Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 08:55:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: steering shaft bearings  (Read 1972 times)
dhla40

« on: 02 September, 2010, 06:13:11 PM »

When I dismantled the steering column on my S2 coupe some loose ball bearings fell out from the bottom of the shaft.  Now a year later on assebling the shaft if I put the bearings in where I think they should go the inner shaft does not protrude far enough to fit the wheel properly.  On investigation the upper bush has just a metal seat and a nylon collar, no balls apparent.  If I assemble the shaft without the ball bearings everything lines up and no play is felt.  If anyone has taken apart a S2 steering column in the past could you tell me what you found, balls or no balls Grin

Sean 

1976 1.3s coupe
1973 1.3s coupe
1982 montecarlo project
1976 alfa GT
1981 alfa spider
dhla40

« Reply #1 on: 03 September, 2010, 12:23:08 PM »

Problem solved, when I removed the steering column it was still attached to the box and the action of the spring on the bottom section must have pushed the inner race of the lower bearing through the outer hence the loose balls.  When I reassembled the shaft on the bench the inner race did not seat properly so I had to remove the outer race and assemble the bearing first and then fit it to the column housing.  Everything now lines up and on further inspection the upper bearing is also intact.  Result, I was worrying how to get hold of some likely 'unobtanium' bearings but now another job is done and I am one step closer to actually getting this thing on the road Grin

Sean 

1976 1.3s coupe
1973 1.3s coupe
1982 montecarlo project
1976 alfa GT
1981 alfa spider
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd