Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 08:07:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spanish Aurelia Project  (Read 44770 times)
adrian donovan

Aurelia 4th series

« Reply #60 on: 18 February, 2011, 08:36:58 PM »

..of course you could just go for the factory standard of the black bakelite wheel - but then I'm biased - I think mine is the only 4th series left with one - at least it's distinctive nowadays!!!
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #61 on: 19 February, 2011, 09:47:32 AM »

You are right Adrian - the black bakelite wheel if in good condition is a thing of beauty and very tactile.
Isnt it a shame that the 'expert' (who obviously has quite a lot of knowledge) is not more user friendly? It would be interesting to exactly know when the wheels started to be stamped 'Nardi' om the reverse and when the signature first appeared etc.
I have a few 1950's 'Nardi' Aurelia steering wheels which are all different and each with its own character although on a long journey I have always felt the need to wear driving gloves as the slim wooden wheels end up making my hands a little sore.
On my B20 Srs 3 racer I have a slightly dished Nardi Alfa wheel fitted which deflects slightly and I am thinking of changing this to a leather Abarth wheel which is the same (largeish) diameter which I lioke but stiffer and thicker ri,,ed.
I have also always been curious as to who the manufacturer was of the steering wheels fitted to the later B20's and Jacky's B24S Convertible. No markings whatsoever on these and they are nice wheels.
I have a couple of large brand new Nardi wheels which are actually quite nice apart from the fcat that the wood varnish is a bit too shiny. To my eyes they dont look right on a 50's car certainly but they look to me to be better made than the modern UK made wheels'
However if your bakelite wheel is cracked and if you cant get an old Nardi wheel or the price of the old wheel is just too high then these modern wheels are better than nothing..
And finally....who made the woodrim 2 spoke wheels as fitted to Jacky's aluminium early Fulvia Sport? Lovely wheels although prone to bending slightly. 

Chris Gawne
Mobile: 07778 216552
williamcorke
Rebel Poster

B10

« Reply #62 on: 19 February, 2011, 02:26:43 PM »

If I could find a nice bakelite (or is it actually some other material, seems to me to be too glossy to be bakelite?) I would be tempted to take that route.  I'm definitely keeping the column change.

I think there is something in the Jonassen book about wheel manufacturers but I'm at an airport and can't look it up  now.

Anyone got a plastic wheel for me?
« Last Edit: 04 March, 2011, 04:53:24 PM by williamcorke » Logged

'37 Aprilia
'50 B10
'53 B20
'68 Flavia Vignale
'55 Giulietta Sprint
S1 Land Rover
adrian donovan

Aurelia 4th series

« Reply #63 on: 21 February, 2011, 08:50:16 PM »

William - I'm sure you can find a black wheel out there - they were standard on the B12 ( I agree they're not bakelite !) condition might be tricky though...

Chris - it might be worth talking to Rijk Heuff - I know he has restored a lot of wooden wheels as one of his many sidelines - so he may have the practical experience needed....I thought the 5th & 6th series wheels are very attractive - weren't they made by Nardi ? ( but that wheel in the thread with the black insert isn't from the 50's - it looks much later to me......)
Niels Jonassen

« Reply #64 on: 23 February, 2011, 09:35:30 PM »

Allow me to return to the question of steering wheels. I am fairly sure that you are right in thinking that the wheel you have was supplied from Nardi to the early B20s as a substitute to the standard creme coloured steering wheels. The steering wheel on the second photo is the one supplied as standard to the 5th and 6th series B20s. This is not a Nardi product. It was supplied by Pagliani & Provenzale of Turin. It will fit on the steering column of the earlier series, but the contact ring for the horn does not fit. The shroud covering the steering column does not fit either.
Niels
williamcorke
Rebel Poster

B10

« Reply #65 on: 04 March, 2011, 04:51:59 PM »

I've found a nice B12 wheel in Italy (including the horn push, undamaged horn ring etc.) for less than the re-wooding of my Nardi wheel would cost.  Given that I don't know how or when I'll be able to track down a horn button for the Nardi even assuming the rest of it can be restored (which I think it can), I'm going to buy the plastic one and see how I like it.  Which I think I will a lot!

Meanwhile, a wheel like 'my' Nardi pops up on ebay in Holland;
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lancia-Aurelia-B20-B24-Nardi-steering-wheel-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem19c3adbadaQQitemZ110657125082QQptZVintageQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

This one looks exactly the same in construction as mine, but has the E.Nardi. signature on the upper right spoke.  Asking price $2,100!  Without a horn button, and needing the hub re-chroming - which process will require major dismantling and re-constructive surgery.  At that sort of value (or even half of it) I should get my one sorted out and sell it on to pay for something else...

'37 Aprilia
'50 B10
'53 B20
'68 Flavia Vignale
'55 Giulietta Sprint
S1 Land Rover
adrian donovan

Aurelia 4th series

« Reply #66 on: 16 March, 2011, 10:57:30 PM »

William - I'm sure you'll like your plastic wheel - and wiring it up to make the horn push work will keep you fully engaged with it!
williamcorke
Rebel Poster

B10

« Reply #67 on: 17 March, 2011, 02:04:46 AM »

William - I'm sure you'll like your plastic wheel - and wiring it up to make the horn push work will keep you fully engaged with it!

