Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
19 March, 2024, 08:33:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Broken Aurelia...!!  (Read 3252 times)
Kevin MacBride
Lapsed
Megaposter

« on: 04 July, 2010, 11:29:23 PM »

Very odd thing happened on Sunday. Had a choice, go to my sisters 40th wedding annivesary, or go to a car show in my Aurelia...simple really, go to both. The plan was, head to the show at 10ish, with 6 year old son with ear defenders, then leave early, go home, pick up wife and 3 year old, drop them to babysitter, head to party...
Rain and gales were forecast, go to the show, parked up alongside a few Flavia coops, a Fulvia, a few Betas (Trevi and Spyders as well) and a selection of Deltas. Rain stopped and a very hot sun came out, at about 3 we headed home.
With about 40ish miles to go I heard (or felt) a strange sound, not a rattle, not a screech, but something different. As my car has no interior, no roofcloth, no mats, plus side exiting exhausts you tend to get used to every sound the car make.
Anyway, just as I pulled off the motorway onto MY road, the noise returned, as usual I glanced at the guages. I have a few non standard one fitted, oil press, water temp, volts, amps etc, but the only one I ever worry about is the big red lamp, marked OIL. seeing as this was not on, I ignored the rest. Then there was a defenite 'clunk', and something bounced off the floor. still the red lamp stayed silent, and as the noise has ceased, I naturally assumed that my car had fixed itself.
Then I did notice the clocks, water temp increased, oil press stayed firm, amp and volts went zero...I had no choice but to pull in.
On opening the bonnet, I noticed that the fan belt was still intact, as was the dynamo....however, the crank pully was missing, gone, kaput.
Has this ever happened to anyone else ?...I'm still in a mild shock...has the crank broken ? did the bolt shear, or work itself loose ?
Had to ring wifey, have her tow me home (only a mile or so), and then on to the party. I had a quick drive up the road to look for the pully, but didn't have enough time for a proper look. I'll have to leave that till another day.
« Last Edit: 04 July, 2010, 11:31:48 PM by Kevin MacBride » Logged

B20 4th series (having a 'facelift')

2000 sedan
Fiat Multipla
Fiat Cinquecento
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #1 on: 05 July, 2010, 12:57:14 AM »

Sorry to hear your bad news Kevin,
Not on Aurelia, but I had the bolt holding the crankshaft pulley on undo itself about 2 years ago, the bolt had come off but was caught on the subframe, but due to how close the pulley is to the bottom of the radiator it was unable to come far enough forward to fall off, even though it was sliding backwards and forwards; just amazed that the bolt had managed to come out completely, as there was no way I could replace it without removing the radiator, why it came loose I have no idea as it hadn't been touched for the previous 10 years Huh?

Brian
8227 Cool

* C-Shaft Bolt Missing.jpg (430.17 KB, 1573x1200 - viewed 463 times.)

* New Bolt & Locktite.jpg (369.87 KB, 986x758 - viewed 452 times.)

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
Kevin MacBride
Lapsed
Megaposter

« Reply #2 on: 16 July, 2010, 12:04:50 PM »

Got a new pulley from Cavalitto. Funny, I had a man in recently looking for an engine mount for a 1997 Punto GT....no longer available from Fiat. So far, the parts supply for my B20 has been 100%...amazing really.

B20 4th series (having a 'facelift')

2000 sedan
Fiat Multipla
Fiat Cinquecento
thecolonel
« Reply #3 on: 16 July, 2010, 06:08:46 PM »

I lost a crankshaft pulley bolt on a BMW 2002 years ago, partially my fault as I
didn't realise it should have been at 250 lbs, still managed to drive home though
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd