Lancia Motor Club Forum Banner
29 March, 2024, 05:36:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Need to contact the Forum Administrator? e-mail forum.admin@lanciamc.co.uk, for Database Administrator e-mail database.admin@lanciamc.co.uk      -      Copy deadline for Viva Lancia is 12th of each month.      -      For Events e-mail events@lanciamc.co.uk      -      To Join the club go to http://www.lanciamc.co.uk/join.htm

Home   Help Search Calendar Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fulvia pistons  (Read 2285 times)
thecolonel
« on: 01 June, 2010, 10:12:46 PM »

Can anyone explain the difference in pistons marked A and B ?

Geoff
ncundy
Lapsed
Rebel Poster

« Reply #1 on: 01 June, 2010, 10:31:03 PM »

It's a manufacturing tolerance. The blocks are bored on multihead machines and it is not possible (or certainly not then) to have a controlled tolerance on the bore tight enough to enable a single piston diameter on the build line. So they used two "as new" piston sizes (on a Fulvia: absolute, A and +0.05, B). This kept the manufacturing line ticking along nicely.

On a Fulvia the tops of pistons are stamped, and the block is stamped next to the cylinder on the top face with the appropriate class type that was fitted at build in that position. My engine has two A and two B pistons. It's quite common on engines (I would imagine Gammas have something similar?). I seem to remember from my Integrale days that the piston class (A or B) was stamped on the outside of the block on that engine.

1969 Fanalone, Mazda RX-8, Fiat Multipla
thecolonel
« Reply #2 on: 02 June, 2010, 09:17:11 AM »

Thank you.

Geoff
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Contact the Forum Administrator

LMC Forum copyright © 2007 - 2021 Lancia Motor Club Ltd