Adrian, your encouragement has the distinctive tone of the voice of experience.  Is there something I should know?

'37 Aprilia
'50 B10
'53 B20
'68 Flavia Vignale
'55 Giulietta Sprint
S1 Land Rover
adrian donovan

Aurelia 4th series

« Reply #68 on: 23 March, 2011, 06:34:05 PM »

William - no, don't be put off! -It can just be a bit fiddly, keeping the two little springs in the horn ring and the bigger spring in the middle all co-ordinated when it goes back together - and getting the little plunger to keep contact on the brass track on the wheel. I hope I haven't made it sound too bad....take heart, if I can do it..... !!!
williamcorke
Rebel Poster

B10

« Reply #69 on: 31 March, 2011, 11:36:21 AM »

Plastic B12 wheel has now arrived.  Condition and completeness much as expected.  My main concern from the photo I had of it was that the plastic might have started to crack up (crumble, oxidise?) in a major way, but fortunately the crusty surface visible in the photo below turned out to dirt, and easily removed with a little soapy water.  The plastic isn’t as midnight-black as it would have been when new, but I’d rather not paint it.  There are a couple of cracks, which could be filled if it mattered to me, but from my point of view the wheel doesn't need (or want) any substantial restoration before it's put to work.  Just need the car to steer it with done then.

I think I might have to look at Adrian's wheel's internal workings (if he'll let me) to figure out how the electrical connections and springs go together.  Does the centre boss operate a high-beam flash?  The B12 instructions are not enlightening on this (two examples below, from instruction book and wikipedia), though from looking at the mechanism (brass plunger with two rubber O rings to insulate) it's clear that the boss is a separate 'switch' to the horn ring...  The Nardi wheel that was on the car is only wired for the horn, so will there be a blanked-off wire for a light flasher somewhere in the steering column? Investigation required.

* Lancia aurelia b12 ricambi - Accessori Auto In vendita Modena_1301568862509.jpg (56.17 KB, 646x590 - viewed 537 times.)

* Lancia_B12_comandi.JPG (134.57 KB, 597x700 - viewed 476 times.)

* S2_Berlina_uso.jpg (71.88 KB, 509x735 - viewed 440 times.)
« Last Edit: 01 April, 2011, 09:14:57 AM by williamcorke » Logged

'37 Aprilia
'50 B10
'53 B20
'68 Flavia Vignale
'55 Giulietta Sprint
S1 Land Rover
adrian donovan

Aurelia 4th series

« Reply #70 on: 03 April, 2011, 06:10:22 PM »

William - not a problem - but there's only one wire up to the horn button! The main/dip is controlled by the winker lever at the side of the column. Only the centre button operates the horn - the D ring is really only for show.The little springs on the arms of the wheel keep the D ring in place. Good luck! Adrian
chriswgawne
Permanent resident

« Reply #71 on: 04 April, 2011, 08:33:58 AM »

And unless you are very fortunate, the winker lever on the steering column which controls the headlamp dip as Adrian will be tired. The last time I tried to find a replacement I failed and consequently had no choice but to bring my existing one back to life.
Maybe they are available now but I have looked at Padova for ther last few years without success.
Chris

Chris Gawne
Mobile: 07778 216552
williamcorke
Rebel Poster

B10

« Reply #72 on: 04 April, 2011, 11:10:07 AM »

And unless you are very fortunate, the winker lever on the steering column which controls the headlamp dip as Adrian will be tired. The last time I tried to find a replacement I failed and consequently had no choice but to bring my existing one back to life.
Maybe they are available now but I have looked at Padova for the last few years without success.
Chris

The car has its original winker mechanism (missing the lever) though I haven't explored condition yet; and Ron Francis has provided another 're-buildable' complete unit.  Probably they will both be knackered...

So much fun ahead!

Adrian, thanks for info on the wheel.  It seems a bit strange the the 'horn ring' is decorative only, and the user manual clearly shows the ring as operating the horn.  Why engineer the ring to be 'suspended' on springs so it can move, unless that movement can make/break a circuit?

'37 Aprilia
'50 B10
'53 B20
'68 Flavia Vignale
'55 Giulietta Sprint
S1 Land Rover
adrian donovan

Aurelia 4th series

« Reply #73 on: 06 April, 2011, 07:28:18 PM »

William - have a look at mine - I guess you'll be coming to the Aurelia lunch with camera and note book?!
williamcorke
Rebel Poster

B10

« Reply #74 on: 06 April, 2011, 11:53:16 PM »

William - have a look at mine - I guess you'll be coming to the Aurelia lunch with camera and note book?!

Not committed yet (to the lunch, that is), but living in hope.  Late notice might mean I'd be stuck at the bar not a table if I do turn up, or out in the car park anoraking about with aforementioned notebook...

'37 Aprilia
'50 B10
'53 B20
'68 Flavia Vignale
'55 Giulietta Sprint
S1 Land Rover
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd