Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
28 March, 2024, 07:59:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: B20 wins Le Mans !!  (Read 4691 times)
Kevin MacBride
Lapsed
Megaposter

« on: 23 June, 2010, 12:19:47 AM »

Well, not really...the annual running of Classic Car Live at Mondello on the 20th was my 2nd and best win of the event. We had a Le Mans type start in front of a packed grandstand (doing up belts whilst racing is not to be recommended). After 2 laps I was just holding of an XK Jag when one car had a mishap and ran off into the gravel, no damage to man or car but the race was red flagged and re-started on the grid. I had massive clutch slip and the XK took the lead, I nearly had a Frazer Nash as a bootlid ornament as I struggled to get going. I managed to catch the Jag and we had a fine battle for about 10 laps, swapping the lead a few times, I had a do or die dive on the final lap and held off for a win. Photo is a candid shot of myself and family and some of the cars. We had pre war, 50's, modsports, 70's and old Formula Fords. Plus almost 1000 'classic' cars in the infield, and a celebration of 100 years of Alfa Romeo. Add to that temps exceeding 25 degrees is was a good day for all.

* Mondello 20th June 2010.jpg (78.83 KB, 720x540 - viewed 444 times.)

B20 4th series (having a 'facelift')

2000 sedan
Fiat Multipla
Fiat Cinquecento
Jai Sharma
Megaposter

« Reply #1 on: 23 June, 2010, 09:34:58 AM »

Excellent!
St Volumex
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

Owner of RetroPart

« Reply #2 on: 26 June, 2010, 10:07:46 AM »

Well done!

Guy McDougall
www.facebook.com/RetroPart
Rare Parts for Rare Machines
Appia Coupé S3 (Rosina), Appia Berlina S3 (La Giaconda), Fulvia 1.3S 5 spd coupé (Tigger, belongs to Carol), Beta Spyder S2 (Vivaldi), Montecarlo Spyder S2, HPE VX (Pugsly) etc
HF_Dave
Megaposter

Rust , What Rust !! I don't See any rust !!!

« Reply #3 on: 26 June, 2010, 10:57:32 AM »

I was there, what a great race. I think you provided the best entertainment of the day, well done. Grin

My Current Cars:

1991 Thema station wagon
1989 Thema 16v
2011 Lancia Delta 3

1977 Beta sedan 2000
1975 Fulvia S3 1.3
1973 Flavia HF 2000 Coupe
1972 Fulvia S2 1.3
1989 Thema 8.32
**Other Makes**
2018 Alfa Giulia
1999 Alfa 156
2009 Fiat Du
DavidLaver
Permanent resident

« Reply #4 on: 26 June, 2010, 12:19:41 PM »

Let me guess....you're glad you didn't sell it  Grin

David Laver, Lewisham.
Kevin MacBride
Lapsed
Megaposter

« Reply #5 on: 01 July, 2010, 12:05:30 AM »

I have a DVD of a few laps of the race, when I figure out how to post it on utube, I'll put up a link.  I am glad I didn't sell the car. The last time I drove it was at the last race in October, the day before this event I checked the oil, fuel and water, started it up, gave the tyres a kick and a pump, drove it to Mondello and left it in a pit garage overnight. the first run it had was in practise, which sorted out the brakes and shook off the cobwebs. Even after 10 years with the car, it never ceases to amaze.
For those of you who've never driven an Aurelia, they are hard to define, as you tend to forget just how old they are. I was thinking of them recently when reading the article in Viva Lancia about the opinion Ferrari racers had of the D50's. they disliked the cars because of the 'neutral' handling. An Aurelia is very much the same, very little understeer or oversteer till you reach the limit...thing is...you very rarely have to reach the limit. I found that all I had to do was 'drive' the car reasonably fast to keep with the XK, safe in the knowledge that I'd eventually pass. Observing the Jag from my seat was interesting, each exit from it was a mass of oversteer, followed by a squirm under power as he pulled away, eventually all I did was hold an inside line whilst he found himself sliding away whilst the B20 held its line to the next corner. If only they'd developed the engine a little more, even 50 hp more would make it uncatchable with contemporary machinary.

2000 sedan
Fiat Multipla
Fiat Cinquecento
Parisien
Administrator
Permanent resident

« Reply #6 on: 24 December, 2013, 07:22:04 PM »

Kevin, did you ever up-load the DVD of your B20 racing?

P

Frank Gallagher
Kevin MacBride
Lapsed
Megaposter

« Reply #7 on: 28 December, 2013, 07:58:30 PM »

Kevin, did you ever up-load the DVD of your B20 racing?

P

No, for some reason the dvd will not load onto my PC. It was recorded by a spectator, who gave me a copy on disc. I can watch the disc on the pc easily enough, but if I try to download it, all I get is a 'still image' of the opening frame of the video.

2000 sedan
Fiat Multipla
Fiat Cinquecento
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd