my email.

Brian

Dedra Technical Adviser
St Volumex
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

Owner of RetroPart

« Reply #4 on: 04 September, 2010, 10:43:16 AM »

Guy,
I actually emailed their successors but I've never received an answer apart from an acknowledgement of my email.

Brian

Brian, we are getting a bit off topic here, but was that Daihatsu, Motor Assemblies, or TAK's successors?  What information are you hoping to find?

There's another way we could tackle this. In the 80s there was an A5-size SA production booklet listing the numbers of various makes and models sold.  Or are you wanting engine & chassis nos. etc?

Guy McDougall
Appia Coupé S3 (Rosina), Appia Berlina S3 (La Giaconda), Fulvia 1.3S 5 spd coupé (Tigger, belongs to Carol), Beta Spyder S2 (Vivaldi), Montecarlo Spyder S2, HPE VX (Pugsly) etc
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #5 on: 05 September, 2010, 12:03:52 AM »

Guy,

Brian

Brian, we are getting a bit off topic here, but was that Daihatsu, Motor Assemblies, or TAK's successors?  What information are you hoping to find?

There's another way we could tackle this. In the 80s there was an A5-size SA production booklet listing the numbers of various makes and models sold.  Or are you wanting engine & chassis nos. etc?

Guy,
Anything specific to chassis number would be great, but any information regarding the Production would be welcome.
Here is who I wrote to, and the acknowledgement of it being forwarded, to which I've never received a reply.

Dear Mr. Hilton,

Please note that I have forwarded your email to Associated Motor Holdings.

Kind Regards

Charlene Prinsloo
Corporate Web Services
Co-ordinator- Development
(+27) 12 654-3116 Phone
086 695 9751 Local Fax
e-mail:charlene@corporatewebservices.co.za
www.corporatewebservices.co.za

Stuart, any chance of moving this discussion re South African Fulvia's to another thread of it's own please.

Brian
8227 Cool

Dedra Technical Adviser
stuwilson128
Non-LMC Seller
Rebel Poster

« Reply #6 on: 05 September, 2010, 07:53:50 PM »

Brian,

As requested!  I hope it reads ok now it has been split from the Underbonnet Shots thread!

Stu.

Stuart Wilson 11175
1973 Fulvia Coupe 1.3
2000 Lybra SW 2.4JTd
2009 Delta 1.9 Twin Turbo
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #7 on: 06 September, 2010, 12:16:09 AM »

Brian,

As requested!  I hope it reads ok now it has been split from the Underbonnet Shots thread!

Stu.

Thanks Stuart.

Brian
8227 Cool

Dedra Technical Adviser
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #8 on: 06 September, 2010, 12:36:16 AM »

Out of interest how big were the bits in the kits they shipped?  Was the paint applied before or after?

David

David,
When I worked for Vauxhalls we used to ship CKD (Completely Knocked Down) kits all over the place for local assembly, quite often it would be complete sets of pre assembled pressings ie Body sides, or maybe just the panels, usually with all the running gear and trim, as trim is hard to reproduce without correct tooling.

With somewhere like South Africa I would have thought that Lancia shipped the panels, trim & mechanical components but with parts such as Tyres, Batteries,  would be part of the local content supplied. In fact as far as Vauxhall were concerned all our CKD kits were turned into cars, vans, & lorries in the GM plant in SA.
In some cases, such as Portugal where in the 1960's & 1970's where we used to ship CKD Kits for the BTV (Basic Transport Vehicle), we supplied the HA Van running gear & power units steering, instruments, but the local content consisted of them building the chassis, making simple flat body panels and wooden pick up bodies in their own plant, in some very poor countries they were assembled in the open under a lean to.
Asia was always a difficult place to build vehicles, as they had to paint everything they manufactured during the day by the end of the shift, as with the high humidity the bare metal body would turn to red rust overnight.
Brian
8227 Cool
My hasn't Portugal come a long way in 30 years!

Dedra Technical Adviser
St Volumex
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

Owner of RetroPart

« Reply #9 on: 06 September, 2010, 09:57:49 AM »

Thanks Brian, that's wonderful, and gives me a good point of departure to find something.

I am looking at further local information, and should be able to report back soon.

Guy McDougall
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd