Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
29 March, 2024, 01:42:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Factory RHD Evo?  (Read 13804 times)
thecolonel
« Reply #15 on: 25 June, 2010, 09:08:27 PM »

Oi, I think I said that several posts ago....
 Grin
fay66
Permanent resident

« Reply #16 on: 25 June, 2010, 10:56:55 PM »

I think that was Bell & Colvill that converted the Alfa Spiders. Am I right in thinking that it was Mike Spence that did some integrale conversions?

Remember looking at a RHD conversion once, although I can't remember by whom, the hole in the bulkhead for the RHD column, looked like it had been done by the new workshop boy, who was given a tin opener to to the job with as his only tool.

Lancia quality engineering it wasn't!
Brian
8227 Cool.

Own 1966 Fulvia 2C Berlina since 1997, back on road 11-1999.Known as "Fay"
2006 Renault Megane 1 5 Dci Sports Tourer
Dedra Technical Adviser
jimb
« Reply #17 on: 26 June, 2010, 10:12:28 AM »

I either heard or read somewhere that Radford converted 50 new 8 valve Integrale to RHD. Not many are thought to have servived as they were not rustproofed where the hole for the steering column was cut. Maybe this is where the story of the 48 factory units comes from?

Jimb
Kevin MacBride
Lapsed
Megaposter

« Reply #18 on: 27 June, 2010, 10:52:07 PM »

Just as further confirmation, taking one simple component...The Steering Rack. Lancia did not manufacture a RHD version for any version of the Delta 4WD models. I could list all the other components they did not list in RHD, bulkhead, pedal box etc. It's daft to assume they did produce these parts for a few 'factory models' and then not proceed with manufacturing the model in RHD. While the car is obviously RHD, and could be a very good example, why not just list it as a RHD conversion, instead of claiming it to be what its not.

B20 4th series (having a 'facelift')

2000 sedan
Fiat Multipla
Fiat Cinquecento
HPEHF
Megaposter

« Reply #19 on: 28 June, 2010, 12:45:55 PM »

It must also be said that the 2 special editions that went only to Japan which also drive on the right were not converted from LHD. This would then have made the run that much more economical for production, altough I suppose they did not think they would have done the 2nd run at the begining.

Regards

Simon Davis
038tipo
Megaposter

« Reply #20 on: 30 June, 2010, 11:59:57 AM »

Correct, the main converters were Mike Spence and John Whalley.Regatta diesel racks were used and assorted other HF Turbo parts.
The amount of travel for the hydraulic pipes on the brakes was over double over a standard car for instance.
Paul.
frankxhv773t
Permanent resident

« Reply #21 on: 30 June, 2010, 09:36:21 PM »

I agree. No factory built right hand drives. I have a feeling John Whalley in Bishops Stortford did some too. I suspect that if the seller has documentation it may be paperwork from Lancia UK saying the warranty is still valid?

As to avoiding conversions, Peter Dicks, the Herts & Beds organiser has a RHD 8 valve and has no issues with it at all. I think there was some variation in the quality of the conversions. Those that use the Regatta steering rack are said to be far too low geared for the performance of the car. However Peter assures me that his has the same number of turns lock-to-lock as any other 8 valve. I think another issue was how securely the rack was mounted on the less good conversions, lack of reinforcement in the bulkhead.

At the end of the day, if it's a good conversion and the price isn't silly it could be a perfectly decent car.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd